Can you Game in VR on a Budget?

CPotter

you guys should do a video on the Gear VR Lense Mod for the HTC Vive, use your 3D printer to print the adapters, supposedly it gives the image a much bigger sweet spot so you can look around with your eyes instead of having to move your head to look directly at stuff.

Neat but I think we all knew that you do VR on a quad core and a 1060 - source : Every gaming laptop ever

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Wheres the test with a rx580 and a vega 56

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Now for the ultimate question! What about a core I5 and a GTX 1050? Nvmd here are the results on that. (after a lot of OC'ing on the 1050, I did not touch the voltage though.) 

If you were curious this is what stock speeds look like

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I don't think a current generation i3 is the best use of your money. DDR4 is expensive. I used an i7 3770 prebuilt I got for free, then got an RX 580 off Ebay. When you add in the cost of the new power supply and USB 3.0 card, I got a VR ready PC for around $300.

What about productivity in VR?

I'd love to see if LTT editors can work with a VR headset instead of a multi-monitor setup.

23 minutes ago, LaSardine said:

What about productivity in VR?

I'd love to see if LTT editors can work with a VR headset instead of a multi-monitor setup.

Because of the screendoor effect in VR, a problem caused by being so close to the pixels. Using current VR headsets doesn't work for productivity. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Because of the screendoor effect in VR, a problem caused by being so close to the pixels. Using current VR headsets doesn't work for productivity. 

Oh I see.. So higher resolution VR headsets would make this issue to disappear?

Which resolution do you reckon would be the bare minimum for VR productivity to be manageable?

I have a question. Since Oculus is owned by Facebook, are there any major privacy concerns there? Would the possible data sharing between Oculus and FB we worth the extra $100 for the Vive? Sorry if this is a silly concern, I'm just not all that knowledgeable about that kind of thing.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

Well, the Rift sensors are literally infrared cameras. I don't mind because my PC is only on when I am doing VR, but if you keep your PC on 24/7, then privacy may be a concern. Even if Facebook isn't spying on you, you could pick up malware that streams your camera data to the internet. Realistically, there is probably nothing to worry about though because your computer drivers don't treat the sensors as traditional web cameras.

So is the occulus compatible with all steam VR games?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, OJTheAviator said:

I have a question. Since Oculus is owned by Facebook, are there any major privacy concerns there? Would the possible data sharing between Oculus and FB we worth the extra $100 for the Vive? Sorry if this is a silly concern, I'm just not all that knowledgeable about that kind of thing.

Privacy concerns are fair, and Facebook has an awful track record there. I think they're being cautious about that with Oculus though, at least in these early years as they try to build a platform. I'd be more concerned about them 5-10 years from now than today, but it's still a valid concern.

Also keep in mind other companies may not be any better, they're just not as high-profile as Facebook.

38 minutes ago, williamcll said:

So is the occulus compatible with all steam VR games?

Yes.

18 hours ago, unijab said:

Wheres the test with a rx580 and a vega 56

I was asking my self the same thing. I understand going for nVidia for normal gaming but if you are looking for VR on a budget AMD is the best route.

Ok so here's a thought on the budget vr side...and an idea for you (if someone hasn't suggested it yet).

Budget vr with a smartphone: does it work, can it work? Trinus with a gear vr and an s8plus was my unsuccessful start point (aka occulus thrift), but could it work with gear vr and other vr sets like daydream and other oem headsets?

Would be interested to know if this has traction.

Edited by nevar777

On 10/24/2018 at 1:55 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Neat but I think we all knew that you do VR on a quad core and a 1060 - source : Every gaming laptop ever

I didn't know that a 1050 ti could reach minimum spec though. I always thought that the 1060 3GB was the minimum...

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I didn't know that a 1050 ti could reach minimum spec though. I always thought that the 1060 3GB was the minimum...

It pretty much can't though

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

VRmark claims that it would be good experience, not a great one mind you, and I am pretty sure that when they are making these ratings they are aiming for high settings.

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

VRmark claims that it would be good experience, not a great one mind you, and I am pretty sure that when they are making these ratings they are aiming for high settings.

Still, I would get an RX 580 for $40 more

She/they 

1 hour ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Still, I would get an RX 580 for $40 more

Or a 1060. 

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Or a 1060. 

Or the superior 580 4gb over the 1060 3gb

She/they 

13 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Oculus lowered the minimum spec two years ago, when they introduced ASW. Linus didn't understand the impact of ASW and gave them shit on WAN show.

11 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

It pretty much can. ASW helps a lot. And with ASW 2.0 you'll be getting less artifacting when it's active.