Windows Installation drive

Deux Alpha

How much capacity do I need on my USB drive for a Windows 10 installation? Is 4GB enough or should I go for 8GB?
Also, can I save a Windows image (backup) on that same drive, or can it only have the bootable installer?
TIA
(Sorry for the dumb questions)

EDIT: Can I have *insert undefined Linux distro* (something in the neighbourhood of Ubuntu or Mint)  and Windows installers on the same USB drive?

3 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

How much capacity do I need on my USB drive for a Windows 10 installation? Is 4GB enough or should I go for 8GB?
Also, can I save a Windows image (backup) on that same drive, or can it only have the bootable installer?
TIA
(Sorry for the dumb questions)

Minimum 8GB, as specified by Microsoft for windows installation

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Minimum 8GB, as specified by Microsoft for windows installation

Actually they say: "USB flash drive with at least 5GB free space." hence the question

2 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

Actually they say: "USB flash drive with at least 5GB free space." hence the question

8GB just to be on a safe side. 

1 minute ago, Deux Alpha said:

Odd, I thought I checked recently but I must be mistaken. Regardless, a 4GB drive obviously wouldn't cut it, so you'll need 8 (or I guess find something in between, which is rare)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

After you created the install image on the USB drive you can put whatever else you want on it. So if you want a full backup of the OS and apps on it as well I would buy a big USB stick :)

9 hours ago, LinusOnLine said:

After you created the install image on the USB drive you can put whatever else you want on it. So if you want a full backup of the OS and apps on it as well I would buy a big USB stick :)

how big? XD

42 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

how big? XD

Depends what you want to put into it. Someone on the forums installed Windows with 200gb external hard drive. Win installer is DVD size, so 4.7Gb (5.6Gb last I did it because of all the latest updates, but since you have 8gb drive anyway...)

E: As per Linux question, if you partition USB, you can have multiple bootable partitions. Its not that different from internal drive.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv