Dell R710 or R720 for network blender rendering

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
On 10/18/2018 at 7:43 AM, burntwaffles said:

I am looking at getting a refurbished dell server to use as a render machine for my blender projects.  The two choices that I am looking at is a dell R710 and R720.  A R710 can start around 300 to 400, a R720 starts at 500 to 600 depending where you look.   Is there that big of a difference between the compute power that justifies the major difference in price?  The max I am looking to spend would be around 500 to 750 for this project.

Any opinions or ideas are welcome.

The newer E5-2600 Xeons in the R720 are much better performance wise and more power efficient. The older 5600 Xeons are still fine but what I'd suggest is getting a R720 as cheap as you can then buy the specific E5-2600 Xeon you want and replace the CPU, later you can then get another one for the second socket.

I am looking at getting a refurbished dell server to use as a render machine for my blender projects.  The two choices that I am looking at is a dell R710 and R720.  A R710 can start around 300 to 400, a R720 starts at 500 to 600 depending where you look.   Is there that big of a difference between the compute power that justifies the major difference in price?  The max I am looking to spend would be around 500 to 750 for this project.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:43 AM, burntwaffles said:

The newer E5-2600 Xeons in the R720 are much better performance wise and more power efficient. The older 5600 Xeons are still fine but what I'd suggest is getting a R720 as cheap as you can then buy the specific E5-2600 Xeon you want and replace the CPU, later you can then get another one for the second socket.

Its well worth the difference, the 12th generation servers of Dell were a huge huge improvement over the 11th generation. Another minor benefit is the iDRAC7 vs iDRAC6 :) . Make sure to update to latest firmwares from the Dell support site when you get your new baby.