YouTube is now messing with the Super Chat feature of live streams

Master Disaster

Video Source this one...

In an effort to cut down on harassing super chats YouTube is apparently changing the way it's super chat system works and I can see it pissing off a lot of live streamers.

Basically YouTube are using AI and algorithms (because that always works out well) to try and detect inappropriate or harassing super chats and if they detect one then they're going to take the money and give it to charity. Details are thin but it seems as though the streamer will never know the message has been sent and the sender won't be told what happened to their money.

Here's a quote from an article in the guardian where this story originated from.

The company has tightened the rules for which channels have access to monetisation features and deployed machine learning technology to identify hate speech in comment features, the spokeswoman added. If a user is caught sending abusive Super Chats, the revenue received will be donated to charity instead of being split between YouTube and the channel’s creator.

Now I should point out that the system has been created to apparently target alt right groups using YouTube to spread racism and hate speech (the guardian article I'll link at the end goes into much more details) however the worry is this will quickly spread and target all channels. Rich from Review Tech USA points out how his viewers like to troll him by sending words like Nipples & Cucumber, something thats 100% a joke but could easily be identified as hate speech by a bot and suddenly he's losing money without even knowing it.

Source (goes into alt right and right wing politics) - https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/sep/18/report-youtubes-alternative-influence-network-breeds-rightwing-radicalisation

Video Source

Listen guys, please keep your political views to yourself and keep this about the super chat changes.

I can see where YouTube is coming from, I genuinely can but this is a dangerous road. Taking other peoples money away from its intended destination is never a good road for any corporation.

If YouTube is worried about making money out of hate speech how about they work of stopping the hate speech instead?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

YouTube once again tries to fix something that isn't broken, and with AI once again.

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Taking other peoples money away from its intended destination is never a good road

You took the words right out of my mouth.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Maybe a semi-manual way would be better? I would be concerned about false positives, in a way that friendly people will poke each other but they understand the context and are ok with it. To an outsider without context, it might not appear appropriate.

For example, "safe" comments could be processed as normal, but questionable ones might go into a hidden from public view for manual moderation by the streamer, who can then ok it as a one off, or even whitelist.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Here's the problem. 

Does the AI know what is a joke and what is serious? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, porina said:

Maybe a semi-manual way would be better? I would be concerned about false positives, in a way that friendly people will poke each other but they understand the context and are ok with it. To an outsider without context, it might not appear appropriate.

For example, "safe" comments could be processed as normal, but questionable ones might go into a hidden from public view for manual moderation by the streamer, who can then ok it as a one off, or even whitelist.

The problem stems from the fact YouTube take a 30% cut of Super Chats, they're not happy making money off of hate speech (and I understand that) so by allowing manual review it doesn't fix the problem for them. The alt right racists will allow the messages through and YouTube still make money from them.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, porina said:

Manual work is a forbidden realm when it comes to Google. Won't be too long before they try putting algorithms everywhere.

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Here's the problem. 

Machine learning can struggle with relative things and context in general

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Machine learning can struggle with relative things and context in general

That's the issue. 

I've known the behavior of internet fans in general and there's always some sort of friendly banter going on. 

If the AI detects them as hate speech, that's going to be an issue. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

That's the issue. 

I've known the behavior of internet fans in general and there's always some sort of friendly banter going on. 

If the AI detects them as hate speech, that's going to be an issue. 

Rich mentions this in his video, his regulars often send him "inappropriate" messages but because he knows the context and usually the sender he understands it's a joke. If this is actually true (and so far no one knows if it's happening or not) then he and other streamers are going to have money taken from them for no good reason.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

If this is actually true (and so far no one knows if it's happening or not) then he and other streamers are going to have money taken from them for no good reason.

And herein lies the issue. 

I think this is a solution on the hunt for problems. 

And another question. Is this targeted towards hate speech in general regardless of political affiliation or just those in the right-wing? 

If it's the latter, then I have a big problem with that. 

6 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

And herein lies the issue. 

I think this is a solution on the hunt for problems. 

And another question. Is this targeted towards hate speech in general regardless of political affiliation or just those in the right-wing? 

If it's the latter, then I have a big problem with that. 

Again, as is typical with YouTube, we simply don't know. They love to keep things enigmatic.

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

staying about the idea of moderating Superchats for a bit without going to Google's AI intervention:

say the channel is extremely uncomfortable or (people) universally disagrees with a superchat. should it be removed? should the money be rejected? if it remains, does the channel have to comment on it with a message of disapproval? should the channel be able to block senders? should Superchats be non-refundable from the poster's side?

(asking the questions for a baseline here o_o)

1) I'd assume the people watching the stream would allign with the streamers views.

2) If the streamer takes issue with a chat then I think yes, he should be able to return the money

3) Streamers don't have to acknowledge super chats at all

4) yes

5) I don't understand the question

Just now, VegetableStu said:

like if someone sends a superchat can that someone retract (and should they get a refund on the way)

Not as far as I know, there's no way of retracting. Such a system would be open to massive abuse.

24 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Here's the problem. 

Yes / No/s

Yes/s / No

You try and guess what the author wants to say, let alone an AI. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Yes / No/s

Yes/s / No

You try and guess what the author wants to say, let alone an AI. 

I don't think an AI knows what is sarcasm, let alone the /s tag

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Sarcasm is impossible to convey using text, even for humans who understand what it is totally.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Sarcasm is impossible to convey using text, even for humans who understand what it is totally.

Pretty much what I meant. Just a simple demonstration of things that can "mean" the same thing that confuse the shit out of us. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Can you just imagine how much money would have been donated to charity if this feature would have ran on Twitch. I'm pretty sure cancer would have been cured by now.

CPU Intel Core i7-4770k @ 3.50GHz Motherboard ASUSTeK Z87-DELUXE RAM 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1333MHz 

GPU Nvidia GTX 770 Case Fractal Design R4 Storage Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB & Western Digital 2TB HDD

PSU Corsair AX760i Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Naga Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64bit

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Pretty much what I meant. Just a simple demonstration of things that can "mean" the same thing that confuse the shit out of us. 

It's been proven fairly consistently on YouTube that AIs suck at understanding human concepts and constructs yet here we are again.

Youtube will continue to apply tech and fail miserably since there are no tech solution for a site that has grown that much that expects to be an advertising platform while still relying almost exclusively on user generated content.

Until then we will keep hearing about the false positives instead of the (imho justified and rightful) removal of actually shit content like Nazi propaganda. So you know who's going to be happy that the conversation about youtube revolves around technical issues and false positives? The guys organizing armed protests to support white nationalism and killing people with their cars.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If Youtube want to do this to take some sort of moral high ground, then it should only be the cut that Youtube takes (~30%??) from the super chat that goes to charity. The Youtuber should still get their cut.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

33 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If Youtube want to do this to take some sort of moral high ground, then it should only be the cut that Youtube takes (~30%??) from the super chat that goes to charity. The Youtuber should still get their cut.

And the youtuber can decide himself if his parts go to charity or not.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Now I should point out that the system has been created to apparently target alt right groups using YouTube to spread racism and hate speech

Listen guys, please keep your political views to yourself

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

The alt right racists

Oh, the irony.  For the record, the term "alt-right" is a fictitious one (just like "assault weapon"), made up by the ctrl-left to smear anyone they disagree with.  I'm not defending racism, just disputing the use of that made up word.  I won't make it any more political than that, but given your repeating of this mantra - after telling people to leave politics out - I feel justified in posting this correction.

With that out of the way, this is just another example of Youtube trying to play mommy/daddy for people using their platform.  If there weren't a good number of conservative voices still uploading to YT, I wouldn't even use it.  I already use private mode for certain videos, just to mess with their algorithms.

29 minutes ago, Mihle said:

And the youtuber can decide himself if his parts go to charity or not.

Could be an option where the individual youtuber can toggle this automoderation charity system on or off. Such as if they disable automoderation and flag their channel/stream as possibly containing mature content, they keep their cut. If they have automoderation enabled and aren't flagged as mature content, then any inappropriate donations go to charity.

(This doesn't mean that I agree with it moderating donations and donating the money to charity)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Are they still going to be surprised why their livestream will never kick off huh. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

is it just me that think this is fine? if people are using YT to be assholes then YT gives the money to charity. How can this be a bad thing?

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

is it just me that think this is fine? if people are using YT to be ******** then YT gives the money to charity. How can this be a bad thing?

You don't see an issue with this?

Details are thin but it seems as though the streamer will never know the message has been sent and the sender won't be told what happened to their money.