My, Oh StoreMI!!! (How my 970 Evo became and actual stick of gum) - Help!

I recently attempted to set up StoreMI on my brand new Ryzen 2600, x470 Gigabyte Gaming W 7i-Fi , Samsung Evo 970 NVME .5TB SSD. I thought I selected the wrong drives, and attempted to cancel the setup process... It said it canceled, all hunky dory like... and I should reboot. ....and #$@$!#:

I have never booted my computer again with my Evo 970. I have tried reinstalling the OS, on every HDD I have (about 6 different ones - including a vinyl record, and an actual stick of gum). The BIOS sees the SSD, but you can't boot to it in Windows. I couldn't install Windows on ANY of my drives, including the ones that had nothing to do with the (cancelled) storemi setup. Both my RAIDS are Fu####ed. I finally pulled everything out and got Windows installed on an old HDD, and the BIOS sees my 970 Evo, but Windows Disk Manager can't... It's a brick ever since it touched StoreMI

This is so frustrating.... Any help or ideas are welcome.

Try resetting your motherboard by removing the CMOS battery, then check again if the drive is visible in Windows. StoreMI shouldn't be able to completely brick your drive, so if that is what happened you should contact AMD or Gigabyte support to ask for a refund or at the very least instructions on how to fix the issue.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, MarCfromDC said:

I recently attempted to set up StoreMI on my brand new Ryzen 2600, x470 Gigabyte Gaming W 7i-Fi , Samsung Evo 970 NVME .5TB SSD. I thought I selected the wrong drives, and attempted to cancel the setup process... It said it canceled, all hunky dory like... and I should reboot. ....and #$@$!#:

I have never booted my computer again with my Evo 970. I have tried reinstalling the OS, on every HDD I have (about 6 different ones - including a vinyl record, and an actual stick of gum). The BIOS sees the SSD, but you can't boot to it in Windows. I couldn't install Windows on ANY of my drives, including the ones that had nothing to do with the (cancelled) storemi setup. Both my RAIDS are Fu####ed. I finally pulled everything out and got Windows installed on an old HDD, and the BIOS sees my 970 Evo, but Windows Disk Manager can't... It's a brick ever since it touched StoreMI

This is so frustrating.... Any help or ideas are welcome.

can you open up disk partition from the command prompt?

You didn't read the StoreMI manual, did you?

https://www.amd.com/system/files/2018-04/AMD-StoreMI-Users-Guide.pdf

It states, and I quote:

The software supports up to 256GB fast tier capacity. Any SSD device with an operating system  installed must have the operating system migrated to the conventional hard disk before the  StoreMI drive can be created.

So 1. your SSD is too big and 2. you're not supposed to boot from the SSD when creating a StoreMI volume.

You'll have to completely wipe the SSD from a bootable Linux or something.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

Try resetting your motherboard by removing the CMOS battery, then check again if the drive is visible in Windows. StoreMI shouldn't be able to completely brick your drive, so if that is what happened you should contact AMD or Gigabyte support to ask for a refund or at the very least instructions on how to fix the issue.

Hi Sauron, Thanks for your help! (I always felt like the flaming eye in the sky didn't care about me...). ?

I tried resetting the CMOS a few more times, and I have booted into yet another windows install to attempt to at least reformat this poor girl (the 970 Evo): Now I can sort of see it in this installation of windows, where I couldn't at all before. Here are screen shots of Disk Manager. Unfortunately it is showing "0" for: "Capacity" "Allocated" and "reserved". I have tried to convert it to a different type of disk. etc. etc., and nothing works. Clearly the OS and BIOS know the drive is there, and what it is, but cannot reformat it..... I'm going to bug AMD first, then Gigabyte, then Samsung to hopefully resolve this quickly. I don't feel like it is fair though... I feel like AMD screwed the pooch on this one, but I can't substantiate that yet. 

StoreMI Disappearing Magic 1.png

StoreMI Disappearing Magic 2.png

StoreMI Disappearing Magic 3.png

1 hour ago, MarCfromDC said:

Unfortunately it is showing "0" for: "Capacity" "Allocated" and "reserved". I have tried to convert it to a different type of disk. etc. etc., and nothing works

That's not a big deal, if storeMI broke the partition table this sort of behaviour is expected. Try using a dedicated tool like gparted to assign the drive a new partition table and see if that fixes the issue.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i agree with @Sauron

either use dedicated software if you dont know how to clean and format a drive on command prompt.

Yaaay! Thanks buddies! I had to try three different tools, but finally a paid version of Macrium allowed me to repartition it, only after I had removed all other drives from the system, except the HDD for boot and the NVME drive that I was repartitioning. It worked! Thanks again!

1 hour ago, MarCfromDC said:

Yaaay! Thanks buddies! I had to try three different tools, but finally a paid version of Macrium allowed me to repartition it, only after I had removed all other drives from the system, except the HDD for boot and the NVME drive that I was repartitioning. It worked! Thanks again!

macrium reflect? so you deleted the drive then mirrored onto the nvme?