Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mnky313

PS2 High performance PC Build

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Mbowen said:

I would seriously suggest looking into a HD plex just to make more room inside the case for airflow. 

We are using the HDPlex 400W.

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

So this is a school project them?

Yes, we are working with a teacher of ours after school

3 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

woah that's cool. Someone suggested I do scaled up dreamcast to fit all my parts but I thought that wasn't in the spirit of a sleeper. But I like your ide of just adding a little bit in one direction, it'll still have the impression of a regular PS2 :) 

Yeah, we didn't want to have to resort to scaling up parts, but we ran out of time and figured it would be more in the spirit of a sleeper than putting it in a normal case. :)

Current:

Dell Precision M6700:

- CPU: i7-3720qm @ 3.8Ghz all cores
- GPU: K3000M "Gigahertz Edition" 1006Mhz Core, 2004Mhz MEM
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Impact @ 1600Mhz
- Storage: 256GB mSATA w/ 2x750GB HDDs in RAID 0
- Display: Samsung LTN173HT02 120Hz 1080p internal display
Old:
- Custom Desktop w/ i5 4430 and RX480
- Inspiron 7559 w/ i5 6300hq and 4GB 960M (SOLD)

The 400w is nice, but I assume that you're trying to keep it inside the PS2 chassis? Why not try to use a HD plex with a brick configuration? It wouldn't require the brick be inside the case. Plus, most game consoles have bricks now. (the 360 did for like 10y)

I like the pico psu idea personally, I actually floated it on the first page....But I thought more about it, the more I realised that you would be compromising space and/or power, to match what you're getting from this SFX...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Consider method #1, and you choose to have an external brick. You could use a Dynamo 360 and a Dynamo Mini(direct plug) daisy-chained together, to give a theoretical max safe wattage of 400W+. But it's very hard to find a brick that powerful, if impossible. I'm have one of the larger commonly available external bricks and thats 360W I believe. Anything above that is uncommon and expensive as all hell.

Then there's method #2, you convert the AC-DC internally and remove the brick from the equation. So you'd need an internal converter, a 360, and a Mini into the motherboard to achieve the same result. At this point, you're only gaining a little space really, although you could argue that breaking up the components means you're at least a little bit more flexible.

There is another way...method #3; scale down to an DC-barrel powered STX mobo. If you were also willing to step down to ~360W max, you could eliminate the mini from the equation entirely due to no need of a 24-pin connector, and then use a more readily available external brick, AND free up a TON of internal space. But this causes compatibility issues, such as having to use an adapter to run a graphics card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I realise on the first page, I waxed lyrical about saving "TONS of internal space", but I didn't think that being ITX with a 24-pin power cable would mean multiple pico's at once. So teh gains are slightly less than anticipated.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Posted · Original PosterOP
37 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

I like the pico psu idea personally, I actually floated it on the first page....But I thought more about it, the more I realised that you would be compromising space and/or power, to match what you're getting from this SFX...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Consider method #1, and you choose to have an external brick. You could use a Dynamo 360 and a Dynamo Mini(direct plug) daisy-chained together, to give a theoretical max safe wattage of 400W+. But it's very hard to find a brick that powerful, if impossible. I'm have one of the larger commonly available external bricks and thats 360W I believe. Anything above that is uncommon and expensive as all hell.

Then there's method #2, you convert the AC-DC internally and remove the brick from the equation. So you'd need an internal converter, a 360, and a Mini into the motherboard to achieve the same result. At this point, you're only gaining a little space really, although you could argue that breaking up the components means you're at least a little bit more flexible.

There is another way...method #3; scale down to an DC-barrel powered STX mobo. If you were also willing to step down to ~360W max, you could eliminate the mini from the equation entirely due to no need of a 24-pin connector, and then use a more readily available external brick, AND free up a TON of internal space. But this causes compatibility issues, such as having to use an adapter to run a graphics card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I realise on the first page, I waxed lyrical about saving "TONS of internal space", but I didn't think that being ITX with a 24-pin power cable would mean multiple pico's at once. So teh gains are slightly less than anticipated.

1 hour ago, Mbowen said:

The 400w is nice, but I assume that you're trying to keep it inside the PS2 chassis? Why not try to use a HD plex with a brick configuration? It wouldn't require the brick be inside the case. Plus, most game consoles have bricks now. (the 360 did for like 10y)

So, I must of thought I posted more than I did about what the current plan is:
The new plan is to use the HDPlex 400W PSU with a 330W dell laptop brick outside the case for power.
We were also trying to use the 3D-printed PS2 base to replace the current base but the print will take significantly longer than expected... so we still might me able to just not by tomorrow (one half takes about 3 days to print because of the higher resolution needed...) it is printing as I type this but who knows if it will work and how long it will take...
I don't know what the current plan is, either it will be built into a standard mini ITX case or we will wait for the PS2 print to finish, I will update tomorrow 

Current:

Dell Precision M6700:

- CPU: i7-3720qm @ 3.8Ghz all cores
- GPU: K3000M "Gigahertz Edition" 1006Mhz Core, 2004Mhz MEM
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Impact @ 1600Mhz
- Storage: 256GB mSATA w/ 2x750GB HDDs in RAID 0
- Display: Samsung LTN173HT02 120Hz 1080p internal display
Old:
- Custom Desktop w/ i5 4430 and RX480
- Inspiron 7559 w/ i5 6300hq and 4GB 960M (SOLD)

Ooooh....I've never seen that 400W before. That's perfect then! As long as there's some light cooling flowing over it, you should be golden.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷