Discord ToS update revokes users' right to sue

abjd

Literally me every time Discord does stuff no one asked for 

6ot9upgbwbj11.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I sent a query to the contact address in the Terms of Use asking if EU residents need to opt-out of the Arbitration Clause, due to it being legally unenforceable here. I'll update with their reply.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I already sent them an email yesterday. I guess it doesn't hurt to do so.

Just some info for people outside the US:

In many regions, TOS clauses forcing arbitration are illegal, and resultantly there is nothing to which you need opt out.

This includes the entirety of the European Union, under the GDPR legislation.

This also includes most of Canada, including Ontario, Quebec, and barring a few exceptions which do not apply here, British Columbia.

https://gist.github.com/Rapptz/c93697c9d59ec2f0d8071b7d0e907632#gistcomment-2735825

Hello

Not surprising that they engage in shady tactics given the track record of the guy who made discord.

1 minute ago, Amazonsucks said:

Not surprising that they engage in shady tactics given the track record of the guy who made discord.

Mind expanding on that statement?

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the US is a weird place were someone can agree to not have rights.

*signs paper

announcer: you are legally now an item and can apply to be a bullet

56 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Discord can screw off.

When I can afford to pay $10/month for a hosted Alternative then I will.

Teamspeak has been around for a long time. You can host it yourself on your PC. 

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the US is a weird place were someone can agree to not have rights.

What a funny thing to say. In many places you cant agree not to have them... Since they just dont have them to begin with. ?

Just now, Amazonsucks said:

Yh but that relies on his internet and computer being up all the time.

Hello

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Discord can screw off.

When I can afford to pay $10/month for a hosted Alternative then I will.

Why $10/m

what are you looking for?

for VOIP teamspeak is free if self hosted or $2.5/m if you use a VPS, or use mine see sig.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

10 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

What a funny thing to say. In many places you cant agree not to have them... Since they just dont have them to begin with. ?

It's not open source. I want to own my data.

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Why $10/m

what are you looking for?

for VOIP teamspeak is free if self hosted or $2.5/m if you use a VPS, or use mine see sig.

See above.

I basically want to host a Rocket.Chat instance through Docker and I've been looking at Digital Ocean's Docker Droplet.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

See above.

I basically want to host a Rocket.Chat instance through Docket and I've been looking at Digital Ocean's Docker Droplet.

Can't you get a VPS for $2.5/m I have one on vultr that cost that much, and added backups for $0.5/m

Rocket.chat looks cool.

13 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

if the measurement you use to compare the US to, is places were people have no rights, then i guess you're just making my point.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

See above.

I basically want to host a Rocket.Chat instance through Docker and I've been looking at Digital Ocean's Docker Droplet.

please don't make me install another fucking messaging app:

- discord

- telegram

- signal

- kik

- instagram

- facebook messenger

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

please don't make me install another fucking messaging app:

- discord

- telegram

- signal

- kik

- instagram

- facebook messenger

I don't even know what telegram, signal, kik are lol.

On my phone I text, and I have Discord and Teamspeak, no others.

7 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Can't you get a VPS for $2.5/m I have one on vultr that cost that much, and added backups for $0.5/m

Rocket.chat looks cool.

Could you PM me a link? Thanks :).

Something which respects EU rights would be an added bonus.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

I don't even know what telegram, signal, kik are lol.

On my phone I text, and I have Discord and Teamspeak, no others.

Signal is basically like WhatsApp and is text messaging and voice chat on phones but with end to end encryption and so it's secure. Except it's FOSS.

Telegram is an alternative and is open source but is less secure.  Kik is a proprietary app which serves a similar purpose.

26 minutes ago, asus killer said:

if the measurement you use to compare the US to, is places were people have no rights, then i guess you're just making my point.

That wasn't what i was saying at all actually. Clearly you completely missed the point...

This doesn't apply in Australia.  Fortunately Australian law forbids EULA and consumer contracts (even business) that ban you from taking legal action.   In fact not only would the judicial system allow you to sue them but they would lose the first part of the whatever case was brought against them for that contract alone.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Signal is basically like WhatsApp and is text messaging and voice chat on phones but with end to end encryption and so it's secure. Except it's FOSS.

Telegram is an alternative and is open source but is less secure.  Kik is a proprietary app which serves a similar purpose.

telegram is as secure except for no end to end by default, you need to use 'secret chat' for end to end

but telegram actually has a good UI, is used by people, iOS support, super lightweight, and small username support

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

telegram is as secure except for no end to end by default, you need to use 'secret chat' for end to end

Telegram uses weaker encryption which isn't as well tested.

Just now, themctipers said:

but telegram actually has a good UI, is used by people, iOS support

Signal also supports IOS and has a good UI.

Is there any disadvantage to opting out?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

23 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Is there any disadvantage to opting out?

A Discord Staff member on Reddit said there is none and that no repurcussions would come to those who opt out.