ISP resetting router.

markr54632

So, I've had att for a while. I specifically asked for a modem only several times. The service was put in while I was away and they installed a pos router combo unit. I have disabled the wireless radios and dhcp services on their piece of junk, but they reset the firmware once a week and all of a sudden it will start broadcasting default ssids and dhcp will reenable.

Is there any way to disable this or continue living with it? I have contacted them, this goes nowhere.

9 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

So, I've had att for a while. I specifically asked for a modem only several times. The service was put in while I was away and they installed a pos router combo unit. I have disabled the wireless radios and dhcp services on their piece of junk, but they reset the firmware once a week and all of a sudden it will start broadcasting default ssids and dhcp will reenable.

Is there any way to disable this or continue living with it? I have contacted them, this goes nowhere.

You can buy your modem. 

http://a.co/d/bwMVpBZ

Replace all of the ISP hardware with your own. It's more cost effective anyway. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

9 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

You can buy your modem. 

http://a.co/d/bwMVpBZ

Replace all of the ISP hardware with your own. It's more cost effective anyway. 

For some reason I'm doubting a cable modem is going to work with dsl. This has a minimal effect on my network as I just use a different address range. The equipment also doesnt cost me extra. So I'm really not going to spend money on this even if it is only 60. Its more of a minor nuisance.

Have a look in the router settings for a modem only mode function.

My ISP also supplys a Combo but ur able to disable the router function and use your own router.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

3 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Firstly most ISP's dont provide normal modems any more, they are all gateways. So if you want a normal modem you have to purchase it yourself. The ISP has a back door in to any equipment they provide. This is the reason I have not used Comcast supplied equipment in 5+ years. ISP will provide updates to equipment on their service. For example Comcast will supply my customer owned modem firmware updates as well as they push config files out to it to tell it what speed tier Im using. BUT for gateways, they can remote in and change settings, this is to help those poor stupid souls that have not a clue. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Firstly most ISP's dont provide normal modems any more, they are all gateways. So if you want a normal modem you have to purchase it yourself. The ISP has a back door in to any equipment they provide. This is the reason I have not used Comcast supplied equipment in 5+ years. ISP will provide updates to equipment on their service. For example Comcast will supply my customer owned modem firmware updates as well as they push config files out to it to tell it what speed tier Im using. BUT for gateways, they can remote in and change settings, this is to help those poor stupid souls that have not a clue. 

Kind of the response I expected. Like I said it's a minor nuisance. Definitely not hard to work around.

I will likely be changing ISPs in a couple months anyway, thus the me not investing in hardware.

Depending on the method your isp connects to you to your modem you can just bridge the modem to your router and then set the router to connect to your isp. PPPoe or DHCP are the 2 most common ways of connecting, at least in Ontario because everything is ether part or using parts of bell or rogers lines. And if you don't have a nice router, its a good investment because you can use it from isp to isp and usually a nice personal router will be way better then whatever the isp will provide. Plus I like control put in my hands and putting in custom firewall rules etc.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

who is your isp?

are you just power cycling or factory reset?

if factory resting most often is goes right back to factory state and enables wifi.

most isp routers are not the greatest, the one my isp uses is ok. If people have there own equipment and depending on the tech they disable wifi and bridge port 1. This way there modem acts just like a modem passing everything on to the customers equipment. 

edit my isp only has a gateway regardless of what speed you get. 

I assume you have also contacted your isp and asked what you are looking for?

3 hours ago, intertan said:

who is your isp?

are you just power cycling or factory reset?

if factory resting most often is goes right back to factory state and enables wifi.

most isp routers are not the greatest, the one my isp uses is ok. If people have there own equipment and depending on the tech they disable wifi and bridge port 1. This way there modem acts just like a modem passing everything on to the customers equipment. 

edit my isp only has a gateway regardless of what speed you get. 

I assume you have also contacted your isp and asked what you are looking for?

Yes I contacted them. They told me I could configure the combo unit as I see fit, but they wipe my config almost weekly.

My solution to this point has been to use a different address range for my router. I also have my wifi statically assigned to the least congested channel and theirs defaults to channel hopping, so when I watch wifi analyzer theirs is usually pushed to channel 1.

My real complaint is that if I use their equipment I need 3 more routers in wireless bridge mode to cover the house and seeing as they wipe the  config I am forced to go around the house and configure everything once a week.

Hmmm, I've had an AT&T box for almost 8 months now and never had an issue, although I will say it's for fiber and not DSL. Perhaps the box is just bad? Have you tried telling them it stopped working and you need a new one?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Yes I contacted them. They told me I could configure the combo unit as I see fit, but they wipe my config almost weekly.

My solution to this point has been to use a different address range for my router. I also have my wifi statically assigned to the least congested channel and theirs defaults to channel hopping, so when I watch wifi analyzer theirs is usually pushed to channel 1.

My real complaint is that if I use their equipment I need 3 more routers in wireless bridge mode to cover the house and seeing as they wipe the  config I am forced to go around the house and configure everything once a week.

whty would they do that. Mine only resets things when there is an issue or a major FW update

have you ever thought of installing your own setup? router and AP points? 

you will need to adjust the modem from your isp but if you ever switch it is an easy switch

17 minutes ago, intertan said:

whty would they do that. Mine only resets things when there is an issue or a major FW update

have you ever thought of installing your own setup? router and AP points? 

you will need to adjust the modem from your isp but if you ever switch it is an easy switch

I already have my own setup.

I just dont appreciate the extra interference provided from their wireless radios.

8 hours ago, markr54632 said:

I already have my own setup.

I just dont appreciate the extra interference provided from their wireless radios.

I cannot possibly believe they are pushing firmware updates weekly.

Are you certain that is the issue? Sounds to me like your modem is simply defective.

I would ask them to replace the modem with a new one. Test if issues persist.

Furthermore, check to see if there is a config menu. I've never yet seen a modem or router that didn't let you save and download a current copy of the full config.

Copy that to your computer. If it resets to defaults, login and upload the file - bam, everything back. Granted, I still think having the ISP replace the modem is the obvious thing to try.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/20/2018 at 9:18 PM, dalekphalm said:

Are you certain that is the issue? Sounds to me like your modem is simply defective.

Furthermore, check to see if there is a config menu. I've never yet seen a modem or router that didn't let you save and download a current copy of the full config.

Copy that to your computer. If it resets to defaults, login and upload the file - bam, everything back. Granted, I still think having the ISP replace the modem is the obvious thing to try.

I agree with this but also wanted to add some unpopular input. 

Everyone always says to buy your own modem and that's cool and all but clearly haven't had to deal with ISP support all that often.

I always keep their modem so when there is an issue they can't blame my equipment. As soon as they find out that it's your modem they will just tell you that it's probably bad and wont help you beyond that.

With that said, I always run it bridged and run my own router/firewall.

I would call your ISP up and frame the problem as your modem keeps rebooting, talking to tier 1 ISP support about configs is like beating your face into a cactus. If you complain that the modem reboots all the time then they will say its bad and just replace it.

2 minutes ago, Mdgtman91 said:

I agree with this but also wanted to add some unpopular input. 

Everyone always says to buy your own modem and that's cool and all but clearly haven't had to deal with ISP support all that often.

I always keep their modem so when there is an issue they can't blame my equipment. As soon as they find out that it's your modem they will just tell you that it's probably bad and wont help you beyond that.

With that said, I always run it bridged and run my own router/firewall.

I would call your ISP up and frame the problem as your modem keeps rebooting, talking to tier 1 ISP support about configs is like beating your face into a cactus. If you complain that the modem reboots all the time then they will say its bad and just replace it.

Good points all around.

With my ISP, they don't provide a rental unit. You have 2 options:

1. You can buy a Modem (or modem/router) directly from them (you can pay in full, or over 12 monthly payments with no interest). They fully support it, and will push firmware updates, etc.

2. You can buy a modem from their approved modem list. They still support it, but there may be limitations on how deep they can go with support - eg: can't guarantee firmware updates to all devices.

If you buy one of the modems they sell, but buy it elsewhere (Amazon, etc), they'll support it exactly as if you bought it from them (aside from returns, exchanges, repairs, obviously).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Good points all around.

With my ISP, they don't provide a rental unit. You have 2 options:

1. You can buy a Modem (or modem/router) directly from them (you can pay in full, or over 12 monthly payments with no interest). They fully support it, and will push firmware updates, etc.

2. You can buy a modem from their approved modem list. They still support it, but there may be limitations on how deep they can go with support - eg: can't guarantee firmware updates to all devices.

If you buy one of the modems they sell, but buy it elsewhere (Amazon, etc), they'll support it exactly as if you bought it from them (aside from returns, exchanges, repairs, obviously).

In this situation, as much as you don't want to spend the money, if it starts to bug you enough then I would go with buying one from the approved list as they still support it. This would avoid them messing with it from their end as well so your configs wont be messed with.

58 minutes ago, Mdgtman91 said:

Thats the reason you buy a modem. So you dont have to deal with those dingle berries. Since buying my own modem, I have not have to deal with Comcast support once. ALSO, if I had to deal with Comcast support, I would just do so over at DSLreports.com where they have the Comcast direct forum, which is ran by corporate and not the local dumb fucks. Generally the corp guys can fix about anything, with the exception being billing issues. 

I dont see the point in giving Comcast $120 a year, when I can buy a modem and have it paid off in less than a year to a little over a year depends on what modem you get. 

1 hour ago, Mdgtman91 said:

In this situation, as much as you don't want to spend the money, if it starts to bug you enough then I would go with buying one from the approved list as they still support it. This would avoid them messing with it from their end as well so your configs wont be messed with.

With my ISP, you cannot use a non-approved modem at all on their network, as they will refuse to provision it - I support that decision, since allowing non-approved modems that they haven't tested would be a nightmare to support.

With that in mind, I bought one of the modems they sold directly:

1. They offered a purchase discount due to a sale when I acquired service

2. They know these models in and out, and can provide much better support compared to the approved modems that they don't sell direct.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Thats the reason you buy a modem. So you dont have to deal with those dingle berries. Since buying my own modem, I have not have to deal with Comcast support once. ALSO, if I had to deal with Comcast support, I would just do so over at DSLreports.com where they have the Comcast direct forum, which is ran by corporate and not the local dumb fucks. Generally the corp guys can fix about anything, with the exception being billing issues. 

I dont see the point in giving Comcast $120 a year, when I can buy a modem and have it paid off in less than a year to a little over a year depends on what modem you get. 

Indeed - generally the modems that ISP's give out tend to be lower end or have sketchier quality. My last modem from Rogers was a Hitron modem/router that was frankly pretty bad - though it worked *well enough* in modem only mode.

Now, I have a standalone cable modem, and I'm using Meraki enterprise gear to actually run the network:

1. MX-64 Security Gateway: which is a router + firewall

2. MS220-8P Switch: 8-port PoE 1GigE managed switch

3. MR33 Wireless Access Point: Wireless AC

I got them all for free by watching 3 one hour Meraki webinars at work. They tend to run that promo all the time, but you need a legit business email to qualify. And you only get one of each type of device (Eg: you can't just watch multiple webinars over and over again to get yourself say, 3 AP's).

The downside is they only come with 3 year licenses (Meraki is cloud based), so after the license expires, I'll probably sell them and go back to my consumer grade hardware (TP-Link Archer C9).

On 10/20/2018 at 8:18 PM, dalekphalm said:

It's not exactly weekly. I've had it do it 4 times in a week and I've also had it go for a month with no issues. Never more than that.

Yes I can save the config, my point being I shouldn't have to reload this frequently. It also cant be encrypted, which would likely solve the problem. Since this provides no connectivity issues honestly it's been broadcasting an unused wifi network for the past 2 or three months.

I am honestly just going to live with it. If I have to deal with the ISP there are other options that are better, cheaper, and faster now.

2 hours ago, markr54632 said:

It's not exactly weekly. I've had it do it 4 times in a week and I've also had it go for a month with no issues. Never more than that.

Yes I can save the config, my point being I shouldn't have to reload this frequently. It also cant be encrypted, which would likely solve the problem. Since this provides no connectivity issues honestly it's been broadcasting an unused wifi network for the past 2 or three months.

I am honestly just going to live with it. If I have to deal with the ISP there are other options that are better, cheaper, and faster now.

You can of course choose how to handle this - and choosing to do nothing is certainly an option.

I wouldn't, however. Either:

1. Your Modem is defective, or

2. Your ISP is having major issues which result in the need to push firmware updates that frequently.

In both cases, the only proper resolution is to contact the ISP and to force a resolution - first by exchanging the modem for a new one, then second, diagnosing why it keeps resetting the way it does.

If the ISP cannot resolve those issues, they do not deserve your money. If you already have other options that are better, cheaper, and faster... why are you even still with this ISP?

Dump them, right now, and move on.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:00 AM, Donut417 said:

Going to say right off the bat, this has little to do with OPs issue, just want to make a point.

This is the situation I am referring to. 

1. Internet goes down

2. Check equipment, all seems fine

3. Contact ISP (Comcast specifically as I have had this happen with them)

4. They find out that it is not their modem and just start blaming the issue on that.

The issue could be that signal isn't coming from the node nearby but they wont look into it because their first step is to look at the modem and since they will never take your word that it's fine, they will not look further into the problem. 

Now if I have a Comcast modem then they will troubleshoot the modem first, see that they can't connect, send a tech to replace, he will inspect the lines and find the issue. The tier 1 support wont go past step 1 because they just have a checklist to follow and can't deviate from it too much.

Working as an MSP I have gotten very familiar with how Comcast, at least, does things and it works out better for the end user to run the modem they give you. In resent years they have improved as far as quality and bridging them keeps their hands out of things. It's just been easier and fast to work with their procedures instead of against them. 

You all know the biggest issues with customer support now days? They all believe every customer is a fool. If you tell them they are wrong they will ask you to behave or they will have to end the session. This is amongst the worst horsecrap with customer support teams these days and should be ilegal.

My advice is: If you have any networking gear that works throught your ISPs or any thirdparty websites, get rid of it and replace it with something you can manage from the local network. Then go learn about routing if you feel it is useful so you can sovle your own problems.

8 hours ago, Mdgtman91 said:

They find out that it is not their modem and just start blaming the issue on that.

Not if you contact Corporate support over at DSLreports.com. See I dont call the local fuckers for about anything. The only thing the corporate support team cant do is billing issues. AND when the corporate guys issue a trouble ticket, the local techs know who it came from and actually do their god damn jobs. Never have I had Comcast not fix a problem and say it was my customer owned modem. Comcast is actually very supportive of customer owned modems. 

9 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

You all know the biggest issues with customer support now days? They all believe every customer is a fool. If you tell them they are wrong they will ask you to behave or they will have to end the session. This is amongst the worst horsecrap with customer support teams these days and should be ilegal.

I know many people who have done phone support - my current coworker used to do IT phone support for an ISP.

People are fools. Most customers are morons, when it comes to tech.

So when the customer support agent asks you to power cycle your router? Just bite your lip and do it. There's a reason why they ask, and that's because they need to eliminate variables, and starting with the stupid and simple stuff is always a good idea.

Trust me. I once had a lady bring her computer in for service because her "monitor was dead" - it was unplugged...

Also, in terms of the "ask you to behave" thing - obviously they should listen to you if you're telling them information, but no customer has the right to be an asshole to you.

If you call me for support, and you're a dick, or you're cursing or yelling at me, I will tell you to stop, and if you don't, I'll hang up on you (or have you kicked out of the store, if in person).

Now, if they're ending the call simply because you disagree with their assessment? That's different. Note their name, and the time of the call. Call back, make an official complaint to the customer relations department.

If you disagree with a support tech, then ask to get the case escalated to the next level of service.

So while you might be a well informed tech enthusiast, but the 99 other people they just dealt with aren't, so have patience and allow them to eliminate the stupid stuff before they dive into the more complex stuff.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I know many people who have done phone support - my current coworker used to do IT phone support for an ISP.

People are fools. Most customers are morons, when it comes to tech.

So when the customer support agent asks you to power cycle your router? Just bite your lip and do it. There's a reason why they ask, and that's because they need to eliminate variables, and starting with the stupid and simple stuff is always a good idea.

Trust me. I once had a lady bring her computer in for service because her "monitor was dead" - it was unplugged...

Also, in terms of the "ask you to behave" thing - obviously they should listen to you if you're telling them information, but no customer has the right to be an asshole to you.

If you call me for support, and you're a dick, or you're cursing or yelling at me, I will tell you to stop, and if you don't, I'll hang up on you (or have you kicked out of the store, if in person).

Now, if they're ending the call simply because you disagree with their assessment? That's different. Note their name, and the time of the call. Call back, make an official complaint to the customer relations department.

If you disagree with a support tech, then ask to get the case escalated to the next level of service.

So while you might be a well informed tech enthusiast, but the 99 other people they just dealt with aren't, so have patience and allow them to eliminate the stupid stuff before they dive into the more complex stuff.

Well yeah of course. But let's go from a real life scenario. I call ISP customer support.

Me: Goodday, i have some problems with my router not working as it should. I've tried to reset it and checked again with the router in bridge mode. All cabeled directly to my computer only.

Customer support: Hello, could you set the router in bridge mode again?

Me : Of course.

Me: Same problem is still there.

Customer support: Did you set the router in bride mode?

Me: Yes and my cable is connected to port 3.

(Port 3 is specified in the manual btw)

Customer support: Can you run the speed test again?

Like really? The only stupidity here comes from customer support. I understand that they hang up if you are straight out a dick. But when you have done the things they ask about serval times and there simple is not any other options and you can explain this is a way that even a fool should understand something is wrong with them.