Even Apple doesn't care about the iPhone Xs...

nicklmg
15 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

At this point LTT “reviews” are just performance art to see how youtube stats react. Please don’t take them at face value. 

I think he’s actually a big sucker for iPhone and apple watch in real life (plenty of evidence in other videos), because, of course he is. But that sweet sweet 15yo angry nerd street cred...actually they all are subconsciously encouraged to be “dumb” about anything Apple...can’t count how many times they said really jaw droppingly dumb stuff during WAN shows...and of course Linus needs his hands on the lastest GPUs but god forbid he keeps his personal family iphone hardware updated...he’s like always a couple of versions behind so he can be complain-y about it...typical pre-mobile_revolution-nerd bias...mobiles ain’t real stuff (I like that “Samsung software support sucks” was like an off hand no biggie comment in the review) and tablets barely exist...granted, all the way to the bank...so, good for him. Sad for all the corrupted young minds, but hopefully they’ll go past their “apple sux” phase growing up...

Can confirm. Used to be an edgy "apple sux" nerd growing up, influenced partially by misleading reviews such as Linus's. As I grew up, I grew out of that phase. I realized that there's more to life than rooting/modding the hell out of everything and sometimes you just want to sit back and enjoy life without distractions in your way. Apple lets me do that.

I'm now an engineer and strive to make products that follow the same design language Apple has followed for so long. It's beautiful.

17 minutes ago, tusing said:

Can confirm. Used to be an edgy "apple sux" nerd growing up, influenced partially by misleading reviews such as Linus's. As I grew up, I grew out of that phase. I realized that there's more to life than rooting/modding the hell out of everything and sometimes you just want to sit back and enjoy life without distractions in your way. Apple lets me do that.

I'm now an engineer and strive to make products that follow the same design language Apple has followed for so long. It's beautiful.

Their products have their place, I don't mind their products, I just can't justify the products threw costs of purchase and repair (if needed).

What I do hate about Apple is Apple it self as a company they do suck Apple sucks hard.

The first few minutes of this video shows how easy it is to void your warranty (basically) with literally any device and not just Apple. So why go to the company that wants to quite literally scam you out of more money on a over priced product as it is?

There were a lot of mistakes in Linus's review, like the dual SIM support and photos, etc. But honestly I don't have the time nor patience to indulge in a flame war with die hard haters, so I'll point out a response video to Linus's extremely odd review.

@nicklmg @LinusTech

To be clear, there are fair criticisms like some like lack of big screen optimization in software, lack of fast charging, and an extremely high price, but stupid shit like the notch (when there actual use for it), large bezels (?), etc seems baffling

51 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Then claiming gobs of space on phones? 64GB is a joke if you want to move media over to your device... Therefore you are forced to buy the 256 or 512 storage and pay at least $210 more and over $100 more than the cost of a 256GB card.

The trend seems to be going to 128GB of storage as the baseline, as on the Note9 and Mate20

At that point, I don't think an SD card is all that necessary. It's just going to be relegated as a "nice to have" thing. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The trend seems to be going to 128GB of storage as the baseline, as on the Note9 and Mate20

At that point, I don't think an SD card is all that necessary. It's just going to be relegated as a "nice to have" thing. 

I do agree but the problem is the iPhone Xs has 64 as a base. Anything with 64GB or less should have a SD card in it. 128GB is enough that one shouldn't ever have a issue with running out of space (and I mean ever).

I'm still confused as to why Apple even kept the 64GB in their phones this time... They can't compare to the S9 in any way for that front since it has expandable memory.

Equally I don't understand why it also only has 4GB ram when it should have at least 6... (I understand it is a fine tuned machine but 6GB ram is a must imo)

19 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I do agree but the problem is the iPhone Xs has 64 as a base. Anything with 64GB or less should have a SD card in it. 128GB is enough that one shouldn't ever have a issue with running out of space (and I mean ever).

I'm still confused as to why Apple even kept the 64GB in their phones this time... They can't compare to the S9 in any way for that front since it has expandable memory.

Equally I don't understand why it also only has 4GB ram when it should have at least 6... (I understand it is a fine tuned machine but 6GB ram is a must imo)

The same reason as the Pixel 3? Pushing cloud storage? 

4GB is alright for iOS. 6GB would've been nice but I've never heard of anyone complain about performance for the past few years minus #Batterygate

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

fpt also uploaded a video that is semi addressing Linus here

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

45 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Equally I don't understand why it also only has 4GB ram when it should have at least 6...

iOS is quite good in memory management. My iPad only has 2GB memory and yet it never felt slow even during split screen multitasking or switching between multiple apps.

D6135C3D-7D42-4261-8B28-678EB07B7C2D.thumb.png.ccdbc17889c40a6bde6a51956bc6a9ce.png

Though I think the credit goes to iOS 12 for fixing the memory hogging processes in iOS 11. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

There were a lot of mistakes in Linus's review, like the dual SIM support and photos, etc. But honestly I don't have the time nor patience to indulge in a flame war with die hard haters, so I'll point out a response video to Linus's extremely odd review.

Spoiler

@nicklmg @LinusTech

To be clear, there are fair criticisms like some like lack of big screen optimization in software, lack of fast charging, and an extremely high price, but stupid shit like the notch (when there actual use for it), large bezels (?), etc seems baffling

Tbh accusing anyone with a differing opinion a "die hard hater" is kinda flame bait, just IMO.

That aside the notch is as open for criticism as anything else, I didn't take Linus' video as a review either, more as their personal take on Apple's offering compared to other flagship phones. I'd still take the LTT video over some extremely biased pro-Apple youtuber that only makes Apple videos who is nitpicking over what is mostly an opinion video.

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

My iPad only has 2GB

Notices upcoming iPad event in October*

owo

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'd still take the LTT video over some extremely biased pro-Apple youtuber that only makes Apple videos who is nitpicking over what is mostly an opinion video.

If you are referring to Rene Ritchie here, he isn't being biased in his response video, he is being honest. Unlike Linus in this context. As for him being "nitpicky" Linus was the definition of nitpicky in his "opinion" video.

Also btw, if someones opinion is unfounded and dare I say it, wrong (there are such things as wrong opinions), you should call them out on it. Someone having an opinion does not entitle them to a shield from scrutiny. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

owo

I’d probably replace my iPad maybe for boards review which is four years from now. This 6th gen 128 GB storage iPad that works with the Apple Pencil is enough for my needs. And since it’s an iOS device, it will receive updates for more than three years. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Someone having an opinion does not entitle them to a shield from scrutiny. 

When a lot of people in this forum activate their PCMR/Android echo chamber when the topic is Apple especially when it’s positive. 

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

The first few minutes of this video shows how easy it is to void your warranty (basically) with literally any device and not just Apple. So why go to the company that wants to quite literally scam you out of more money on a over priced product as it is?

I can’t speak for them, I can only speak for myself and my experience with Apple’s customer support has been fairly positive up till now. I have had three issues - a 2011 iMac with screen problems, an iPhone 6s+ with a dead motherboard, and an Apple Watch with chipping problems over the years. Apple replaced them all right off the bat. 

As for costing more, I find that my Apple products have more than paid for themselves in the form of fewer problems and greater productivity overall. So for me at least, they are far from being overpriced for the utility they afford me. 

I realise all this is anecdotal, but there is a genuine reason why so many of us are ardent Apple users year after year. It’s not because we are sheep, unless you count being loyal to a great user experience as being a sheep, then yeah, call me one and I will proudly wear that badge with pride. 

(Does Linus really believe apps in the share sheet are picked by apple? Devs just need to support it) 

(Not even a mention of iOS12 Shortcuts i.e. the most power_user-y thing in a phone in the history of everything? Are we talking smartphones or glorified cameras? I know it’s an iOS feature and not specific to the XS per se, but c’mon...you can’t take the OS out of the equation if you are doing a cross-platform comparison/buying_guide...)

(You people know the “troll factor”/drama/controversy in this particular video is intentional right? LTT, trolling/shocking all the way to bank...fine, welcome to the Paul bros club...and to think Linus last month once said some holier-than-thou stuff like “I don’t want to ride/amplify big media events” when new iphones launched...sure, just create your own event with 10% information 40% shock value and 50% Samsung ad the next month...)

Some great thoughts from Linus, but as usually have to disagree on one point. 

I don't like Phablets. At all. 

I want something that can fit in my pocket and I can take running, and I just can't think of doing that with something larger than an X - an X is big enough I feel. Hence I don't need a back button etc. 

Also for the SIM cards, I believe it has an e-SIM that can be activate (Keyword - can). It's the Chinese and Indian market phones that I believe get the dual sims. 

With also the Keynotes, they try and copy what Jobs did. Jobs was original and fresh - and thats what appealed. No style that can be copied. My advice is to be bold, be original again and be fresh. Thats what sells. You can sell they are just trying to be like Jobs and its not great for his legacy.

Great points though, and I've never been thinking about switching to Android more than now in recent years. 

8 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

(Does Linus really believe apps in the share sheet are picked by apple? Devs just need to support it) 

(Not even a mention to iOS12 Shortcuts i.e. the most power_user-y thing in a phone in the history of everything? Are we talking smartphones or glorified camera? I know it’s an iOS feature and not specific to the XS per se, but c’mon...you can’t take the OS out of the equation if you are doing a cross-platform comparison/buying_guide...)

(You people know the “troll factor”/drama/controversy in this particular video is intentional right? LTT, trolling/shocking all the way to bank...fine, welcome to the Paul bros club...and to think Linus last month once said some holier-than-thou stuff like “I don’t want to ride/amplify big media events” when new iphones launched...sure, just create your own event with 10% information 40% shock value and 50% Samsung ad the next month...)

Linus's content on the whole has become very clickbaity. He's lost quite a bit of integrity. First it was the clickbait pictures and headlines. "It's for views," he said. "The content will stay the same." And it did - for a while. But Linus has been gravitating towards more and more clickbait - the actual content of the videos has started to mutate into the extreme and unsubstantiated controversy you see actual clickbait channels pump out.

Just the change in Linus's body language shadows this overarching change throughout the channel. He talks in almost a comedically exaggerated way. The part where he complains about the list of complaints being "too much" was obviously not a genuine reaction and completely scripted. He talks and acts in a way to stir up as much controversy as possible. Just look at any of his other recent reviews.

Who can blame Linus? This video is sitting at 1.2 million views. Journalistic integrity doesn't mean much in the face of so much cash.

Hope somebody creates an image macro with Linus uttering the words “Apple is failing to lead design trends” and below that the notch-fest of android phones after the iPhone X..

7 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Some great thoughts from Linus, but as usually have to disagree on one point. 

I don't like Phablets. At all. 

I want something that can fit in my pocket and I can take running, and I just can't think of doing that with something larger than an X - an X is big enough I feel. Hence I don't need a back button etc. 

Also for the SIM cards, I believe it has an e-SIM that can be activate (Keyword - can). It's the Chinese and Indian market phones that I believe get the dual sims. 

With also the Keynotes, they try and copy what Jobs did. Jobs was original and fresh - and thats what appealed. No style that can be copied. My advice is to be bold, be original again and be fresh. Thats what sells. You can sell they are just trying to be like Jobs and its not great for his legacy.

Great points though, and I've never been thinking about switching to Android more than now in recent years. 

I see your signature and I realize Linus never even mentioned the ecosystem advantages of going all Apple... (Windows implemented some of those in the update that ended up deleting the data of some users)

So, I personally doubt you’d be better off switching to Android..

Unless you hate getting calls, both blue and green SMSs, unified smart clipboard, camera sharing, etc from your iphone to your mac..

3 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

I see your signature and I realize Linus never even mentioned the ecosystem advantages of going all Apple... (Windows implemented some of those in the update that ended up deleting the data of some users)

So, I personally doubt you’d be better off switching to Android..

Unless you hate getting calls, both blue and green SMSs, unified smart clipboard, camera sharing, etc from your iphone to your mac..

Oh it's just new stuff in my signature. I've owned many PCs and only older Androids like the S5. There has been programs on both to allow the kind of ecosystem, but its annoying to setup. All options have their ups and downs. I just love having something that can be setup and everything is all go. 

The new Androids are just so nice to look at, especially that Huawei that was recently featured - i love the shiny back!

10 minutes ago, tusing said:

Linus's content on the whole has become very clickbaity. He's lost quite a bit of integrity. First it was the clickbait pictures and headlines. "It's for views," he said. "The content will stay the same." And it did - for a while. But Linus has been gravitating towards more and more clickbait - the actual content of the videos has started to mutate into the extreme and unsubstantiated controversy you see actual clickbait channels pump out.

Just the change in Linus's body language shadows this overarching change throughout the channel. He talks in almost a comedically exaggerated way. The part where he complains about the list of complaints being "too much" was obviously not a genuine reaction and completely scripted. He talks and acts in a way to stir up as much controversy as possible. Just look at any of his other recent reviews.

Who can blame Linus? This video is sitting at 1.2 million views. Journalistic integrity doesn't mean much in the face of so much cash.

I can take the clickbaity previews and even the exaggerated persona (scripted is a given) if it pays for all those jobs at LTT, interesting expensive gear and interesting expensive experiments. Provided actual content is correct and informative.

But as you mentioned, there’s also a problem with content sometimes...this particular video showed a (Samsung) agenda all the way thru and was ridden with sentences that made no sense..

At around 7:30 pitting the supposedly inefficient way of face unlocking the iPhone against a B-roll of a phone where LITERALLY the front camera needs to mechanically freaking pop-up HAS to be a parody, right? guys?? GUYS??? (screams from the quantum realm) 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

owo

Still keeping my 2015 Pro

On 10/17/2018 at 11:00 PM, darwin006 said:

I feel like there are a lot of contradictions in the complaints that Linus has with cell phones lately. He seems to think that Xs max is both to small and then complains that it is too big. He hates the notch but then it complains that the bezels are to big. He says the pixel 3 looks really old because of the "massive forehead and chin bars" and hates on phones that have notches.

I am just not sure if its possible to make a phone that Linus seems to indicate that he is looking for.

I don't think it's a contradiction. They *are* 2 different things. "Too big because it lacks small hand friendly gestures" and "too small because others have bigger screens in the same body size."

Or "Massive notch, but others have smaller bezels". Notch =/= bezel and screen size =/= GUI. Not contradictory.

There's one thing I don't get.

Linus mentioned that Apple isn't really leading in terms of design trends, but also a relatively slow follower in wider industry trends.

Yeah, I can sorta see that with the latter (they were kinda slow to adopt 1/2.55" sensors) but the former? Um, have you seen Android?

Motorola-P30.jpg

lg-g7-thinq-leak-black_ml.jpg

160171.jpg