Make steam find games that aren't in the steamapps folder

Coldris

I'm trying to mod skyrim to shit but as part of that process I need skyrim to be located in X:\Skyrim, whereas steam insists on it being in the Steamapps/common folder. Is there any way to make steam realise that i have the game installed and access it from X:\Skyrim?

Thanks,

Coldris

4 minutes ago, Coldris said:

I'm trying to mod skyrim to shit but as part of that process I need skyrim to be located in X:\Skyrim, whereas steam insists on it being in the Steamapps/common folder. Is there any way to make steam realise that i have the game installed and access it from X:\Skyrim?

Thanks,

Coldris

You can try modifying the games install location in the app manifest. I've never tried it personally but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Within Steam settings you can set up another library, on your X drive now. Afterwards you can select Skyrim to install in that folder/on that drive and it will see Skyrim is already there and finish up within minutes (not downloading the files, but just verifying them)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Within Steam settings you can set up another library, on your X drive now. Afterwards you can select Skyrim to install in that folder/on that drive and it will see Skyrim is already there and finish up within minutes (not downloading the files, but just verifying them)

I've already tried that. It's just that when I do that, steam insists that skyrim MUST be installed in X:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim, whereas I just want it to access the folder that's already there.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You can try modifying the games install location in the app manifest. I've never tried it personally but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

How do I access the app manifest?

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

You can't create a steam folder in a location that already has files in it, Steam will actively refuse. Besides which Steam still enforces the Steamapps/Common structure, even in library folders.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Coldris said:

How do I access the app manifest?

Exit Steam entirely.

First you need to get Skyrims Steam App ID then in Steamapps/Common there's a load of files called appmanifest_xxxxx (where xxxxx is the steam app id).

Open Skyrims manifest in notepad and you can modify the install location. Save when finished.

Reload Steam and it should point to the new location.