Even Apple doesn't care about the iPhone Xs...

nicklmg
7 minutes ago, Qwertious said:

Typical Apple haters with the same useless comments "Apple died when Steve Jobs did" yet if he was still alive we wouldn't have any devices in the phablet size. If Apple is so shit after his death why is Apple now the most valued company in the world?

Say what you will about Steve Jobs as a person, (he seemed to be a very cruel and unlikable person) as leader you can't argue with his direction, he clearly knew what the consumer wanted and he led huge innovation in the modern technology industry. I don't think you can deny that Apple have been somewhat wayward in their direction of the company with Steve gone and the innovation that Jobs was known for bringing has slowed to a halt. They're still a successful company obviously but they're not quite leading the industry in innovation like they once were.

I find it odd that you didn't mention my biggest gripe with any iPhone for the longest time. 

Ever want to change resolution or other settings in the camera? On most other phones, there's a settings cog that directly takes you to the camera settings. On the iPhone though, you have to leave the app, open the settings app and scroll down to camera settings, then change it from there. 

Why not just put a little shortcut that directly takes you to the camera settings? And on that note, I think the swipe action is getting really long in the tooth with how many modes are present. I disliked it when Samsung moved to that interface on the S9 and I haven't liked it any more since. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, Qwertious said:

Typical Apple haters with the same useless comments "Apple died when Steve Jobs did" yet if he was still alive we wouldn't have any devices in the phablet size. If Apple is so shit after his death why is Apple now the most valued company in the world?

Why do you still many iPhones, Apple Watches & AirPods all in the wild? Must be because people are idiots and will buy Apple because so they show off. While haters and their PC is all RBG, water-cooled for looks & running the latest 9900K for that extra 5 fps.

When you buy an "expensive" Apple product you get in return

• Something that will hold its value much better compared to Android/Window product. You're $1,500 iPhone will still be sold at $1,500 a few months later, resale value: $1,300. Yes there maybe retailer promos or discount but they will still maintain a premium price. Your Android? $1,000 few months later: $800 then your resale? $500

• Unmatched product support. Got a defect or issue? Apple Store face to face no bullshit(here in Australia) and your product will be back in your hands on that day or a few days turn out. Rest of the market will have to get their phone shipped off to some repair HQ... fun.

• A premium device that is well built and does arguably looks really nice.

People with their Moto G5 or their Nokia 7 will be like oh but my does those too but only cost 500 blah blah, Just like how a Toyota Corolla does but you're not going to shit on others when they are driving a BMW when they do the exact same thing

I dont think Apple died when Steve Jobs died but I think it is slowly dying. Apple just has many truck loads of money so it will take a very long time for it to happen(if Apple doesnt stop doing what they are doing). I dont think people will continue to put up with all their anti-consumer practices. I dont think the products Apple is making have the same quality and I dont think Steve Jobs would have ever let a Mac book be produced with a touch bar, I dont think we would have a phone with a camera bump or a notches. We wouldnt have multiple phone released in one year and I really dont think there would have been an Apple watch.

34 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I don't think you can deny that Apple have been somewhat wayward in their direction of the company with Steve gone and the innovation that Jobs was known for bringing has slowed to a halt. They're still a successful company obviously but they're not quite leading the industry in innovation like they once were.

I'm not old enough to know what Apple were once but I know what they are now so it's hard for me to comment on them being industry leading in innovation or not. I don't agree with everything they do however that's why I buy what I  agree with. Touch Bar was a bad idea in its implementation and that's why I have the non Touch Bar of the MBP, Type C I agreed with and I only have 2 dongles, 1 Type C to USB, HDMI, Power for a 1 cable solution and another Type C - USB which I've lost because I don't use it. The rest of my stuff I just purchased type C cables instead. Donglegate was overblown.

No headphone jacks? I've had the Jaybird Bluebud X back from when MKBHD started recommending them since then I've got the X3s but the amount of times Ive needed to use an aux cord is less than the amount of times I've actually plugged a 3.5/lighting audio device to my iPhone. The removal of the headphone jack didn't change what I was doing so its hard to kick up a fuss about them.

31 minutes ago, darwin006 said:

I dont think Apple died when Steve Jobs died but I think it is slowly dying. Apple just has many truck loads of money so it will take a very long time for it to happen(if Apple doesnt stop doing what they are doing). I dont think people will continue to put up with all their anti-consumer practices. I dont think the products Apple is making have the same quality and I dont think Steve Jobs would have ever let a Mac book be produced with a touch bar, I dont think we would have a phone with a camera bump or a notches. We wouldnt have multiple phone released in one year and I really dont think there would have been an Apple watch.

Anti-consumer practices? I get my stuff done at the apple store because its way easier than everything else. 3.5mm headphone jack. read above. Touchbar, read above as well please.

Camera bump oh look a case perfectly fixes that issue nor was it an issue in the first place.

Notch? Overblown, I don't play videos full screen because the content gets cropped even without the notch and it provides a good place to hold the phone. Not something I think about when using the device.

Multiple phone releases in one year? I don't know what I can say about that.

Nothing wrong the AW, in fact I am noticing more and more of them, I work in hospo and deal with lots of customers and I do notice if they are wearing a smart watch or what phone they use, in fact Apple Pay is the most used mobile payment method from my experience. I notice these as I have a interest in tech

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I am not a notch fan.

The Note 9 has thin bezels, stereo sound, a headphone jack, and no notch.

Then how come you are not being vocal on camera over Apple dropping the SE from their lineup??? The SE was a great design and had the smaller form factor a lot of people (myself included) gravitate towards, and not because of small hands. It was also the only iPhone in the lineup to keep the headphone jack.

And please don't tell me that the SE is old and dated and boring - it has NO NOTCH. Every iPhone to come since has been form over function, style over features, more expensive and more difficult to fit in places where the SE could. If your argument against the SE is styling then you are just an IGNORANT HYPOCRITE for following every other tech wannabe fashionista and not speaking out. You are in a powerful position to not only voice your opinions and concerns, but highlight all the facts, so long as you don't confuse your own personal preferences with general opinion.

Maybe come January (or whenever Phil the Shill pulls his overinflated head out of Tim Cooks unlubricated ass) Apple will realize that dropping the smallest form-factor iPhone was a huge mistake. This was the entry point for many buyers, especially those sensitive to price. There's certainly no technical reason to not make a SE2 variant with the guts of the 7S, or for that matter, drop in a 512GB memory chip for those who want CAPACITY IN A SMALL SIZE!!!

Apple seems to think everybody even in developing countries has the $1500-$2000 to drop on a flagship smartphone. Apple seems to think everybody wants a dinner plate for a smartphone, when a coffee plate does the job as well. This Tim Cook guy really doesn't care about the finer details, only the money. Remember also, Jobs was still around when Apple learned their lesson with the iPad mini that ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL.

1 hour ago, Qwertious said:

If Apple is so shit after his death why is Apple now the most valued company in the world?

Marketing. Anyone can make a successful company regardless of whether the product they sell is quality. Look at Razer. Their keyboards, mice and laptops are steaming shit on a platter but they still pull in big money because they make flashy ads marketed towards entry-level PC gamers who don't yet know how to properly shop for peripherals

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

33 minutes ago, Luscious said:

whenever Phil the Shill pulls his overinflated head out of Tim Cooks unlubricated ass

6be.png

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

Marketing. Anyone can make a successful company regardless of whether the product they sell is quality. Look at Razer. Their keyboards, mice and laptops are steaming shit on a platter but they still pull in big money because they make flashy ads marketed towards entry-level PC gamers who don't yet know how to properly shop for peripherals

Can agree with marketing but I do believe apple still does sell quality.

Like how is an iPad a computer? Or desktop replacement like they say in their marketing materials but truth is that for many people an iPad is a desktop replacement. One example is my mother. Since getting her iPad 2 she has ditched her laptop entirely.

People aren’t that dumb(well some people are as always and die hard fans) that they would continually dropping their $$$ to buy shit quality products eventually they will learn they it isn’t worth it

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

This post will probably be removed, but I'll still share the reason why I unsuscribed after all this time.

I've been following Linus Tech Tips since its inception, and this video really surprised me. I understand that Linus is frustrated over the whole Mac Pro debacle, but I never thought he would take it so far as to make a review as unabashedly biased as this one.

Every single complaint Linus lists about the iPhone is unbelievably petty. The Note 9 has many frustrations of a similar magnitude - but Linus never mentions any of those. He doesn't nitpick the Note 9 anywhere near as much as he does for the iPhone. Linus used to give relatively balanced reviews, but honestly, here it looks like he's just finding things to hate. Linus's review is far more about what irritates him regarding Apple than an actual review of the phone.

The most egregious of all show that he's done basically zero research on this phone, and that the review borders on intentionally misleading:

• Entirely Incorrect
    • "No dual-SIM on this model." The iPhone XS has dual-SIM by default.
      • If Linus meant dual physical SIM, he needs to elaborate. As it is, this statement is misleading.
    • "Apple hasn't used Roman Numerals in it's naming scheme since 1994." Mac OS X, anyone?
    • Complains about back gesture, demonstrates usage incorrectly: to swipe back, all Linus has to do is swipe from the edge of the screen. He doesn't do that, all while complaining, swiping from a general area in the left side of the screen instead. I have small hands and a XS Max and this works just fine.
  • Privacy/Security
    This particularly bothers me as a security engineer. Privacy is a human right, and it's strange to see something go entirely ignored by Linus given the era we live in.
    • Linus mentions the predictive text and Siri are terrible while giving zero acknowledgement to the fact that Apple doesn't harvest data for machine learning like Google and Microsoft do. Linus knows full-well that this data is encrypted and never leaves the phone, while Google's AI and keyboard have risen to the level they are at by shamelessly harvesting typing data by default.
    • Zero mentions of the privacy/security benefits of the iPhone over just about every other phone out there, but Linus knows that Apple is leagues ahead in this area with the Secure Enclave. Apple's iOS Security Whitepaper was a landmark paper in the crypto world and the security and privacy of the iPhone and iOS remains unparalleled to this date.
    • Praises the Oppo Find X's "FaceID" while not mentioning that it's far more insecure than FaceID.
  • Design
    • Linus mentions the "massive notch" with zero acknowledgement to the fact that the XS has more sensors (and more advanced sensors) on the front than just about every other phone out there. If anything, the iPhone is the one phone you can forgive for the notch.
    • Complains about the dated design of the iPhone 6 - is this an iPhone XS review or what?
    • Complains about the dated design of the iPhone XS - "notch on the top" - since when is this design dated? Aside from Samsung, it's all the rage right now.
    • "Apple has missed participating in the 'phablet' trend" - iPhone 6 Plus was definitely phablet-sized. How does this even matter in the context of this review?
  • General:
    • "What could compel someone to upgrade from an iPhone 10?" What could compel someone to do the same for the Note 9? Who in their right mind upgrades yearly?
    • "Apple doesn't redesign or brand the XS." Why re-design a phone from scratch if it's clearly a well-loved design?

I agree with Linus's petty complaints - I share his frustrations with iOS - but what I find most frustrating is his obvious bias against Apple. There are a massive number of petty complaints anyone might have about Android, but Linus doesn't complain about them when he reviews the Note 9.

Why? Why no mention of the massive stripping of user security or privacy when using even an encrypted Android phone? Why no mention of the blazing-fast processor or UX, when this becomes a highlight feature of the Note 9? I just don't get it. He deliberately lists all of the advantages of Adnroid phones, but none of the advantages of iOS. Before the Mac Pro incident, Linus would give fair and balanced reviews to most Apple products. Since then, these reviews have been fraught with misinformation.

Combined with the click-bait headlines for higher view counts, I can only assume that the bias here is intentional. Controversial and negative videos bring in far more views than positive ones, after all.

If you can't give unbiased reviews to Apple products, just don't give them. Period. It's as simple as that.

1 hour ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

I don't know the Razer DeathAdder line of gaming mice seem to be very popular and held in high regard by most reviewers. They do clearly know what they're doing with their marketing, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Qwertious said:

Can agree with marketing but I do believe apple still does sell quality.

People aren’t that dumb(well some people are as always and die hard fans) that they would continually dropping their $$$ to buy shit quality products eventually they will learn they it isn’t worth it

Apple is quality relatively speaking. Compared to other brands they'd be the cream of the crop but for most of their products there's better out there for the money imo.

And I'd disagree. People are pretty dumb. The good majority of people buy iPhones/Macs simply for brand recognition, ease of use (even though android/windows is easier imo), or because they don't know any better. I had a friend who bought an iPhone even though he knew it was inferior spec wise simply because all his other friends had iPhones. The good majority of Apple's buyers are not discerning consumers, and so that's who they market to.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

23 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I don't know the Razer DeathAdder line of gaming mice seem to be very popular and held in high regard by most reviewers. They do clearly know what they're doing with their marketing, that's for sure.

DeathAdders are mediocre for the price imho. There's much better options, like basically any Corsair or Steelseries. Hell I use a Hiraliy F300 I bought for $20 and I like it more than the few DeathAdders I tried. My main beef is with their keyboards though. They're actually awful. The switches feel like a shitty membrane Cherry impression. And they're hella expensive too.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

You know, all this camera talk reminds me. 

My Note8 has a plenty capable camera.....but I still use my Sony a6000 + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime lens for a lot of my shots. 

Since I'm used to bokeh from fast prime lenses, seeing portrait modes from any phone makes me laugh and cringe. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, Qwertious said:

Why do you still many iPhones, Apple Watches & AirPods all in the wild? Must be because people are idiots and will buy Apple because so they show off. While haters and their PC is all RBG, water-cooled for looks & running the latest 9900K for that extra 5 fps.

When you buy an "expensive" Apple product you get in return

• Something that will hold its value much better compared to Android/Window product. You're $1,500 iPhone will still be sold at $1,500 a few months later, resale value: $1,300. Yes there maybe retailer promos or discount but they will still maintain a premium price. Your Android? $1,000 few months later: $800 then your resale? $500

•  Unmatched product support. Got a defect or issue? Apple Store face to face no bullshit(here in Australia) and your product will be back in your hands on that day or a few days turn out. Rest of the market will have to get their phone shipped off to some repair HQ... fun.

• A premium device that is well built and does arguably looks really nice.

People with their Moto G5 or their Nokia 7 will be like oh but my does those too but only cost 500 blah blah, Just like how a Toyota Corolla does but you're not going to shit on others when they are driving a BMW when they do the exact same thing

People are stupid sheep, no other comment needed really... But since you seem to be a Apple fanboy... Lets have some fun ?

People are stupid they flock like sheep, someone sees someone they idolize carrying a iPhone Dummy they want to run out and buy the same iPhone Dummy even if it costs $10,000.

The S7 and the 6s are released the same time for the same price basically. Also a $1200 S8 will still have good value after 1 year like your iPhone, values change base on market needs, demands, and new models coming out. If they cram a 1080 Ti into a iPhone next year with a Intel i7, guess what? Your phone is worth dirt. This is why you can buy a iPhone 8 for 60% of MRSP (no joke you can sick them up newish for 240 less retail), and the S8 is about the name range with slightly worst market value 1 model year later. Buying top tier phones are a worst financial investment than buying a luxury car.

???? NO! Not here where I live anyways... I hate the genius bar... Here they are more like idiots than geniuses, I had to stand in a line for a family member to get their device looked at, that took 20 minutes and they themselves had to wait 2 hours after 1 hour of waiting to be called, just to be told not fixing it but give us the same amount of money as you paid and we will give you a new(ish) one.

???? NO! Once again... I wouldn't trust a iPhone to fall even from my waist let alone elbow height w/o smashing its screen to pieces... Their the most frail over priced device going... Theres a reason why you HAVE to buy something that is twice its weight and thickness to protect it... 

Moto is garbage now, it's been well known for a while... I got lucky with my Moto gen 2, same with Nokia tho they are getting better and not worst. Also please don't compare Toys to BMW morons... I know where you are going with it but truth is if there where as many BMW drivers as there are top tier phone users all other manufactures would have gone bankrupt. That's the point, too many people are filled up with useless BS on how you have to buy this or that instead of hey if you can't afford a Apple buy this instead because it does basically the same thing for 1/3 the price.

4 hours ago, abazigal said:

At that price point, you are really paying for “niceness” for an iOS device. If you gauge an iPhone based solely on “spec per dollar”, then of course it’s going to lose every time. 

What you are getting are the more intangible benefits. From better build quality, to long-term software support, to access to the Apple ecosystem, to Apple’s vision of what a mobile computing device ought to look like. I can’t quantify these benefits, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist, and the important point is that enough people care about them that they are willing to pay a premium for them. 

People don’t choose what product to use based solely on price and specs. This is what happens when you try applying a “build your own PC” mentality to a company like Apple. When you aren’t willing to take the effort to properly understand how a company like Apple thinks and works, then of course you will get them wrong every single time. And then you wonder why they continue to be so so very successful year after year in spite of all the criticism lumped on them. 

Not just spec per dollar, but value per $ (this is what I said after all) a iOS can't be worth hundreds of dollars now can it? That's why it makes no sense even with the long term support which seriously after 2 years is up who's going to be using the iPhone # when the new iPhone # can be had for $50 and another ridiculously high 2 yr plan, but HEY it's only $50 for the new phone...

I can't justify the base cost of my own computer that will last me 5 years for a mobile device for 2, if I was going to do I'd rebuild my computer every 2 years instead. As for built quality, I trust a S8/S9 falling more than a iPhone, hell I trust my cheaper Stylo 4 Plus (because it has fallen from high heights)...

You are right about one thing, they don't go based on price or specs, most people are too dumb to do so. They see $0 for a new iPhone, a new Sammy, or a Google Pixel XXX Edition and they run in saying this:

eFfmdb3.jpg

I understand how Apple thinks and works, they over charge on a product because they hand picked perfectly functional parts with their OS and the rest of the units parts, or in other words a far bigger Alienware (before Dell bought them) with a custom OS. This is why they have a strict sourcing policy and all that. I'm fine with that, what I'm not fine with is everyone assuming they are perfect which is so far from the truth it is a total lie. Apple wouldn't be so successful if people where smart enough to know what they do on a daily bases can be done on a $350 phone w/o breaking a sweat...

I was looking at a 6s for Pogo AR+ but if I do get a phone it won't be Apple because their used products still have the Apple tax for something with a smaller battery and a massive hassle on getting it fixed? Psh nope.

3 hours ago, Qwertious said:

3.5mm headphone jack. read above.

I shouldn't have a dildo hanging off my phone for a headphone jack... Just saying.

55 minutes ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

DeathAdders are mediocre for the price imho. There's much better options, like basically any Corsair or Steelseries. Hell I use a Hiraliy F300 I bought for $20 and I like it more than the few DeathAdders I tried. My main beef is with their keyboards though. They're actually awful. The switches feel like a shitty membrane Cherry impression. And they're hella expensive too.

Fair enough, I don't have firsthand experience with Razer products personally, I use a Goliathus mouse pad but I'm not ever sure if it's genuine to be honest. I'm using Logitech products, I'm using the Logitech Hyperion Fury G402 and G430 headphones, keyboard is generic at the moment. No complaints.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Fair enough, I don't have firsthand experience with Razer products personally, I use a Goliathus mouse pad but I'm not ever sure if it's genuine to be honest. I'm using Logitech products, I'm using the Logitech Hyperion Fury G402 and G430 headphones, keyboard is generic at the moment. No complaints.

I use a random mousepad I stole from a friend lol. My mouse is a Hiraliy F300, keyboard is a Redragon K552, headphones are Logitech G930s and Sennheiser HD 598 CS. I'm loving it

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

35 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

People are stupid they flock like sheep, someone sees someone they idolize carrying a iPhone Dummy they want to run out and buy the same iPhone Dummy even if it costs $10,000.

Did someone say Beats by Dre?...And wait didn't Apple buy them too? It's too perfect.

To be fair, I think Iovine and Dre were very clever in their marketing of Beats and I think that's why many enthusiasts don't like their products. They always had more of a focus on marketing than audio quality, regardless of what the founders say. Credit where credit is due however and they made a hugely recognisable brand in a relatively short amount of time.

2 minutes ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

I use a random mousepad I stole from a friend lol. My mouse is a Hiraliy F300, keyboard is a Redragon K552, headphones are Logitech G930s and Sennheiser HD 598 CS. I'm loving it

Firstly this forum does not endorse stealing, I'll perma-ban you ? (not even a mod but whatever). Second you come into the forum trying to sell us on fast food better watch yourself buddy. ?

Spoiler

image.png.31f0ce14f2a594c5646eb36db9cbfe7b.png

All jokes aside, I'm not familiar with a few of those brands but it's good that you're enjoying using them.

1 hour ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

Apple is quality relatively speaking. Compared to other brands they'd be the cream of the crop but for most of their products there's better out there for the money imo.

And I'd disagree. People are pretty dumb. The good majority of people buy iPhones/Macs simply for brand recognition, ease of use (even though android/windows is easier imo), or because they don't know any better. I had a friend who bought an iPhone even though he knew it was inferior spec wise simply because all his other friends had iPhones. The good majority of Apple's buyers are not discerning consumers, and so that's who they market to.

Yes there is definitely a premium on top of their products amen definitely there are a lot more value products out there but Apple doesn’t really fit into those product segments. However the SE/5C/Xr does change our views on the stance of the company especially with the “new” iPad. Apple does seem to be expanding from the top premium products to the lower middle high end range.

Inferior spec in what regards?

Smaller battery capacity in iPhones but they’ve always maintained great battery life

Worse cellular services? That is true I can agree from what I’ve seen but I don’t have anything to compare off of but speed wise it is not an issue at all. I’m using my phone to watch videos, browse the web and not downloading big files. I understand for many people that may be an issue but for lots it is not an issue apart from reception which I can’t comment on.

Inferior screen resolution? Yes, not wrong howver I’ve not heard anyone complain about pixely or unsharp displays apart from the net. 

Ease of use is subjective. I’ve had less request for help when I switched my family over.

Dont know any better. Yes and no 

since switching my family to Apple. There has been no talk or mention of wanting to switch back. But yes people will obviously prefer what they have used before. They have no reasons to switch away which which goes with your last point. However apple does have many tech savvy people on their side even when they are marketed to your average Joe.

42 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

People are stupid sheep, no other comment needed really... But since you seem to be a Apple fanboy... Lets have some fun ?

The S7 and the 6s are released the same time for the same price basically. Also a $1200 S8 will still have good value after 1 year like your iPhone, values change base on market needs, demands, and new models coming out. If they cram a 1080 Ti into a iPhone next year with a Intel i7, guess what? Your phone is worth dirt. This is why you can buy a iPhone 8 for 60% of MRSP (no joke you can sick them up newish for 240 less retail), and the S8 is about the name range with slightly worst market value 1 model year later. Buying top tier phones are a worst financial investment than buying a luxury car.

???? NO! Not here where I live anyways... I hate the genius bar... Here they are more like idiots than geniuses, I had to stand in a line for a family member to get their device looked at, that took 20 minutes and they themselves had to wait 2 hours after 1 hour of waiting to be called, just to be told not fixing it but give us the same amount of money as you paid and we will give you a new(ish) one.

???? NO! Once again... I wouldn't trust a iPhone to fall even from my waist let alone elbow height w/o smashing its screen to pieces... Their the most frail over priced device going... Theres a reason why you HAVE to buy something that is twice its weight and thickness to protect it... 

Moto is garbage now, it's been well known for a while... I got lucky with my Moto gen 2, same with Nokia tho they are getting better and not worst. Also please don't compare Toys to BMW morons... I know where you are going with it but truth is if there where as many BMW drivers as there are top tier phone users all other manufactures would have gone bankrupt. That's the point, too many people are filled up with useless BS on how you have to buy this or that instead of hey if you can't afford a Apple buy this instead because it does basically the same thing for 1/3 the price.

Not just spec per dollar, but value per $ (this is what I said after all) a iOS can't be worth hundreds of dollars now can it? That's why it makes no sense even with the long term support which seriously after 2 years is up who's going to be using the iPhone # when the new iPhone # can be had for $50 and another ridiculously high 2 yr plan, but HEY it's only $50 for the new phone...

I can't justify the base cost of my own computer that will last me 5 years for a mobile device for 2, if I was going to do I'd rebuild my computer every 2 years instead. As for built quality, I trust a S8/S9 falling more than a iPhone, hell I trust my cheaper Stylo 4 Plus (because it has fallen from high heights)...

You are right about one thing, they don't go based on price or specs, most people are too dumb to do so. They see $0 for a new iPhone, a new Sammy, or a Google Pixel XXX Edition and they run in saying this:

eFfmdb3.jpg

I understand how Apple thinks and works, they over charge on a product because they hand picked perfectly functional parts with their OS and the rest of the units parts, or in other words a far bigger Alienware (before Dell bought them) with a custom OS. This is why they have a strict sourcing policy and all that. I'm fine with that, what I'm not fine with is everyone assuming they are perfect which is so far from the truth it is a total lie. Apple wouldn't be so successful if people where smart enough to know what they do on a daily bases can be done on a $350 phone w/o breaking a sweat...

I was looking at a 6s for Pogo AR+ but if I do get a phone it won't be Apple because their used products still have the Apple tax for something with a smaller battery and a massive hassle on getting it fixed? Psh nope.

I shouldn't have a dildo hanging off my phone for a headphone jack... Just saying.

Oh boy not one of these.

Sheeps, fanboy,people 10k dummy iPhone?... no comments

Worse resale value ✅

IPhone second hand market will still maintain a better resale value regardless if they release a i7 iPhone or some shit.

Genius bar people yes they are not tech savy as always and experiences may differ. We got good consumer law in Australia so for us the genius bar does what it does well. All I need to do is tell them my issue then they fix it. I have yet to have a experience with a useless genius bar member before.

Protection vs no protection? Almost most phones are now made with glass backs  but yeah apple has does have some retarded pricing with replacements and it is up to the user if they would rather go naked or go with a case. It's no one's fault that a user wants a thick and heavy case, it's all on themselves.

Not Apples fault people want to buy what they can’t afford. Useless argument

Also not Apples fault users want to upgrade after a couple of years. Are you telling them to stop improving devices so people will use their own device longer? Also useless argument

Apple Tax yea can agree but I’ve outlined why I still buy them. 

Dildo jack also yea that’s only cause judgemental people like you will probably give other users shit about it. But I do also understand 3.5mm jack debate and for lots of people I know that isn’t an issue and for a handful yes that’s why there are other alternatives.

2 hours ago, tusing said:
  • Entirely Incorrect
    • "No dual-SIM on this model." The iPhone XS has dual-SIM by default.
      • If Linus meant dual physical SIM, he needs to elaborate. As it is, this statement is misleading.
      • Only iPhone's bought in China have dual physical SIM slots - eSIM is NOT a standardized SIM card, and requires carrier support for functionality. This is fine, but is not a real dual SIM phone, since you cannot simply replace a physical SIM card. Plus, it's not even available at this time:
        • 11. eSIM will be available later this year through a software update. Use of eSIM requires a wireless service plan (which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after contract expiration). Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details. To learn more, visit https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209044.
    • "Apple hasn't used Roman Numerals in it's naming scheme since 1994." Mac OS X, anyone?
      • Fair point, however, it's been called just "MacOS" for a few years now, and technically has always been Max OS 10.x.x
    • Complains about back gesture, demonstrates usage incorrectly: to swipe back, all Linus has to do is swipe from the edge of the screen. He doesn't do that, all while complaining, swiping from a general area in the left side of the screen instead. I have small hands and a XS Max and this works just fine.
      • Another fair point, however, I'd argue that all device manufacturers absolutely #fail in the UI/UX of their OS / skin / interface. This isn't because I believe that modern phones have poorly designed interfaces (although many do) but because there are fewer choices of how a user can choose to utilize an interface, forcing people to navigate one way and one way only, rather than letting them decide what works best for them.
        • For example, I'm still a huge fan of physical buttons for ... ANYTHING. They provide tactile feedback without me having to look to make sure I pushed them, and for some use cases it's more favorable to have an always-accessible menu rather than having to risk hitting something in the app because your swipe from off screen didn't work.
  • Privacy/Security
    This particularly bothers me as a security engineer. Privacy is a human right, and it's strange to see something go entirely ignored by Linus given the era we live in.
    • Linus mentions the predictive text and Siri are terrible while giving zero acknowledgement to the fact that Apple doesn't harvest data for machine learning like Google and Microsoft do. Linus knows full-well that this data is encrypted and never leaves the phone, while Google's AI and keyboard have risen to the level they are at by shamelessly harvesting typing data by default.
    • Zero mentions of the privacy/security benefits of the iPhone over just about every other phone out there, but Linus knows that Apple is leagues ahead in this area with the Secure Enclave. Apple's iOS Security Whitepaper was a landmark paper in the crypto world and the security and privacy of the iPhone and iOS remains unparalleled to this date.
    • Praises the Oppo Find X's "FaceID" while not mentioning that it's far more insecure than FaceID.
      • All products are insecure by design if the source code is not open to review by the user. This includes every company with proprietary code of any form, as the user has no way to verify for themselves whether the code is actually secure. Closed source code is Insecure By Design™.
  • Design
    • Linus mentions the "massive notch" with zero acknowledgement to the fact that the XS has more sensors (and more advanced sensors) on the front than just about every other phone out there. If anything, the iPhone is the one phone you can forgive for the notch.
    • Complains about the dated design of the iPhone 6 - is this an iPhone XS review or what?
    • Complains about the dated design of the iPhone XS - "notch on the top" - since when is this design dated? Aside from Samsung, it's all the rage right now.
    • "Apple has missed participating in the 'phablet' trend" - iPhone 6 Plus was definitely phablet-sized. How does this even matter in the context of this review?
      • I won't touch the form factor of phones or nitpick how big a bezel is - those things are subjective to each and ever user. Actually, design itself is subjective to every user, so I won't even pull the "notches are ugly" argument. The real problem is that users are not provided with a choice on having a notch, narrow bezels, or super thin phone (at the expense of a weak battery), and instead must enjoy using what the manufacturer offers.
  • General:
    • "What could compel someone to upgrade from an iPhone 10?" What could compel someone to do the same for the Note 9? Who in their right mind upgrades yearly?
    • "Apple doesn't redesign or brand the XS." Why re-design a phone from scratch if it's clearly a well-loved design?
      • I won't argue with these points either - in fact, I'm of the mindset that consumers need to stop living in a disposable world and instead should wakeup to the number of devices we throwaway because of lack of ongoing support, a singular failed component, or because of planned obsolescence. This is where I disagree with manufacturers (and many, many ignorant consumers) however, as I believe that non-repairable throwaway products are a definition of poor design.
        • Why do people keep accepting super thin devices at the expense of using glue instead of tiny screws to hold them together? It only makes repair (or recycling) the device more difficult, just to shave 2mm off a device. We should just leave that 2mm of extra space for a bigger battery and then have easy access to make repairs or replace parts as needed.

My thoughts (not combative statements, just thoughts / counterpoints to your thoughts) are above in red. Bear in mind that there's no way to please everyone, so neither yourself or myself are any more "right" or "wrong" about the overall design of a product. People just need to realize that you can either design a "perfect" product for function OR design a "perfect" product for looks - but designing a "perfect" product for both function AND looks is nearly impossible, since looks are 100% subjective and functionality is 100% objective.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

people miss the point that the new iPhone simply doesn't need to be priced 1200$ and not come with a quick charge that you need to buy separately and not have features that its own phones have had like a headphone hack or a tough ID or even the 3D touch which they seem to have ditched, or an expandable storage, or a dual sim slot, you are simply paying high for low offerings. if there's any reason other phone companies are increasing the price is that Apple makes it a normal by pricing theirs stupidly hight. iphoneXs in India costs 2500$ btw. 

on the same subject 
i was seeing MKBHD's video where he said "yeah Apple has a 720p screen on the iphone R, but is it a bad thing? maybe, its still has the ppi" like what? that things expensive and also means youtube and Netflix only servers you 720p by default, ii really doubt he'd have said that to any other phone company if it had 720p in 2018 and costs 749$

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

48 minutes ago, Qwertious said:

Yes there is definitely a premium on top of their products amen definitely there are a lot more value products out there but Apple doesn’t really fit into those product segments. However the SE/5C/Xr does change our views on the stance of the company especially with the “new” iPad. Apple does seem to be expanding from the top premium products to the lower middle high end range.

Inferior spec in what regards?

Smaller battery capacity in iPhones but they’ve always maintained great battery life

Worse cellular services? That is true I can agree from what I’ve seen but I don’t have anything to compare off of but speed wise it is not an issue at all. I’m using my phone to watch videos, browse the web and not downloading big files. I understand for many people that may be an issue but for lots it is not an issue apart from reception which I can’t comment on.

Inferior screen resolution? Yes, not wrong howver I’ve not heard anyone complain about pixely or unsharp displays apart from the net. 

Ease of use is subjective. I’ve had less request for help when I switched my family over.

Dont know any better. Yes and no 

since switching my family to Apple. There has been no talk or mention of wanting to switch back. But yes people will obviously prefer what they have used before. They have no reasons to switch away which which goes with your last point. However apple does have many tech savvy people on their side even when they are marketed to your average Joe.

I honestly hope Apple can start making more budget oriented solutions with better performance per dollar. I want them to go back to the glory days back when they were the gold standard for home PCs and were a captain of their industry, always pushing the limit of what was possible. It's sad to see such a great company fall so far from their original intentions.

The iPhone my friend was looking at was an iPhone 7 and he was comparing it to a Galaxy S7, which had higher possible screen res, 2 more gigs of RAM, and better battery. He chose the iPhone simply because it was an iPhone. Which baffled me at the time, but to each their own I guess.

And correct, but for some odd reason the general populace seems to find general usage easier on iPhones than on Android platforms. Maybe it's just due to how ubiquitous iPhones are at this point, or maybe I'm just a hipster. Idk.

As for switching platforms, I'd tend to disagree. If I see that one platform offers significant benefits over another, fuck brand loyalty, I'll take what's best for me. If Apple suddenly dropped a new iPhone that was significantly better than every other phone on the market and reflected its price in terms of specs, I'd drop my Galaxy faster than you can say "Tim Cook is swimming in money". But maybe that's just me.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Firstly this forum does not endorse stealing, I'll perma-ban you ? (not even a mod but whatever). Second you come into the forum trying to sell us on fast food better watch yourself buddy. ?

All jokes aside, I'm not familiar with a few of those brands but it's good that you're enjoying using them.

Oh shit I better watch out ? no beef here

Fast food? This ain't it chief

And yeah I would expect lol. Hiraliy doesn't even primarily make PC stuff, and Redragon is basically just a budget peripheral alternative to stuff like Corsair.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

I don't get it.

I totally understand that a reviewer can't use a phone for 1 year and then review it. 3 weeks ye I can say that it's "OK".

I have used Android devices for 10 years before I went on iOS. I don't own any other apple products because in my country they are really expensive. But my idea for a phone any phone is to last at least 2-3 or a maximum of 5 years. I had Huawei P8 lite the moment it was out for sale, after 1 year it started to lag the screen had an yellow line, my girlfriend got the P9 Dual cameras model great phone, great pictures overall phone died after 1 year battery started to drain faster, phone started to turn off at 50% battery.

Now I have the Huawei P9 Lite as a company phone. The phone is 1 year with me and it can't even open simple apps like Outlook without lagging or giving me an error message.

For a personal phone I had the iPhone SE and it never had any issue after my 1 year usage. I upgraded to the iPhone X (I liked the big screen and no chins) and quick note here it costs as much as a car here.

But you pay for the OS more then the phone. Try using the Note 9 for 3 years or 5 years. In our company we have some leftover iPhone 4's and they still work without lagging.

But most of all you need to look in the overall cost. If you get cheap Androids you change them every year. So if i can use my 999$ iPhone for 5 years this is 5 cheap phones. 

Here you can say but they will have better specs. Yes they will but my current phone will still have dissent camera most probably will not lag and I'll have support for it.

iOS is made to fit the phone and android phones are made to fit the android OS. It's all a matter on what you prefer.

But look at the big picture and I'd like to see more open minded review like your old ones.

Regards,

Nyai

PS: I apologize for any grammar and write mistakes 

Speaking of digital assistants...at least you tried, Cortana.

Screenshot_20181017-180750_Cortana.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580