Intel 9900K Reviews

Deus Voltage

Reviews are out, share your opinions folks!

Gamers Nexus:

Spoiler

KitGuruTech:

Spoiler

Paul's Hardware:

Spoiler

Hardware Unboxed:

Spoiler

Hardware Canucks:

Spoiler

Der8auer:

Spoiler

Looks like I'm holding onto my 5820K even longer. We'll see what happens next year so. I'm keeping my Noctua NH D15s also; and seeing temps reaching 84 average gaming is mental ( on the 9900K stock in HW Unboxed ). Overclocked my CPU doesn't break 60 degrees in AIDA 64 for a full day.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

As long as a chip is running below thermal max, why the outrage over temps?  Do people think intel does not know how hot their chips can run safely?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Trying to find the boxed wraith cooler for the 2700 or 2700X to be used for comparison in the review.

I'm actually curious about what he'll say (following the backlash over the last LTT stream). Best to bring extra popcorn though.

Looking at the GN review looks like the 9900k is a pretty good streaming CPU compared to the 2700x, just comes down to can you justify the extra couple hundred bucks for CPU/MoBo with Intel for better streamer and viewer side frames. 

Thermals also look better than I thought they would with the delidded 9900k running cooler than the 8086k at 5Ghz. The non delided results actually look pretty good considering we are looking at a 8c/16t CPU running at a 5Ghz all core boost frequency. 

No surprised to see that Intel still holds the gaming crown, and makes me sad that I have a 1700x every time I see how it compares to current gen Intel CPU's. 

Surprised to see the 9900K at 5.2Ghz running about equal with a 7900x in benchmarks, although in this type of workload you have to consider is the extra money worth the slightly shorter render times compared to the 2700x. With the 9900k being almost double the price of a 2700x for just the CPU not factoring in the added money for a HS and more expensive MoBo, is going Intel the right choice in this use case.

Overall, I think the 9900k is a decent value for streaming, if you stream enough to actually make money off of it. You get faster frames on the streaming side along with better quality and less dropped frames on the viewer side. Going with this setup will also still be cheaper than picking up a second tower to use as a dedicated streaming setup. I don't think however, it is worth the money if you just want a faster CPU for gaming. I have not looked at any 9700k reviews to see how it stacks up against the 8700k, but at the current price point I still think the 8700k is the better value. 

I am so happy I did not order this chip.

Going by Hardware Unboxed my cooling solution would not be adequate. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

So uh, is this going to be the next CPU that allows a high-performance gaming PC to double as a space heater?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Smiley said:

Looking at the GN review looks like the 9900k is a pretty good streaming CPU compared to the 2700x, just comes down to can you justify the extra couple hundred bucks for CPU/MoBo with Intel for better streamer and viewer side frames. 

Thermals also look better than I thought they would with the delidded 9900k running cooler than the 8086k at 5Ghz. The non delided results actually look pretty good considering we are looking at a 8c/16t CPU running at a 5Ghz all core boost frequency. 

No surprised to see that Intel still holds the gaming crown, and makes me sad that I have a 1700x every time I see how it compares to current gen Intel CPU's. 

Surprised to see the 9900K at 5.2Ghz running about equal with a 7900x in benchmarks, although in this type of workload you have to consider is the extra money worth the slightly shorter render times compared to the 2700x. With the 9900k being almost double the price of a 2700x for just the CPU not factoring in the added money for a HS and more expensive MoBo, is going Intel the right choice in this use case.

Overall, I think the 9900k is a decent value for streaming, if you stream enough to actually make money off of it. You get faster frames on the streaming side along with better quality and less dropped frames on the viewer side. Going with this setup will also still be cheaper than picking up a second tower to use as a dedicated streaming setup. I don't think however, it is worth the money if you just want a faster CPU for gaming. I have not looked at any 9700k reviews to see how it stacks up against the 8700k, but at the current price point I still think the 8700k is the better value. 

The thing with streaming though is that who actually streams at 10Mb/s 12Mb/s?

Rarely anyone uses more than 6Mb/s or 7Mb/s for streaming as that is usually the max cap (unless you're a partner). 

Not to mention that 10Mb/s with MEDIUM preset is absolutely insane and it just kills the CPU in-game performance while the impact on the quality of the stream is not very significant at those bitrates if you're doing 1080p60.

720p60 at 6Mb/s Medium would likely look better than 1080p60 10Mb/s Medium while having much lesser performance impact and it would be accessible for more people since not everyone has internet fast enough to watch high bitrate streams. 

i9 9900k looks really nice in the comparison with R7 2700X but the pricing is just way too much when there is a wild card called ThreadRipper 1920X 12c/24t which can be often had for under $400.

Yes, the 1920X still won't beat the i9 9900k in FPS but outside of games it is a much bigger beast overall. 

Got curious as to how much it would be to upgrade my system to the 9900K, and even just running it at sock on my D15s cooler.
The Prices to get one to Ireland is a little high...I doubt I can even manage with 16GB RAM; when did it get so expensive!

jjOKYtu.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

It seems that intel is at the very limit of their 14nm process, looking at the power draw and by the fact that it is soldered. It seems like it is just very super overclocked 6700k x2.

If the @VegetableStu chart is correct, it seems to me that the 8c 9900k draws as much power as the 32c 2990wx???

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Hardware Unboxed is a joke.  He sensationalizes everything.  Pretty much the only reviewer I refuse to watch.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

here's Steve of Hardwareunboxed/Techspot

That confirms my suspicions that intel is running their 14nm process way out the efficiency curve, that is why they soldered it, because the toothpaste would melt if they didnt.

A 8core chip that consumes as much as a 32c? That is a joke.

So for the next gen chips they must go 10nm, otherways we will end up with 400w 10core at 5.2ghz chips.

8700K seems like the better buy, 9700k if it sold for MSRP.

From a gaming perspective.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

That confirms my suspicions that intel is running their 14nm process way out the efficiency curve, that is why they soldered it, because the toothpaste would melt if they didnt.

A 8core chip that consumes as much as a 32c? That is a joke.

So for the next gen chips they must go 10nm, otherways we will end up with 400w 10core at 5.2ghz chips.

Did you see der8auer video?

If you delid the 9900k and sand down the die you can get 15c back.

Intel messed up the die stack up and solder set up.

When he delided a ryzen CPU he only got a 1c gain with direct die cooling.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

26 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

So uh, is this going to be the next CPU that allows a high-performance gaming PC to double as a space heater?

My old amd 9590 will be the judge of that

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

22 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Did you see der8auer video?

If you delid the 9900k and sand down the die you can get 15c back.

Intel messed up the die stack up and solder set up.

When he delided a ryzen CPU he only got a 1c gain with direct die cooling.

i didn't even talk about the temperature, i just said that intel has reached the limit of their 14nm process, because that is a 8core chip that consumes 220W at 5ghz, so if they went any further it would consume exponentially more power. Also no OC potential.

But if there is a temp problem too then it gets even better.

So, I have seen Hardware Unboxed and HW Canucks so far. I see the 9900k doesn't OC well.. so how does it compare to an OC 8700k? I feel like with the current reviews being on stock results, does an OC in 8700k or even a 2700x diminish the value of the 9900k even further? Kinda hoping GN talks about this. 

Will watch more after class.

So much negative talk about power and thermals.  Everyone forgot to mention it is a VERY fast chip...