Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seee the state im in nooow

Massdrop announces new communiti-- PC GAMING?!

Posted · Original PosterOP

EDIT: apparently the blogpost's dated to last week (18th) and I'm only seeing the banner now o_o sorry if that's not in the timeframe of news ,_, 

Massdrop:

Launching new communities isn’t as easy as flipping a switch. A lot of thought and effort goes into every new community we create, and we’ve worked diligently to make sure we’re putting our best foot forward and making something you can really enjoy. We could not (and would not!) have done this without you. Now, let’s dive into how we chose these communities, the process, and what’s next.

We have a few simple guidelines that have always helped us determine which communities to create. Each new community should possess one or more of these qualities:

1. Community requested by Massdrop members
  2. Community we believe we can meaningfully help and grow
  3. Community that can be split off from our existing communities

As you can see, first and foremost, we listen to the community at large. This comes in the form of Talk posts, comments, polls, and even direct conversations. Not too long ago, we surveyed a group of Massdrop members to see which new communities we should move into. After compiling that data with our own research, we were able to narrow down the list to the five communities you see below.

Each of these new communities is a split-off of its parent community. This splitting off makes it easier for us to devote the time and effort necessary to grow each community as we ourselves grow as a company. Will this always be the way we do it? Definitely not. The process of creating new communities itself will evolve as well, and we’re very much looking forward to what comes next.

Source: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/10224/announcement-5-new-communities

PC GAMING?!: https://www.massdrop.com/pc-gaming

PC Gaming Community

Conquer your opponents in comfort. The PC Gaming Community has all the battlestation essentials, from headsets and monitors to keyboards, mice, and ergonomic chairs.

Headsets, maybe. monitors, not really (I buy locally anyway). Keyboards, uhh, keyboards? Mice, definitely.

Ass thrones ergonomic chairs.... that's monitors except bigger shipping ._.

other new communities are:

• Baking
  • Board Games
  • Flashlights (you guys ._.)
  • Trading Card Games

And there's a running poll on what should Massdrop include next: https://www.massdrop.com/vote/New-Communities-Poll-1/result

Interesting. there were a few drops that involved GPUs (and others but we'd know where to camp for SSD deals anyway), but mostly they're around the street price at the time. I don't think I've ever looked a a few large-component items and thought "wow that's definitely worth getting on massdrop".

Although would that open the possibility of PC building boutiques or Business-Casual companies participating in prebuilt drops? o_o

also inb4 "but amazon is cheaper" comments, LOL

NOICE. Probably going to see a lot more massdrop links on r/buildapcsales now

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME
LinusWare Dev | NotCPUCores Dev

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Ever so more I've been realising that Massdrop's "drops" are very disappointing. 

Only real use for Massdrop is its community and easy of use to get stuff other people want. But you have to wait so damn long in most cases. Still good though. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I've seen some decent deals on Massdrop for hardware. $349 for a 1070 at one point IIRC.

IMO their whole style of selling isn't great for building when it comes to a PC. You don't know what's going to be on sale, or when. It's more of an impulse purchase thing.

They do have their own items, like an ergonomic chair, which is tempting. They don't ship it internationally though. Other than that, it's been impulse purchases.

1 minute ago, DIV1D3 said:

Ever so more I've been realising that Massdrop's "drops" are very disappointing. 

Only real use for Massdrop is its community and easy of use to get stuff other people want. But you have to wait so damn long in most cases. Still good though. 

Depends what you're looking for. They have insane deals on watches, pretty good deals on clothes, and great deals on little accessories.

Basically, the only way you're getting a good deal on Massdrop, is if the item has extremely high margin to begin with.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No one has made an article on this until now? This has been a thing for almost 2 weeks now.

god dammit ._. at least I don't stare at massdrop frequently enough to know of this 2 weeks ago ,_,

EDIT:

Spoiler

GATERON SWITCHES x120 OMG AAAAAA

51 minutes ago, DIV1D3 said:

Yah, I typically use them to get items that you can only get through group buys or occasional runs. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

NOICE. Probably going to see a lot more massdrop links on r/buildapcsales now

No you won't links to massdrop are banned on that subreddit

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Basically, the only way you're getting a good deal on Massdrop, is if the item has extremely high margin to begin with.

Exactly. And, considering that PC hardware has some of the thinnest margins of any product category, this new section is bound to be underwhelming.

1 hour ago, Granular said:

Exactly. And, considering that PC hardware has some of the thinnest margins of any product category, this new section is bound to be underwhelming.

Exactly. Things like peripherals will get excellent deals (I've already seen some awesome deals on mice and keyboards), but other than that, it's likely to be things like cheap, mas marketed "gaming" chairs and other small things.

I'm actually shocked they don't have a women's clothing section yet. That would probably push through some heavy volume.

Current PC:

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, DIV1D3 said:

Yeah I like then because of the HD 6xx drops which are super worth but do take forever at this point from what I have heard. 

On 10/24/2018 at 11:28 PM, dizmo said:

I've seen some decent deals on Massdrop for hardware. $349 for a 1070 at one point IIRC.

IMO their whole style of selling isn't great for building when it comes to a PC. You don't know what's going to be on sale, or when. It's more of an impulse purchase thing.

They do have their own items, like an ergonomic chair, which is tempting. They don't ship it internationally though. Other than that, it's been impulse purchases.

Depends what you're looking for. They have insane deals on watches, pretty good deals on clothes, and great deals on little accessories.

First thing I bought off Massdrop was a watch actually, been looking into more and more EDC and as that same watch isn't what I really like I'll probably wait for another unique looking watch that isn't 500 bucks and buy it. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

5 minutes ago, DIV1D3 said:

First thing I bought off Massdrop was a watch actually, been looking into more and more EDC and as that same watch isn't what I really like I'll probably wait for another unique looking watch that isn't 500 bucks and buy it. 

waiting for the next Vibram closeout drop, LOL. the boot is pretty good for keeping my trouser legs into for keeping warm, but I want a regular "neckless" shoe for when I wear shorts, LOLOL

13 hours ago, DIV1D3 said:

Yeah there's some cool stuff in there too but I find the discounts aren't really all that great. I just bought a Mondaine watch for $99. Killer deal, they're like $500 up here.

It'll look good for the work Christmas party this year. Got a wicked deal on a Zegna suit ❤️

Current PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Sounds nice enough let me check it out.

Of course: nothing more PC gaming than 3 out of the first 4 fucking drops it's fucking chairs 

I think they are actually gaming chairs, but you can use them for anything you like man..

Also, the 4th item is RGBBBBB! I have been firmly whelmed.

But Massdrop will interest me when I don't have to pay 40 USD shipping.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous