I almost cried... - Fixing the $40,000 PC Part 2

nicklmg

i really want to see this kind of content more. just documenting setting up something crazy and documenting the troubleshooting. i've learned a few things from this already. i had no idea what plx even was. 

She/Her

your almost crying over this?

I'd like already be if my 40K+ PC was acting like this.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

What kernel are you running on it? You mentioned reverting kernel versions to see if it helped, but kernel 4.18.16 is out and 4.18 alone had a whole host of hardware and support improvements. Anyway, good luck.

I think linus should redo this one, but with moar VMs :) Looks just as fun as walking barefoot on the sun.

Couldn't this be done with Windows Server with Remote FX with per user CPU and RAM memory limitations? Would have much lower overhead than attempting to run a fuckton of VM's.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

He should just use multiseat:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration#Software_requirements

It would perform better and would have fewer problems. The problems it does have would be far easier to fix than his attempt to partition the machine like a mainframe.

Also, having the machine next to the consoles is a cable management nightmare. He should just use HDBase-T to handle HDMI, Audio and USB.

18 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Couldn't this be done with Windows Server with Remote FX with per user CPU and RAM memory limitations? Would have much lower overhead than attempting to run a fuckton of VM's.

If he's running Linux, that amount of VMs is nothing.

1 minute ago, Dragon8oy said:

There is still over head. Having run VMWare ESXI, which is based on linux, you do have to take into account that some of your ram and cpu threads are going to have be to taken by the OS to handle the VM's. Running Windows Server with RemoteFX over RDP, although I do not know how GPU resource allocation would work but it probably would be fine to just let the drivers and Windows handle it, would have lower over head and likely less issues. There is also Windows MultiPoint Services that appears to be basically the same thing but with less work on your end.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

19 minutes ago, Dragon8oy said:

It can do it, but not as efficiently as a single operating system can. You do not need to duplicate every kernel and system service to handle multiple users, or partition storage space and memory. Just look at this:

http://gunkies.org/wiki/File:Pdp11-70_ad.jpg

Multiple consoles with no VMs needed. Unlike a mainframe or supercomputer, it does time sharing instead of space sharing. Time sharing is far more efficient at sharing resources. It is like packet based switching versus circuit based switching.

"although we have to convince Nvidia to send 6 of them" Ummm, how about pay for them? Like damn, while your at it convince them to send me a free 2080 Ti...

Even if Linus is paying for them, pay retail instead of a discounted price, 0 questions asked... If they ask questions, lie! Or simply send the extra one or 2 to your house to avoid the limitation...

Violence tends to solve all tech issues...

I tried searching but found nothing. What are they trying to accomplish building this? Move all 6 editors in that room? Tear it down once completed?

6 minutes ago, Mona said:

I tried searching but found nothing. What are they trying to accomplish building this? Move all 6 editors in that room? Tear it down once completed?

its a continuation of 7 then 8 gamers 1 CPU.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Why is he not using Quadro gv100s instead of Titan Vs? They are better workstation cards, they perform (slightly) better, and they are the most powerful cards you can get. What has happened to the spirit  of overkill?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Throwing together stuff to try to do what it wasn't originally designed for is going to end up being either bleeding edge or stupid.

The difference is that you don't get cut doing stupid.

These Frankenstein tech experiments are a recipe for killing expensive hardware. 24/7 up-time scenarios and especially mission critical applications depend on reliable off-the-shelf solutions that have been designed to do a specific task. There's a reason why companies like Tyan and Supermicro specifically sell through outfits such as Thinkmate. No reputable systems administrator on the back end is going to "push the boundaries" with server grade components and then explain to his boss how that $40K box in the company's rack unexpectedly died and needs replacing - that guy would be out of a job TOMORROW GUARANTEED.

Doing it with free hardware? I would say there's a limit to how many $1000+ items you can kill before the manufacturer stops sending you those items. Doing it in exchange for ad revenue and views on YouTube? I would say there are more entertaining and cheaper ways to get that.

Next video - Overclock your heatsink with a leaf blower!!!

[Sponsored by Juan Deere]

27 minutes ago, Luscious said:

Throwing together stuff to try to do what it wasn't originally designed for is going to end up being either bleeding edge or stupid.

The difference is that you don't get cut doing stupid.

These Frankenstein tech experiments are a recipe for killing expensive hardware. 24/7 up-time scenarios and especially mission critical applications depend on reliable off-the-shelf solutions that have been designed to do a specific task. There's a reason why companies like Tyan and Supermicro specifically sell through outfits such as Thinkmate. No reputable systems administrator on the back end is going to "push the boundaries" with server grade components and then explain to his boss how that $40K box in the company's rack unexpectedly died and needs replacing - that guy would be out of a job TOMORROW GUARANTEED.

Doing it with free hardware? I would say there's a limit to how many $1000+ items you can kill before the manufacturer stops sending you those items. Doing it in exchange for ad revenue and views on YouTube? I would say there are more entertaining and cheaper ways to get that.

Next video - Overclock your heatsink with a leaf blower!!!

[Sponsored by Juan Deere]

Chill bro, why u sounds so salty? Do you mean that the asus motherboard with dual socket isnt designed to fit 6 graphic cards? Do you mean the motherboard is not designed to run Unraid? Do you mean the graphic cards are not designed to run on pcie extender? If so why the board have so many pcie slot? Why the motherboard have a usb port? Why pcie extender are even manufacturered? Or you just salty that you cannot afford all those hardware?

1 hour ago, Mona said:

Tear it down like all other cool projects like 7gamer 1cpu. Just a prove of concept of what current hardwares can do through virtualization.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your YouTube titles are getting less and less helpful.

Agree, i would prefer "Troubleshooting 6 editor 1cpu - part2 ". I seriously dont know clickbait these days....."I almost cried", how would a random dude click on a video showing up on recommendation hoping to see another dude crying but to found out that its a tech troubleshooting and get addicted and hence.became a subscriber. Wouldn't it be more sensible that a random dude like the concept of tech troubleshooting and saw a video called "Toubleshooting 6editor 1 cpu-part2" and click on it, found it interesting and became a subscriber?

I've had nothing but trouble with GPU Passthru with more than 1 GPU. It always works great until you reboot the vm. After that, you need to reboot the entire host to get it to work again. 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your YouTube titles are getting less and less helpful.

Agreed, please just name the video with the title and then part number, it's much more helpful for the audience. I don't even know how I would begin to watch this series in order? So now it just leaves your audience out of place and clueless to what is going on with no obvious way to inform themselves.