TRACING THE PHYSICAL LOCATION OF AN IP ADDRESS - HACKING VICTIM

pioneerfix

Hi Guys, can you help me how to find the physical address using only the ip address. A social media account has been hacked, and we have only managed to obtain an IP address. How do we trace the geolocation. 

Thanks. 

You don't, IP addresses can easily be spoofed, geo-location is very inaccurate and MIGHT, if you're lucky, give you the right state or city if you're really lucky but that's about it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ah I see. thanks. Just in case the ip address is legit, how should I proceed? 

6 minutes ago, pioneerfix said:

Hi Guys, can you help me how to find the physical address using only the ip address. A social media account has been hacked, and we have only managed to obtain an IP address. How do we trace the geolocation. 

Thanks. 

You can't.

2 minutes ago, pioneerfix said:

Call the police.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, pioneerfix said:

Change the password of the account and move on. Unless something of value was taken or a serious crime was committed with the account while under the other person's possession, nobody is going to do much of anything.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

i once got hacked and the IP said it was someone from northern northern canada. Like bordering the arctic.

Basically,,,, VPNs

Adding to that - a lot of ISPs are doing NAT, meaning best you can get is the ISP as there are thousands of clients under the same IP. Which in some cases could be a whole country. That is, if it is a real IP.

Unless it had some major effect on your business/service, there isn't anything you can do with the location anyway, at least not within the legal ways. Just secure your system and move on.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+