NAS / Storage solution

Hey guys,

lately im running a 6,5 tb jbod with 4 drives on windows (1 drive is broken and now im fucked up) and my own created nas with a linux and KVM and some VM´s with 1 TB storage.

Now I wanna change my full storage solution to another level.

I´ve got an old i5 with a z77 mainboard and wanna upgrade this server with a 10 gbit sfp+ nic, raid card and a shelf conected via sashd.

I wanna a raid 10 with 4 drives.

Here is a small list:

NIC's

Shelf pref Netapp,hp,dell SATA drives 

raid card (0,1,5,6,10,15,16)

hdd

My other Setup see below

Please give me some advise or other different products you prefer.

Thanks for your help and support

BLVCK

PCMASTERRACE:

Intel Core i7 4790K @4,8GHZ | ASUS GTX 1080TI 11GB StriX OC @2 ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | G Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16gb | 750 Watt Corsair Power Supply
Zalmann Z11 + | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 | 6TB + 500 GB HDD | 250GB SSD | 500GB SSD
Samsung SyncMaster S22B300B | Benq RL2455HM | Acer XF270HUAbmiidprzx
Zowie FK2 |Corsair K70 LUX MX RED | Razer Megalodon 7.1 Headset | Auna Mic 900B | XXL Mousepad from TrilluXe

SV:

AMD FX 4100 | MSI 760GMA-P34 | 1TB HDD | Intel PRO 1000 PT | 8GB DDR3 non ECC | 500 watt gold PSU | Xilence AMD 3+ cooler

13 hours ago, manikyath said:

advice:

raid 5, not raid 10.

or preferably, if its a dedicated device anyways, something like ZFS.

any reason you prefer raid 5 over 10?

Pellet Stove

Spoiler

CPU - I7 6700k l CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 l GPU - MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z l Mobo - MSI Gaming Pro Carbon l RAM - 16GB @ 2666 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 l PSU - Corsair RM850i l SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | HDD - Toshiba 2TB | Case - Cooler Master HAF XB EVO W/ LTT Noctua NF-F12s l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse - Azio Levetron GM2000 l KeyBoard - Corsair K95 RGB l

Maybe for capacity. For performance I’d chose 10.  during a rebuild the chance of a rebuild failure is much higher with raid 5 vs 6 or 10 with larger drives. Raid 10 also rebuilds much faster than either. 

For raid card, I used an LSI 9261-8i (basically the same as 9260-8i) for a while with BBU and a 24 drive raid 6 (with an intel expander). Worked great and is cheap on eBay. There’s plenty of other alternatives. now I’m just running a JBOD setup and drive pool on a 9211-8i...been meaning to set up snapraid, but have been slacking for three years now lol. 

What about just just going for a Mellanox ConnectX-3 with infiniband for 40GbE or something like an intel x540 or x550 10GbE card on Ethernet? 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

6 hours ago, Pbr38 said:

any reason you prefer raid 5 over 10?

because a raid 10 only realisticly allows for any *single* drive to fail, the second one becomes a game of chance.

beyond that a raid5 loses less storage space to redundancy, and is (slightly) more intelligent about handling drive failures.

54 minutes ago, manikyath said:

because a raid 10 only realisticly allows for any *single* drive to fail, the second one becomes a game of chance.

beyond that a raid5 loses less storage space to redundancy, and is (slightly) more intelligent about handling drive failures.

The main problem with RAID5 is the rebuild time, which means you better have a decent spread of batches across your drives or you're very vulnerable. If possible, go RAID6.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

The main problem with RAID5 is the rebuild time, which means you better have a decent spread of batches across your drives or you're very vulnerable. If possible, go RAID6.

well.. sure, that's why raid6 was invented.

but here i kinda return to my initial mention of ZFS, and if all your drives are kicking the bucket all at once.. raid10 wont be very good either ?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well.. sure, that's why raid6 was invented.

but here i kinda return to my initial mention of ZFS, and if all your drives are kicking the bucket all at once.. raid10 wont be very good either ?

That's fair. At work we exclusively deploy RAID10 where SSDs aren't viable because of cost, obviously the best way around the data loss probability is the use of hot spares. If you want both performance and reliability, it's the only real option. Enterprise SSDs aren't fun.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I disagree, enterprise SSDs are very fun. *looks over at my 50TB server of 12Gb/s SAS SSDs and multi-terabyte PCIe NVMe SSDs*

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

They’re not fun when you have to buy them. When we order from HP, even the entry level 400gig SSDs cost a whopping €400 before taxes, a 15K 600gig SAS disk costs less than half. When you deal with small business customers, they’re really not viable yet.

Oh, I just get mine for free lol. I see your hardship now. eBay has good prices on last gen stuff, tho often little or no warranty.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)