Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jensen Fern

General System Upgrading

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Ok people,

Currently my pc is running an i5-6500 cpu on a gigabyte h110m-s2h motherboard, and a msi gtx 970 4gb oc, and 16gb corsair vengeance ddr4 ram all inside of the aerocool c7 p1.

I have recently purchased some cooling gear (just a fan hub and extension leads and i'm waiting on the fans) just as a minor upgrade as my pc doesnt carry air through properly as it builds up dust everywhere and also because its on a carpet.

So my question is really, does anyone recommend any upgrades for the current gaming market, cpu's/gpu's/motherboards as i have been looking through some things but my pc currently performs as i need it too on games like overwatch or fallout or counter-strike Go but its kind of more future proofing it kinda?. So i'm really torn as to whether i should spend money or not (in the future ill probs do an aio cpu cooler) but never gpu water cooling.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are happy with your performance than there is no need to upgrade anything. Wait till you aren't happy with the performance then get the best thing out at that time which will likely be better than what is out now. No point in upgrading for the future you can simply wait and upgrade when the need arises. I have upgraded for future proofing before and ended up upgrading my hardware anyways because the hardware that I had bought to be future proof ended up being outclassed by a good margin by newer hardware. Anyways the bottom line is that upgrading for the sake of upgrading is silly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a very similar setup as you ( i7-6700K; MSI Z170a Gaming M5 Motheroard; Gigabyte GTX 970; and 16 GB Hyper-X ddr4) and i upgraded my GPU to a 1080Ti and i added another 8GB of RAM.

I personally thing your system in still a very capable system, but of course that always depends on what you are doing with it.

If you want to upgrade something, I suggest that you go for a GTX 1070, 1080 or 1080Ti, as prices for the 10-Series are dropping now. Of course you should check what framerates you are getting right now and if you would get any noticeable performance boost out of it and if your screen can handle the higher framerate

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
36 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you are happy with your performance than there is no need to upgrade anything. Wait till you aren't happy with the performance then get the best thing out at that time which will likely be better than what is out now. No point in upgrading for the future you can simply wait and upgrade when the need arises. I have upgraded for future proofing before and ended up upgrading my hardware anyways because the hardware that I had bought to be future proof ended up being outclassed by a good margin by newer hardware. Anyways the bottom line is that upgrading for the sake of upgrading is silly. 

Ok, thank you for the advice, in the back of my head that was what i was thinking but the enthusiast side just wanted more parts ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, OskarKE said:

I have a very similar setup as you ( i7-6700K; MSI Z170a Gaming M5 Motheroard; Gigabyte GTX 970; and 16 GB Hyper-X ddr4) and i upgraded my GPU to a 1080Ti and i added another 8GB of RAM.

I personally thing your system in still a very capable system, but of course that always depends on what you are doing with it.

If you want to upgrade something, I suggest that you go for a GTX 1070, 1080 or 1080Ti, as prices for the 10-Series are dropping now. Of course you should check what framerates you are getting right now and if you would get any noticeable performance boost out of it and if your screen can handle the higher framerate

Thank you for your advice, i think ill wait for now but when the time arises ill splash on a new gpu :) :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jensen Fern said:

Ok people,

Currently my pc is running an i5-6500 cpu on a gigabyte h110m-s2h motherboard, and a msi gtx 970 4gb oc, and 16gb corsair vengeance ddr4 ram all inside of the aerocool c7 p1.

I have recently purchased some cooling gear (just a fan hub and extension leads and i'm waiting on the fans) just as a minor upgrade as my pc doesnt carry air through properly as it builds up dust everywhere and also because its on a carpet.

So my question is really, does anyone recommend any upgrades for the current gaming market, cpu's/gpu's/motherboards as i have been looking through some things but my pc currently performs as i need it too on games like overwatch or fallout or counter-strike Go but its kind of more future proofing it kinda?. So i'm really torn as to whether i should spend money or not (in the future ill probs do an aio cpu cooler) but never gpu water cooling.
 

Any game you're having trouble playing a certain game?

 

Any performance issues?

 

If none, you don't need an upgrade. Heck, I'm still on a 660 Ti and an i7-3770 setup and have not upgraded since all I use my computer for is SC2; DOTA 2 and YouTube.

 

With the specs you posted, only thing I could actually suggest for upgrades would be an SSD if you do not have one yet. 


CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×