Microsoft is running a reward scheme for using their services

Thought I'd share this after I was notified about it on my desktop lockscreen. Microsoft seems to be employing a reward scheme to increase their share of the software market. More specifically they're offering rewards for using Bing as a search engine, they reward usage of MSN and they're even rewarding people who have played the latest Forza Game. The rewards are limited to 3 redeemable tasks, ie "use Bing to search 3 times and earn X points". They are also offering bonus tasks to complete for additional points. The UX of the website indicates to me that they're definitely targeting the younger demographic - put it this way, I'd rather be forced to use it for an hour rather than watching a minecraft story mode lets play for 2 minutes.

You can redeem points into vouchers and sweepstakes + more and probably more in the future too.

Take a look for yourselves: https://account.microsoft.com/rewards/

Personally, I'd check on it every now and then if I receive notifications on it to remind me. Free things is always nice, I guess. But I don't think it's enough to go out of my way to use Bing (haha) for example. I think Microsoft's goals were misaligned here and focused on attracting customers with 'dazzling lights' rather than just improving their product and attracting customers with unique features. What does the LTT community think? :)

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-son-make-some-big-changes-bing-rewards-including-its-name

Capture.PNG

Bing rewards has existed for YEARS

I use it and have personally made well over $125 in Amazon gift cards which I usually use to buy small items like cables or help pay the shipping/tax on larger items. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Bing rewards has existed for YEARS

I use it and have personally made well over $100 in Amazon gift cards which I usually use to buy small items like cables or help pay the shipping/tax on larger items. 

This a little different though, it's a reinvented push targeted at a different demographic - mainly gamers it seems.

Screenshot shows they've closed Bing Rewards, or at least closed sign ups/down for maintenance. All points towards a replacement

Capture2.PNG

3 minutes ago, iamsuperfro said:

This a little different though, it's a reinvented push targeted at a different demographic - mainly gamers it seems.

Screenshot shows they've closed Bing Rewards, or at least closed sign ups/down for maintenance. All points towards a replacement

Capture2.PNG

Works fine for me

F0DECA06-5F78-4B8A-BE76-1E2D34498201.thumb.jpeg.1b814bff2cfdc541fa8a09c11815ff99.jpeg

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Works fine for me

F0DECA06-5F78-4B8A-BE76-1E2D34498201.thumb.jpeg.1b814bff2cfdc541fa8a09c11815ff99.jpeg

Turns out this shift happened in 2016, I'm 2 years 2 late! I'm surprised I haven't seen it before - could be due to the unobtrusive ad on the Windows 10 Lock screen, I may not have noticed it. Cheers for letting me know! I guess this post can serve as a reminder/alert for new Windows users and the like.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-son-make-some-big-changes-bing-rewards-including-its-name

Oh yea, its been while.I know it is available in the US and Canada,not sure about other regions.

You get points for doing stuff,including using Bing (has a limit), and you can get gift cards, or use points to win a lottery for stuff like XBox Store gift card, XBox Ones, computers, and such.

If you have a Microsoft account, you are ready to earn points (maybe you already have some without you knowing).

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh yea, its been while.I know it is available in the US and Canada,not sure about other regions.

You get points for doing stuff,including using Bing (has a limit), and you can get gift cards and such.

Seems like it was released in the UK a year or so after the states!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6583978/microsoft-rewards-free-starbucks-xbox-bing

Pfft, I can't believe Canada complains about getting stuff last - look at us in the UK having to wait an extra year for "Microsoft, The RPG" ?

48 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

(has a limit),

Yeah, but it resets once a day and you get bonuses by doing their polls or little Bing quizzes. Plus you get extra points by using Edge. Also you can earn points both on PC and mobile. 

58 minutes ago, Slayerking92 said:

Time to make a BingBot.

TBH, the only thing i've ever binged was "Chrome Download"

They ban you super quick for using a bot. Lol 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Works fine for me

I mean I know you like Apple, but you use Safari? Why? My only guess would be better sync between iPad, iPhone and MacOS....

And agreed I've seen this be a thing for a few years now but I've never felt enough incentive to utilise the service.

Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

I mean I know you like Apple, but you use Safari? Why? My only guess would be better sync between iPad, iPhone and MacOS....

And agreed I've seen this be a thing for a few years now but I've never felt enough incentive to utilise the service.

Safari is simple a better browser on iOS. On iOS every browser is essential a derivative of it because of WebKit and it is the only browser that supports adblocker extensions from the App Store. It also links with everything and requires no extra steps when sharing and I can Handoff anything in it to my Mac just by being near it. 

Safari on desktop is a different story, but Safari on mobile is unparalleled 

My mom's account is loaded with thousands of points lol. Will ask her later today if I can use some rewards. She's been using BING for years

This has existed for a long time and IIRC you get the most point for using their Edge browser in combination with Bing. It only added up to something like $5 a month which isn’t worth it to me but I’m sure it would make sense in less fortunate countries.

55 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

$5 a month which isn’t worth it to me but I’m sure it would make sense in less fortunate countries.

I'm sure Microsoft points is the last thing people in developing countries is concerned with accumulating ?

14 minutes ago, iamsuperfro said:

I'm sure Microsoft points is the last thing people in developing countries is concerned with accumulating ?

You redeem the points for gift cards that you can sell for actual $

I actually used Edge for a while there a few years back (it was a dark time) and I can confirm Microsoft rewards is actually pretty cool.

it's time

I always just ignore these emails, it sounded like a scam right of the bat

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Kinda old news. Not really point as I don't use any services on windows which I can redeem point for. Maybe in app purchases but who uses window store anyways?

Magical Pineapples

Use Bing pay daily coffee. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's pretty sad when a company has to resort to what is essentially bribery to get people to use their services.

Now here is a radical concept. Make services and products that are good enough that people will actually want to use them without being bribed, forced, or tricked into using them.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

As it was mentioned, this is old (years old) and so isn't news, so the thread was moved to the General section.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !