Samsung unveils GalaxyBook 2 with Snapdragon 850 with ONLY 4GB RAM for $1000 | Everything wrong with the Pro 6 and more

AlTech
6 minutes ago, timl132 said:

WIndows itself already consumes about 2gb, and internet browsers nowadays want a little more then 2gb ram.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

For an Android Device I would say it's adequate and usable.

For a Windows device that's just sad and really awful. You really need 8GB or more if you're planning to actually use your Windows device.

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

have you EVER tried running more than 10 tabs in chrome and spotify at the same time on Windows 10 on 4GB of ram?

I've used a SP3 With 4gb of ram as well as gamed on my desktop with only 4gb when I had to rma the other stick -- in both cases I was fine (the were one or two games that it couldn't manage, but otherwise it was smooth). And being that this a tablet and likely isn't going to be used under extremely heavy conditions, I would say 4gb is good enough.

The CPU on the other hand is going to be the problem. Windows on ARM still seems to be pretty terrible -- even the i3 -4030y in my SP3 was pretty terrible.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

No. I use Firefox. A better web browser.

And you would be using Edge on that system in any case on that system.

You want Chrome? MAYBE wait for either a Chromium branch compiled and optimized for ARM or wait for the Snapdragon 1000.. maybe..

a $1000 device should be able to run chrome. you can't argue otherwise. i don't care about arm optimized versions. if i buy a device for $1000 i need to be able to run chrome. 

She/Her

Just now, GoodBytes said:

No. I use Firefox. A better web browser.

And you would be using Edge on that system in any case on that system.

Why? Edge is basically unusable 99% of the time and Firefox uses a lot of RAM. This device doesn't have enough RAM for it to comfortably run Firefox.

You want Chrome? MAYBE wait for either a Chromium branch compiled and optimized for ARM or wait for the Snapdragon 1000.. maybe..

Or just run x86 programs?

If you're not satisfied with emulated performance then why would somebody even choose a Windows 10 on ARM device?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

So, you expect users of this device to be content with using only 1 app at a time and not being able to open more than 2 tabs of Chrome?

It is perfectly capable of doing way more. Stop providing false information.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope. I'm still not convinced we need to sacrifice performance and shoot ourselves in the foot for almost no reason.

You have the best LTE performance and longest battery life. YOU want RTX 2080, 32GB of RAM, 5K display.. most people don't care about those things, as much as you don't care about LTE and battery life.

6 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I've used a SP3 With 4gb of ram as well as gamed on my desktop with only 4gb when I had to rma the other stick -- in both cases I was fine (the were one or two games that it couldn't manage, but otherwise it was smooth). And being that this a tablet and likely isn't going to be used under extremely heavy conditions, I would say 4gb is good enough.

The CPU on the other hand is going to be the problem. Windows on ARM still seems to be pretty terrible -- even the i3 -4030y in my SP3 was pretty terrible.

i'm not saying 4GB is terrible, i have an ASUS transformer book with 4gb, and it's fine for 5 tabs and spotify. but if you want more it will slow down a bit. 

a $1000 device should have more. 

4gb on a $200 device fine, but $1000... no. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So, you expect users of this device to be content with using only 1 app at a time and not being able to open more than 2 tabs of Chrome?

Obviously didnt even watch it. Go to surface subreddit and search 4GB and youll get all the info. 4GB is plenty for these portable low power machines. I have the surface GO 8gig and almost never go about 4gigs of usage with 10 tabs, spotify and myTube

It is perfectly capable of doing way more. Stop providing false information.

I'm not spreading false information. Best case scenario you'd only be able to have 2 or 3 lightweight apps open at once.

It's inexcusable on a $700 device much less a $1000 device.

Literally 9 out of 10 times if I use Edge on a PC it'll be unresponsive as hell and won't run as smoothly as Chrome. And this is on systems with 8GB RAM and quad core i5-6500 CPUs. There's no excuse for Edge running this badly.

You have the best LTE performance and longest battery life.

OEMs should increase battery size and put some reasonably sized batteries in notebooks and then we wouldn't have battery life issues.

YOU want RTX 2080, 32GB of RAM, 5K display.. most people don't care about those things, as much as you don't care about LTE and battery life.

No, that's simply not true. I don't want an RTX 2080 in my laptop or a 5K display.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Obviously didnt even watch it. Go to surface subreddit and search 4GB and youll get all the info. 4GB is plenty for these portable low power machines. I have the surface GO 8gig and almost never go about 4gigs of usage with 10 tabs of Edge, spotify and myTube

FTFY.

Ofc if you're using Edge then you're not gonna use much RAM. If you use a browser that you would normally use then RAM usage would spike up.

FTFY.

Ofc if you're using Edge then you're not gonna use much RAM. If you use a browser that you would normally use then RAM usage would spike up.

Yeah, I used chrome (with at least 5 tabs) and onenote on my SP3 with 4gb and the ram really wasn't an issue.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, 79wjd said:

Yeah, I used chrome and one note on my SP3 with 4gb and the ram really wasn't an issue.

Literally with Firefox, Powerpoint and Word open I would often use almost 8GB RAM on Windows.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Literally 9 out of 10 times if I use Edge on a PC it'll be unresponsive as hell and won't run as smoothly as Chrome. And this is on systems with 8GB RAM and quad core i5-6500 CPUs. There's no excuse for Edge running this badly.

i can confirm edge is slow as hell. compared to chrome and even firefox edge is just slow. 

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Obviously didnt even watch it. Go to surface subreddit and search 4GB and youll get all the info. 4GB is plenty for these portable low power machines. I have the surface GO 8gig and almost never go about 4gigs of usage with 10 tabs, spotify and myTube

really? if i load 10 tabs in chrome on my laptop i'm using 3.7gb... however i do have 16gb so maybe it uses more when it has more i dunno, and i'm still on Windows 8.1... maybe Windows 10 handles it better i dunno. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, I used chrome (with at least 5 tabs) and onenote on my SP3 with 4gb and the ram really wasn't an issue.

i believe you. with 5 chrome tabs and onenote open i'm using 3.3gb... 

She/Her

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why? Edge is basically unusable 99% of the time and Firefox uses a lot of RAM. This device doesn't have enough RAM for it to comfortably run Firefox.

Firefox works excellently even if you only provide it with 400MB (1GB -> ~500MB for Windows etc).

Sure you might have problems opening 3-4 tabs of content heavy websites but at that point its partly down to a poor website (no, I do not want to watch 3 identical videos of ads at once). If you stick to lighter pages then you can easily manage 5-7 tabs without requiring to offload to disk.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

OEMs should increase battery size and put some reasonably sized batteries in notebooks and then we wouldn't have battery life issues.

Sadly the days of 8+h of battery life with a 35W CPU are long gone, removed in the pursuit of marketable thinness.

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

a $1000 device should have more. 

This is exactly the issue.

4GB Chromebooks at $400? - fine.

4GB for $1000? - You could get a 8GB laptop for $600 in 2011.

Literally with Firefox, Powerpoint and Word open I would often use almost 8GB RAM on Windows.

Using is different from needing. Windows will use cache more of there is extra space. 

For most people, I don't think memory will be the problem. The problem for me comes from the CPU and the fact that windows is still shitty on a tablet. And even in terms of price, 8gb wouldn't make it sound any better to me -- I think it should be less than $1000, but that's generally true with the surface/iPad/high end tablet market.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Remove your RAM modules to have 4GB of RAM, and now try.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Using is different from needing. Windows will use cache more of there is extra space. 

For most people, I don't think memory will be the problem. The problem for me comes from the CPU and the fact that windows is still shitty on a tablet.

4gb is an issue for me. with the stuff i usually have open at school i use 5 to 6gb. althouh that could be because of the caching. i have 16gb so... 

but i used an 8gb laptop for a long time and only had issues when i wanted to run VM's... which on a tablet most people weren't gonna do anyway. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Remove your RAM modules to have 4GB of RAM, and now try.

This was on a laptop a couple of years ago but the same thing stills hold true to this day.

And removing RAM modules isn't gonna help. I was using 64 Bit Office and 64 Bit programs because using 32 Bit programs in 2018 is perhaps just a little bit silly.

Edit: I should also note that the only device I'm running Windows on right now has 8GB modules and not 4GB modules.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

FTFY.

With Chrome 69 RAM is pretty much on par with Edge. But still it doesnt matter what browser. Edge is a good browser, chrome is a good browser. Its still getting shit done that needs to be. 

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

really? if i load 10 tabs in chrome on my laptop i'm using 3.7gb... however i do have 16gb so maybe it uses more when it has more i dunno, and i'm still on Windows 8.1... maybe Windows 10 handles it better i dunno. 

Again you are not understanding RAM and windows memory management. With 16gb its going to use what it can because unused RAM is wasted RAM. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again you are not understanding RAM and windows memory management. With 16gb its going to use what it can because unused RAM is wasted RAM. 

i said that in my post. please read the whole post before replying. 

14 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

however i do have 16gb so maybe it uses more when it has more i dunno

She/Her

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I have already done the test for this forum and showed that Windows 10 consumes ~700MB when you have 2GB of RAM.

Got link for that?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

This was on a laptop a couple of years ago but the same thing stills hold true to this day.

And removing RAM modules isn't gonna help. I was using 64 Bit Office and 64 Bit programs because using 32 Bit programs in 2018 is perhaps just a little bit silly.

Edit: I should also note that the only device I'm running Windows on right now has 8GB modules and not 4GB modules.

How is running 32bit program in 2018 is silly? Office installs by default 32-bit.

You only need 64-bit if you need high precision numbers or really large numbers in Excel (recall that you can embedded Excel tables in Word, PowerPoint, and so on, so they need to be 64-bit also to not have data loss)

2 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Got link for that?

Forum search, it is a post in a thread somewhere. Done it this year.

29 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ineresting, its the exact opplsite on my i5 3210m.

I am honestly considering swapping to edge. Its pretty good actually

9 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Got link for that?

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Forum search, it is a post in a thread somewhere. Done it this year.

I believe its also youtube Video. Running win 10 on 1-2GB

10 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Got link for that?

If I have time tonight I'll redo the demonstration.