Suggestions on free editing software

Hi all -

I'm a pretty amateur photographer and I'm looking to play around with some post production software so I can make little edits here and there. I shoot a Nikon D3400 w/ a 45mm fixed lens and I know the D3400 has a cropped sensor which doesn't make for super great low light shots, does anyone have suggestions for free photo editing software that is moderately powerful? (and free)

thanks

Rawtherapee.

Just a warning, it's harder to use than for example LR.

Another thing, if you use it and don't want Noise reduction on a photo, don't turn NR completely of, have it on but have the sliders at 0.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 10/28/2018 at 1:12 PM, Mihle said:

Rawtherapee.

Just a warning, it's harder to use than for example LR.

Another thing, if you use it and don't want Noise reduction on a camera, don't turn NR completely of, have it on but have the sliders at 0.

cool, thanks for the tip.

I'd say there's also PAINT.net... I'm not quite sure if that's the kinda software you're after, but it exists and it's free... :) 

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

• 2 weeks later...

I could never live without Lightroom and Photoshop but as far as free options go, check out PhotoPea

NewEgg Community Moderator since 2007.