Mom's office pc

Flyguygamer

My mom wants to replace her 8 or so year old office pc. She is a REALLY HEAVY multitasker. Does a lot of vm and sever work. We want to buy from amazon only because of prime free shipping. Max budget $400 less if possible. I have a windows copy ,kb, mouse, and monitor. Here is what I have now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2w99s

*edit* The motherboard must be matx and have on board video. I know fx cpu's dont have an Igpu. The MOBO must have a graphics chip.

My mom wants to replace her 8 or so year old office pc. She is a REALLY HEAVY multitasker. Does a lot of vm and sever work. We want to buy from amazon only because of prime free shipping. Max budget $400 less if possible. I have a windows copy ,kb, mouse, and monitor. Here is what I have now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2w99s

*edit* The motherboard must be matx and have on board video. I know fx cpu's dont have an Igpu. The MOBO must have a graphics chip.

Get dual channel memory.

looks good to me

all i would do is add a gt 610 or just any other low power graphics card to this 

My setup

CPU i7 4770K 4.8 ghz 1.4V Motherboard MSI G-45z87 RAM 32gb 1600mhz hyperx ram GPU 3x Gtx 780ti Windforce GHZ edition Case NZXT Phantom 820 Storage 64gb SSD and a 500GB HDD PSU corsair ax1200i Display(s) 3x Acer S231HL Cooling h105 8 corsair af 120

You need a gpu and I wouldn't run the 8320 off of a matx mobo. 

It would help to know what kind of vm's and type of multitasking she's doing. Depending on the details, what you're asking for might not be doable with $400.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

looks good to me

all i would do is add a gt 610 or just any other low power graphics card to this 

Don't need a gpu, the mobo has a built in chip.

You need a gpu and I wouldn't run the 8320 off of a matx mobo. 

It would help to know what kind of vm's and type of multitasking she's doing. Depending on the details, what you're asking for might not be doable with $400.

Don't need a gpu, that mobo has a built in chip. Why not an 8320 off matx. She won't overclock. For the kind of work she does and amd 8 core or intel I5 and 8 gb ram.

Don't need a gpu, that mobo has a built in chip. Why not an 8320 off matx. She won't overclock. For the kind of work she does and amd 8 core or intel I5 and 8 gb ram.

Matx AM3+ mobos aren't that well built and I would avoid using one for a fx 8 core if possible.

You didn't really give any more information regarding what type of vm's she's running.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard:  MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard  ($72.22 @ Amazon)
Memory:  Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Case:  Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.24 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive:  Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($20.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $372.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 00:04 EST-0500)

Quote me to get a reply!

Matx AM3+ mobos aren't that well built and I would avoid using one for a fx 8 core if possible.

You didn't really give any more information regarding what type of vm's she's running.

I am okay to go atx if the motherboard has an onboard video chip or a cheap gpu is added. I don't know exactly what she does. She used her bosses pc which is an I5 and said she loved it. The amd 8 core is about the same as an i5 but is a lot cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard:  MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard  ($72.22 @ Amazon)

Memory:  Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($64.99 @ Amazon)

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Case:  Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.24 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive:  Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($20.97 @ Amazon)

Total: $372.39

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 00:04 EST-0500)

I need an amd 8 core or intel I5. An apu doesn't have enough power.

*edit* An antec basiq 350 watt is enough but cheaper.

I am okay to go atx if the motherboard has an onboard video chip or a cheap gpu is added. I don't know exactly what she does. She used her bosses pc which is an I5 and said she loved it. The amd 8 core is about the same as an i5 but is a lot cheaper.

You should probably ask her how many and what type of VM's she runs as well as what type of multitasking. 

You should probably ask her how many and what type of VM's she runs as well as what type of multitasking. 

For multitasking she has quick books, time matters, chrome, ie with 25+ tabs open, word, excel. powerpoint, and outlook all pretty much at once.

Are you sure you mother isn't confusing the speed of the i5 with an SSD?

Quote me to get a reply!

This is as good as your going to get. Don't put an 8320/8350 on matx. If you really want matx you have to either go with the apu option, get a 6300/6350 or raise the budget and get an i5.

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard:  MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  Galaxy GeForce GT 610 1GB Video Card  ($27.98 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Gigabyte GZ-F5HEB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($21.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Microcenter) 
Total: $396.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 00:15 EST-0500)

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

Are you sure you mother isn't confusing the speed of the i5 with an SSD?

An ssd isn't needed. Her bosses pc is a $500 hp. No ssd.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

This is as good as your going to get. Don't put an 8320/8350 on matx. If you really want matx you have to either go with the apu option, get a 6300/6350 or raise the budget and get an i5.

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard:  MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  Galaxy GeForce GT 610 1GB Video Card  ($27.98 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Gigabyte GZ-F5HEB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($21.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Microcenter) 
Total: $396.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 00:15 EST-0500)

Not bad. She only wants to buy from amazon.

You should go with an AMD A6 or A8. Don't get a GT 610. That thing is literally for computers without onboard graphics. (With an APU you already have a pretty decent GPU.)

You could browse eBay to see if you can find anything really cheap.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

You should go with an AMD A6 or A8. Don't get a GT 610. That thing is literally for computers without onboard graphics. (With an APU you already have a pretty decent GPU.)

Graphics are nothing. She is using 1 low res old monitor.

Too expensive. Must be under $400.

How much storage does she need?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Graphics are nothing. She is using 1 low res old monitor.

So.. Why not get like a $30 Core 2 Duo board and CPU on eBay? Save a ton of money?

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

$200 Volvo 245

So.. Why not get like a $30 Core 2 Duo board and CPU on eBay? Save a ton of money?

She is a REALLY HEAVY multitasker.

She is a REALLY HEAVY multitasker.

So get a shitload of RAM and overclock the CPU.

$200 Volvo 245