What did you get your degree in / are you getting your degree in?

MandoPanda

Major / degree  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What is your type of degree / major?

• STEM (computer science too)
    • Liberal arts
    • Other (please explain below)

7 hours ago, EPENEX said:

I'm a useless NEET.

What's your passion? School isn't for everyone. Linus is self educated and Luke dropped out of college.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

8 hours ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

AS-T in computer science and mathematics. From there I'll be working on finishing my Bachelor's degree in Mathematics. Maybe will get a PhD in it too.

Can you be my statistician then for my research paper? xD

It’s been years since I studied Biostatistics and I don’t remember most of it other than taking the mean, median and mode. Also that pesky IBM SPSS.

Tbh I’d rather study differential/integral calculus rather than statistics which unfortunately is needed for epidemiologic studies. :dry:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

At my uni it is bachelor of arts and it think this is where it should belong. Law is just made by humans so there is no clear right or wrong like in any humanities. 

That's not really how colleges and universities differentiate between STEM fields and the liberal arts.

Psychology, for example, is considered a part of the liberal arts at most universities, but I would be hard pressed to not call psychology a science with right and wrong answers.

The same with social science and anthropology.  

In regards to law there are quite clear right and wrong answers. 

The practice of law is based on, strangly enough, the law and supporitng sources of law. Those usually gives you a clear answer. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

8 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Psychology, for example, is considered a part of the liberal arts at most universities, but I would be hard pressed to no call psychology a science with right and wrong answers.

Curious. My Psychology degree is a Bachelor of  Science (then again, it is almost half a century old).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

15 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

degree

I got a PHD and a BS from the University of Hard Knocks which is an accelerated curriculum.

Then I went into construction working for someone else until I knew better, then obtained 2 trades and got Red Seals for them. Then I started my own business, then started more businesses.

right now looking and applying under Aerospace Engineering. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

37 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Curious. My Psychology degree is a Bachelor of  Science (then again, it is almost half a century old).

It is quite curious. 

I honestly don't put much faith in the classification of "liberal arts". There are even universities that class mathematics as a liberal art. 

Again, I can't think of any reason as to why psychology shouldn't be considered a science, especially in this day and age. 

I do find my current university's classifications more accurate than just throwing stuff into STEM and liberal arts. 

You basically have departments of natural science (medicin, chemistry, biology, etc.), social sciences (psychology, anthropology, political science, etc.), law, theology and the humanities (languages, music, history, ect.).

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

This is my experience as well (with the awarding of the degree I don't have a psyc degree), I can't think of a university there its an arts degree.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

7 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Law is based on social fundamental values and these can change. What was right years ago can be outdated today but might be valid in some years again. With science what was proved wrong will be always wrong

You're conflating the practice of law with the creation and execution of law.

The practice of law is based on certain principles like legal positivism and legal dogmatism, and while they're certainly not scientific in nature, they're also far from the purely argumentive approach of most liberal arts.

Just because the data change it doesn't mean the methode will.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

-snip-

It's really astounding how you could politicize a simple question.

I really was just curious about people's choice in degree (and there's an 'other' option too) but I didn't mean to shit on people without degrees at all. You seem really touchy about degrees or institutions that offer degrees, and I'm sure you have spent plenty of time and conversations with people about your thoughts on the matter and the fact that a degree is not required to go places in this life. 

I don't discount people who do not have a college degree. I do not believe that college is for everyone. I do believe that people can do great things without college degrees (as you yourself have proven). But if we start to shit on liberal arts degrees and institutionalized education as a whole we are going down a dark path. There's the old phrase that I hate to bring up 'history repeats itself'. If we are all middle educated people who focus on our daily jobs to bring in income, who will study the past and the larger trends to tell us when we are headed for a bad place or about to repeat a disaster?

I agree with your point that there is a large employment gap in America that has to do with a lack of middle educated folks. Notice here that when I say educated, it does not necessarily mean a degree or other conventional methods of schooling, but it means education which can be acquired through several different means including apprenticeship or self taught methods.

Where an issue arises is when you need to prove your education. This is the nice part of an institution that can give you a paper that says 'I know how to deal with the system, turn things in on time, deal with authority, and pay enough attention to pass my classes'. Employers look at this and know that the individual can at least work with the system and can become a good cog in the machine. Whereas someone who cannot prove their education via a degree or certificate will have a tougher time to prove themselves without the help of the good word of a mentor or someone who can vouch for their knowledge.

Like with many things in this life, it is not black or white. There is a middle road. Neither one path or the other should be glorified or demonized. 

Personally, as long as you are doing something that you are passionate about, that is all that matters.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

9 hours ago, Volbet said:

...Psychology, for example, is considered a part of the liberal arts at most universities, but I would be hard pressed to not call psychology a science with right and wrong answers...

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

6 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

This is my experience as well (with the awarding of the degree I don't have a psyc degree), I can't think of a university there its an arts degree.

After I posted last night, curiosity got the better of me and I did a bit of research on the topic and tried to post my results but the forum "chose" that time to go pear shaped, the post wouldn't go through, the forums went down, and I went to bed.

In a nutshell, even though Psychology was once only considered a Science degree, many universities consider it to be an Arts degree and others have both Arts and Science degrees in Psychology. The Science degree focuses more on Psychology courses while the Arts degree would involve fewer Psychology courses and more liberal arts classes, often including a language.

In retrospect, my B.S. would have qualified more as an Arts degree than a Science degree. I was going to go into Electrical Engineeing but couldn't get past Analysis/Calculus so, to salvage two years of college and avoid loosing too many credits and having to take a language (a subject I stink at) if I persued an Arts degree, I changed majors to Psychology (I had an interest in possibly working in the field back then), taking the bare minimal courses required for the degree and minored in Industrial Arts Education, a bit of a sham since I concentrated more on acquiring trade skills, such as cabinet work, welding, machine shop, and some automotive instead of education courses (the education classes I took actually counted for both my major and minor).

Jobs were tough to find when I graduated so I worked briefly in a gas station and a couple of cabinet shops before I landed a job with a company where I worked a irrigation delivery order phone bank, as a janitor, in a machine shop, and on a power line construction crew before I landed in warehousing, where I stayed 30 of the 32 years I was at the company before retiring. That job paid far more with far better benefits than I ever could hope to make with an M.S. in Pschology, let alone a B.S.

Btw, we all know that B.S. has another meaning. M.S. means more of it and PhD means piled higher and deeper.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

I agree

There is a funny thing with the interweb, it is hard to distinguish between humor and seriousness.

btw I have a a couple university degrees all that helped me land jobs in the petroleum industry.

Got a ghetto liberal arts degree. Majored in international studies and poli sci from a top tier school. Graduated top of my class. Worst decision ever. Completely worthless. I pretend to be a genius by throwing around esoteric words and concepts when in fact my arguments clearly lack any significance. I secretly wished I pursued computer engineering or medical science but I don't let my friends know about it because that would bruise my ego. lol. I still make good money, but not six figures good. 

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

Undergrad and masters in Biochemical Engineering.  

I do enjoy a lot of liberal arts type things.  I enjoy philosophy, photography and history.  But there is no way I'm paying for a 4 year education in any of those fields.  I know enough people that got degrees in the arts.  Almost none of them ever found a job in the field.  And the ones that did don't get payed well enough to justify the 6 figure debt.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

12 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

right now looking and applying under Aerospace Engineering. 

I actually want to work in a field related to Aerospace with my Computing Science background. Applied to Boeing for Co-op but got an offer from the Government before Boeing even responded to my application so I went that route. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

17 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

To be honest I’d rather study differential/integral calculus rather than statistics, which unfortunately is needed for epidemiological studies. :dry:

One of my professors was actually doing research in mathematical biology. Basically entirely differential equation modelling.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Doing Bachelor of Information Technology (Network + Security and Games Development) right now.

I'm still unsure what to do after that, maybe Business/Economics, or do completely different thing and go to Motorsport Racing Academy.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Grew up in foster care, emancipated at 15 and joined the work force and completed HS.  No money for College.

I own my own Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gym now and I am studying to be a Professor (black belt) at BJJ.  9 years into my "degree" so far and its a good money maker.  Also work a full time corporate job data mining but that's until I can replace my income with jiu jitsu only. :)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 10/20/2018 at 2:08 PM, Volbet said:

There are even universities that class mathematics as a liberal art. 

I’d probably dissuade my children (if I bother to have one) to enroll on a university that classifies a bachelor’s degree in mathematics as a part of liberal arts which is not true. 

21 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I’d probably dissuade my children (if I bother to have one) to enroll on a university that classifies a bachelor’s degree in mathematics as a part of liberal arts which is not true. 

Why?

It would depend a lot on the angle you take on mathematics. If you're just learning about how math work, then I would agree that it isn't to be considered a part of the liberal arts. But if your learning about why math works, then it's absolutely a part of the liberal arts.

Advanced diploma in networking and I.T

So I'm not even in high school yet, but I would love to get a degree in computer engineering.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

26 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Why?

It would depend a lot on the angle you take on mathematics. If you're just learning about how math work, then I would agree that it isn't to be considered a part of the liberal arts. But if your learning about why math works, then it's absolutely a part of the liberal arts.

Well the university I went to offers "Bachelor of Science in Mathematics major in Actuarial Science". I don't think my calculus professor who is a Physics graduate would be so keen to classify math as part of the liberal arts. As for me, that was the first time I've seen a university offer math under the liberal arts department. 

I got my BSc and MSc in Astronomy. Currently I'm doing my PhD research project on radio emission from galaxies.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB