Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GarageMan

Thinking of doing a GPU Backplate

Posted · Original PosterOP

How does one go about attatching the backplate? I have an EVGA 1060 6GB SC (The small one)  and wanted to know how and where it is attatched before I build it.

Why even attach it, just let it lie on the back of the PCB with insulation (say thermal pads) to prevent shorting, if you plan on using a conductive material.

Studying abroad, ditched the crappy laptop for a mobile workstation/gaming laptop double WITH CRAPPY THERMAL PASTE THAT 1/2 THE CINEBENCH SCORE

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (1700MHz 0.812V) RAM: 12GB DDR4-2666 CL19 (timings are so loose, might as well have lower frequency). Storage: 128GB Toshiba NVMe SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) Monitor: 1080p 120Hz IPS G-sync

The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros. Software voltage readings are wrong if your motherboard's not a high end model

CPU: i7-2600K 4493MHz (multiplier: 43x) 1.35V (software) --> 1.4V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 104.5MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 10-11-11-30 2T 2133MHz, custom: 10-11-10-30 1T 2229MHz) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 2 exhausts Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (OC'd 150Hz) TN Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Results: Cinebench R15 Single thread:159 Multi-thread: 770 (thx Meltdown Spectre patch) Super Pi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.11s 1M: 8.4s 32M: 7m 45.9s

11 minutes ago, GarageMan said:

How does one go about attatching the backplate? I have an EVGA 1060 6GB SC (The small one)  and wanted to know how and where it is attatched before I build it.

screws and plastic spacers (and thermal pad ?)

12 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Why even attach it, just let it lie on the back of the PCB with insulation (say thermal pads) to prevent shorting, if you plan on using a conductive material.

plan on using acrylic, it just seems like people attatch it.

1 minute ago, GarageMan said:

aesthetics

double sided tape is probably the easiest solution. Just recommend using plastic instead of metal for the backplate

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

double sided tape is probably the easiest solution. Just recommend using plastic instead of metal for the backplate

yeah. definitely going to use acrylic

Just now, GarageMan said:

yeah. definitely going to use acrylic

thermal pads/double sided tape will all work fine. Non-conductive and easy to remove. 

Just now, Derrk said:

thermal pads/double sided tape will all work fine. Non-conductive and easy to remove. 

&& much easier than drilling holes that align with the pcb in the backplate