[Scratch build] 3D printed 4.2L case build, mini ITX GPU

ccRicers

I'm building another small form factor PC, this time in a 4.2 liter case that can fit a short GPU.

This case was 3D printed by a third party supplier, using Markforged One printer and Onyx filament. This filament is more expensive than most FDM filament, but it's also a bit tougher than ABS plastic with some more flex to the material. The motherboard tray is in two parts due to print area limits of the printer. Not sure yet whether to stick with that or use acrylic for the tray. Top and side vented panels will be made of acrylic.

4R4xwrp.jpg

ANMeevu.jpg

8CWX15l.jpg

Full album:

https://imgur.com/a/70Ple3U

You can see that the top piece of the motherboard tray is still missing. Once I get this piece in the right dimensions I could add all the main components to the case. Afterwards, I can get the side panels made and finish the build.

Here are the specs of the case:

• Material: Onyx (vinyl with carbon fiber) and 3mm acrylic
  • Dimensions: 199mm x 200mm x 105mm (4.18L)
  • Motherboard: Mini ITX
  • GPU: max length 175mm, dual slot
  • SSD support: m.2 plus 1x 2.5" (on the bottom)
  • CPU cooler: max height 39mm
  • PSU: Internal DC-DC only, or Meanwell 200w

Very cool design for the case, post more pictures once the build is completed please!

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

I love your case, but I love the avatar more...

TRusT mE aND We wiLL EsCApE FroM THe cITy ?

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

• 2 weeks later...

I received the other piece for the motherboard tray, and fits much better than the last, which was made too big to fit. The motherboard now can be mounted straight. Here's a view of the motherboard side. It's best to remove the top before installing.

fAnWE2v.jpg

When I installed it the first time, the PCIe riser cable fit in very well. The length is just right for the case, with just enough extra length for moving it in place when installing. But it was much tougher to remove it. Either one end could be pulled up, or the other, but I had to pry it a bit with a long tool to get both sides to come out easily. I think the best way is to move the motherboard slightly towards the bottom before screwing it in, then it'll be easier to wrap the cable around.

Here is what the top view of the case looks like.

1aZOqM8.jpg

The components fit straight, but you may notice the tray piece flexes a bit. That's to be expected with this material, many areas (especially the top case side) are flexible. But it all feels very sturdy when the parts are installed.

I also believe the standoffs offset the motherboard a bit too far towards the side of the case by 1mm. May cause imperfect alignment with the I/O shield (which I don't have for this board). A motherboard tray where the screw holes are recessed by 1mm would solve this, and won't make a big difference in the sturdiness of the standoffs.

I'm currently waiting for power components, as this is the only thing that's keeping me from fully running the test build. But the case isn't fully complete.

However, here's another photo showing how and where the SSD is installed. It might be possible to install another one in front of the motherboard but it'll make cable management harder (and there's already little room as it is).

SdeCES6.jpg

I've managed to get my test build up and running in the case, but only without the GPU powered on. Got Wifi working, even with no antenna attached to the card! (the motherboard was used and missing some accessories) This is enough, though for the HD-PLEX 160 watt DC-DC and 150W power brick that I have. It's not a plug-in unit so the cabling's a mess!

I am going to buy a KMPKT Dynamo Mini soon to replace it, which looks like this.

DMini.jpg?format=500w

This can provide up to 200W of power to the entire system (with a compatible power brick) but there is an add-on board that can connect to it to support much more powerful hardware. For now I'll deal with the 200W power limit and then get to the better stuff later as time and budget allows.

• 3 weeks later...

This build has stalled for a short while only because I haven't bought the Dynamo power supply until last week. But it's shipping and I should have it by tomorrow! This will go with the 240W Dell brick that I also recently bought:

91nPpi2Z6TL._SX425_.jpg

It is large but also rather slim. The footprint is almost exactly the same as the case, which makes it very convenient to carry around together.

... I ordered my Dynamo like three weeks ago, not a peep... :/

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

3 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

... I ordered my Dynamo like three weeks ago, not a peep... :/

Damn, was it the Mini or 360W version. I thought I'd be getting delays too since the website told me it would be shipped by last Friday but I didn't get the notification until today. You should contact KMPKT or one of the staff owners of the SFFLab website, 3 weeks with no updates is definitely too long.

3 minutes ago, ccRicers said:

Damn, was it the Mini or 360W version. I thought I'd be getting delays too since the website told me it would be shipped by last Friday but I didn't get the notification until today. You should contact KMPKT or one of the staff owners of the SFFLab website, 3 weeks with no updates is definitely too long.

It was the 360. I actually just checked, I've not even gotten a message saying it's dispatched. If it's not left yet, I may use the opportunity to cancel tbh.

image.png.a4bed627f4a494fc3c9bc54ee51608cb.png

p.s. Sorry to hijack the thread I'll stop 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

22 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

It was the 360. I actually just checked, I've not even gotten a message saying it's dispatched. If it's not left yet, I may use the opportunity to cancel tbh.

image.png.a4bed627f4a494fc3c9bc54ee51608cb.png

p.s. Sorry to hijack the thread I'll stop 

Careful about putting what is effectively your address on forums :P 

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

Well, my package tracking still says "in transit" so I probably won't get the PSU today. Budget is tight right now so I really want this PSU part installation to go smoothly. But within the rest of the month I should be able to upgrade the GPU to a RX 570, and get a Freesync monitor especially if there's some Christmas cash :)

1 hour ago, Meag said:

Careful about putting what is effectively your address on forums :P 

I mean, without a postcode, I'm sure it's plenty safe.

The map isn't detailed enough for my road to even show up, not to mention the area hidden under the pin alone is about 50+ seperate houses. :P 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise! Time for an upgrade!

But first here is the Dynamo Mini 200W installed in the case. It's shown alongside the 240 watt power brick for a size comparison. They almost share the same size footprint.

d9sqkdw-jpg.126563

The Dynamo Mini is just a little too tall for a side panel to properly fit on the right side, but this is due to my mistake on making the case 2mm narrower than I intended.

aQ6tmB9.jpg

9L60UmY.jpg

And now, for the real upgrade. I swapped out the R9 285 for a RX 570. The mini Sapphire Pulse looks great and it should not get as hot as the old card (I have yet to test it out)!

O4MAggy.jpg

L4PkQxF.jpg

tQPhXbn.jpg

Omg this is so small I love it. Always wanted to build something like this. And the 3d printing just makes it that much cooler. Nice job man :)

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

I got a Ryzen 3 2200G so it's almost time to upgrade again. All-AMD build coming soon, just need a new motherboard.

proto-build-parts1.jpg

• 2 years later...
21 hours ago, andreasjtech said:

excellent work. could you share the project? thanks!

I haven't had this computer in a while but I can upload and share the STL files to print when I have some extra time. I also gotta remember where I kept those project files 😅

On 3/2/2021 at 9:24 PM, ccRicers said:

I haven't had this computer in a while but I can upload and share the STL files to print when I have some extra time. I also gotta remember where I kept those project files 😅

Dude I would totally build something in this case!!! ^_^ 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

• 9 months later...

Wow this looks great! Do you have an STL file of this case? I would love to print it myself

Current Specs (Am building a mini ITX PC, will take a while)

CPU                                   RAM                                             Motherboard

Ryzen 7 5700G              16GB unbranded 2666Mhz           Asus ROG Strix  x570-i

GPU                                  Case                                              Boot Drive

EVGA GTX 1060           SSUPD Meshlicious                  Corsair MP500  500GB

Headset                           FBT                                                Extras
Quest 2                       Waist+Chest on OwOtrack                VIVE DAS

When it is finished

CPU                                   RAM                                             Motherboard

Ryzen 7 5700G              32GB Corsair LPX 4200Mhz     Asus ROG Strix  x570-i

GPU                                  Case                                              Boot Drive

ASUS RTX 3070          SSUPD Meshlicious                  Corsair MP500  500GB

Headset                           FBT                                                Extras
Quest 2                       Haritora-X/Slime VR                VIVE DAS + LucidVR Gloves + BHaptics vest