Is there any motherboards that support easily switchable profiles in their bioses for overclocks?

t33to

If so, please recommend me some model numbers and how many profiles the bios supports.

What I'm hoping to find is a motherboard that will let me save a bunch of different presets for different overclocking settings.

Thanks!

No budget limit, don't care if AMD or Intel, just doing some research.

Asus has profiles -- at least 5. As far as I remember, most modern motherboards that support oc'ing have 5 or more profiles. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I heard that some of the msi godlike gaming moba support dual bios if that's a help

I am pretty sure that the z390 series  has dual bios

And also some of asus maximus series also have such facility

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Asus has profiles -- at least 5. As far as I remember, most modern motherboards that support oc'ing have 5 or more profiles. 

Damn, only 5. I want like 30 or 40. I'm trying to build a machine that I can underclock to emulate the performance of lesser specc'd machines.

40 I am curious about30-40 profiles that's impossible since moba has no memory module 

You can swap bios and flash it after testing if needed

Since you said 30-40 I am curious about what kind of work are you going to do

12 minutes ago, t33to said:

Damn, only 5. I want like 30 or 40. I'm trying to build a machine that I can underclock to emulate the performance of lesser specc'd machines.

Underclocking has a limit just like overclocking, can't go any lower than what the bios supports. And it's not a true apples to apples comparison just with clock speed. Older cpus don't have L3 cache. Modern bioses don't let you adjust any of that, while old school board like from the early P4 and before does.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 minutes ago, ANLIN said:

40 I am curious about30-40 profiles that's impossible since moba has no memory module 

You can swap bios and flash it after testing if needed

Since you said 30-40 I am curious about what kind of work are you going to do

I'm doing more and more PC building for friends, family and my community and more and more of them are entry level gaming machines. I want to be able to sit a client down, install the games/software w/e they intend to mainly use their new machine for and emulate the performance of different machine builds at their price points. I was originally planning to purchase an Intel mobo and and AMD mobo and then purchasing 4-5 different CPUs for each but then I figured I could probably just get one really good machine and underclock it to various performance levels.

So I can store a custom bios on a USB that has my settings on it and then reflash the machine whenever I want? That sounds perfect. What Mobo's support that?

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Underclocking has a limit just like overclocking, can't go any lower than what the bios supports. And it's not a true apples to apples comparison just with clock speed. Older cpus don't have L3 cache. Modern bioses don't let you adjust any of that, while old school board like from the early P4 and before does.

I won't be trying to match clock for clock, just framerates, load times, render times etc. I wasn't aware that there is a limit to underclocking. Would it not be possible to make an 9900k perform like a pentium?

most MB does have that function, my asrock ab350m pro4 have 5 profile, and I remember you can import/export profile to usb drive too. but I won't recommend asrock at all, their bios is a mess.

First off all memory profiles and bios are two different things 

A single bios supports many profiles

But no of bios at a time is limited close to 1 

But if it's for memory profiles It doesn't matter 

And while over clocking can damage processor underclocking does not but both have a limit but can even  reduce to 2ghz If that's assuring to you

Ok, so don't buy Asrock motherboards for this purpose. Can anyone recommend a brand? I think I'm gonna go with a 2700x system, shoot for 3200mhz memory.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:29 PM, t33to said:

I'm doing more and more PC building for friends, family and my community and more and more of them are entry level gaming machines. I want to be able to sit a client down, install the games/software w/e they intend to mainly use their new machine for and emulate the performance of different machine builds at their price points. I was originally planning to purchase an Intel mobo and and AMD mobo and then purchasing 4-5 different CPUs for each but then I figured I could probably just get one really good machine and underclock it to various performance levels.

So I can store a custom bios on a USB that has my settings on it and then reflash the machine whenever I want? That sounds perfect. What Mobo's support that?

I won't be trying to match clock for clock, just framerates, load times, render times etc. I wasn't aware that there is a limit to underclocking. Would it not be possible to make an 9900k perform like a pentium?

Do not reflash the bios too many times, as it might damage the bios chip. What you can do is just create different profiles based on the bios configurations and loads the ones you want. I don't know about others, but Asus boards lets you store up to 8 onboard profiles as well as save them to a USB flash drive, even their low-end H110 boards will have this feature.

For underclocking the lowest speed it can go down to is 800MHz, but it will cause extreme lag, so the lowest usable speed is around 1.2GHz. Pentiums of today run at a much higher clock speed, even their slowest model will run at least 2.4GHz, and the highest is at 3.9GHz. Some of the things to do to make the 9900K perform like a Pentium is to disable features the pentium does not have, and try to match the clock speed, for a more accurate picture on how it will perform.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You can save BIOS profiles to a USB stick with the ASUS Chrosshair VII.  I am sure there are other motherboards that offer a solution like this also.  I'm not sure how many profiles can be saved to a USB drive, but I can't imagine there is a limit beyond capacity.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case