Just a silly question

So, I found Linus Tech Tips channel like, a week ago and I was just passing through the videos until I watch the video when his server crashes. Ans I would like to understand why when one raid card gets corrupted or stop working ALL the data will be gone.

Link of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

4 minutes ago, victorluisgr said:

server

Did you see the fire in the server room?

Corrupted raid is using a bad raid config, or the hardware is corrupted. It is hard to say if that was true life or made up.

Sure, but that doesn't explains why if you lose 1 raid all the data is gone.

Even the cameraman said at some point of the video: "But we have 3 raids" and Linus: "Sure, but if we lost 1 raid card EVERYTHING IS GONE".

Yeah some types of raids are like that.

I dont watch Linus' video's no more, how was that fixed?

They called a data recovery center and they did data recovery magic.

37 minutes ago, victorluisgr said:

So, I found Linus Tech Tips channel like, a week ago and I was just passing through the videos until I watch the video when his server crashes. Ans I would like to understand why when one raid card gets corrupted or stop working ALL the data will be gone.

26 minutes ago, victorluisgr said:

Sure, but that doesn't explains why if you lose 1 raid all the data is gone.

Even the cameraman said at some point of the video: "But we have 3 raids" and Linus: "Sure, but if we lost 1 raid card EVERYTHING IS GONE".

He was using a striped array .... mm cant remember off the top of my head which he said it was but the way he set it up with the cards it was a one drive loss, almost total loss setup. If I remember even Linus admitted that it was a dumb move on his part. I would have to go back re watch the videos of when he set it up.....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

He was using a striped array .... mm cant remember off the top of my head which he said it was but the way he set it up with the cards it was a one drive loss, almost total loss setup. If I remember even Linus admitted that it was a dumb move on his part. I would have to go back re watch the videos of when he set it up.....

Might have been RAID10, but I'd need to watch video again (I don't mind, its one of my favorites). They did loose one array, not single drive (IIRC).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

so the way it works basically, is it combines multiple drives into one. so if you do this with 4 drives in a striped array for example, you get 4x the speed. 

the downside is because it treats it as one drive, if one of the 4 drives fails all the data is lost, because it splits everything over the 4 drives. 

so say you put a game on an array like that and one of the drives fails, now 25% of the game is gone, so it's unusable..

She/Her

He created 3 RAID5 (Data disks + 1 parity disks)  and he striped them into a RAID50 in Windows. 

The problem is, that means data is distributed amongst all 3 raid's. He did it because he wanted a single large logical volume I guess. 

With something like unRAID it writes a single file to a single disk, but a proper RAID distributes blocks of that file across drives....so one of their videos could exist on 12 of those disks across all 3 RAID's. 

It was a really silly setup to be honest. The way it was configured, if he lost 2 drives in any one of those 3 arrays, he loses everything. Hybrid RAID is really not recommended. 

From scrubbing through the video it looks like his RAID card lost its configuration. I've actually done that at home when i've restructed my raid. When that happens it will show 0 Virtual Devices, but if you re-create the RAID with the same config without initializing then you can recreate the virtual drive. Really he should have had a backup of his RAID controller configs if he didnt go with defaults. That way he could have recovered it himself. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 10/19/2018 at 4:31 AM, victorluisgr said:

Linus used RAID controllers to handle RAID then striped the controllers together in Windows to create a RAID in a RAID so you add two layers of RAID, if one of the controllers then go bad you break up the RAID and not a drive that might have parity.

Example on this would be i have two raid controllers using RAID5 i then RAID0 then together in Windows, If one RAID controller fails all data is gone. Because the top layer is RAID0.

Another example would be having RAID1 instead of RAID0 If one of the controllers broke i would still keep the data because windows just used each controller as a seperate disk. Since RAID 1 is a mirror i would still be fine.