Cell Phone Jammers + Repeaters, can they be used to target numbers?

themightymolar

Ignoring the fact that Jammers are illegal in most places. Canada included. But, might it be possible to have a zone that is surrounded by cell jammers and a cell phone repeater could be setup inside and outside of the jammed zone connected by a wire. Kind of like a dome of jamming? (I understand the impracticality of setting up jammer spheres of influence in a dome shape.) But, because the wire passes between the inside of the region and the outside, might it be possible to select which numbers can call out of the domes "sphere of influence". So, simply put.

Can cell phone jammers + cell phone repeaters, can they be used to target numbers?

Anyways, even if anyone can't figure this out. You can at least tell me my artwork is on point.

Repeater + Jammer = Selective coverage, possibly.png

...why would you ever want to do this

The thing is that this isn't how jammers work. It's not a wall that blocks all cell signals. It's a lot of interference that makes them impossible to read. They don't stop radio waves, they stop the phones from seeing them. So cell signals would just pass through your jammer sphere on their merry way and phones would keep working. There is, however, a way to do what you're talking about.

All you have to do is get all the phones in the area to connect to your repeater. This isn't really feasible, but If you could get that to happen, you certainly could control which phones could do what. You wouldn't need jammers.

it's time

4 minutes ago, RollTime said:

The thing is that this isn't how jammers work. It's not a wall that blocks all cell signals. It's a lot of interference that makes them impossible to read. They don't stop radio waves, they stop the phones from seeing them. So cell signals would just pass through your jammer sphere on their merry way and phones would keep working. There is, however, a way to do what you're talking about.

All you have to do is get all the phones in the area to connect to your repeater. This isn't really feasible, but If you could get that to happen, you certainly could control which phones could do what. You wouldn't need jammers.

Or just build a Faraday cage around the place and put the repeater inside. would be way cheaper too. then  only allow certain phones to connect to the repeater.

Just now, Alexzz_ said:

Or just build a Faraday cage around the place and place the repeater inside. would be way cheaper too. then  only allow certain phones to connect to the repeater.

Isn't there some mechanism that prevents phones from connecting to cell signals that aren't real? Surely there's some encryption in place or something.

it's time

1 minute ago, RollTime said:

Isn't there some mechanism that prevents phones from connecting to cell signals that aren't real? Surely there's some encryption in place or something.

What i meant was that you simply don't allow unauthorized numbers to connect to the repeater, that way you can control who does or does not get cell phone access.

1 hour ago, RollTime said:

I was trying to figure a way (if it is possible) to create an area where a random person would enter and get no service, but an authorized person would get service. Seems like a good idea to me, even half baked.

13 minutes ago, themightymolar said:

I was trying to figure a way (if it is possible) to create an area where a random person would enter and get no service, but an authorized person would get service. Seems like a good idea to me, even half baked.

I suppose so. However, for the reasons I mentioned, your method wouldn't work.

it's time

1 hour ago, Alexzz_ said:

What i meant was that you simply don't allow unauthorized numbers to connect to the repeater, that way you can control who does or does not get cell phone access.

I was talking about getting phones to want to connect to the repeater in the first place.

it's time

29 minutes ago, RollTime said:

I suppose so. However, for the reasons I mentioned, your method wouldn't work.

Im starting to think that maybe a Faraday Cage with a repeater inside that blocks signals in the cell phone range, but allows Wi Fi and Bluetooth. Use a Cell jammer in that area, and put the other repeater outside the jammer zone. It isnt as convenient, but would still allow cell phone users cell service in a cell restricted environment...

Thoughts?

Certian people have service.jpg

If you want no waves, there is a place in the USA somewhere where it is illegal to have any kind of waves and yes they do actively seek out residents who break the law there.

Of course even if you could, depending on how you did it would be risking fines for tampering with the cell network.

The only safe way really would be to faraday cage the area and repeat the signal.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7