Winamp 6 to return in 2019, it will still whip the llama's ass

Finally, after a 5 year silence period, Belgian online radio aggregator Radionomy announced that a new version of Winamp (alongside the stable release of version 5.8 coming on 18.10.2018) is due in 2019.

“There will be a completely new version next year, with the legacy of Winamp but a more complete listening experience,” said Alexandre Saboundjian, CEO of Radionomy, the company that bought Winamp (or what remained of it) in 2014.

“You can listen to the MP3s you may have at home, but also to the cloud, to podcasts, to streaming radio stations, to a playlist you perhaps have built.”

“People want one single experience,” he concluded. “I think Winamp is the perfect player to bring that to everybody. And we want people to have it on every device.”

While Saboundjian declined to get into the specifics of which services would be part of the new Winamp or how the app would plug into, say, your Spotify playlists, your Google Music library, your Podcasts app, Audible and so on, he seemed confident that it would meet the needs he outlined. There are many conversations underway, he said, but licensing and agreements aren’t the main difficulty, and of course release is still quite a ways out. The team has focused on creating a consistent app across every platform you might want encounter mobile audio. A highly improved search will also play a role — as it ought to, when your media is all lumped into one place.

No word on whether it will retain its trademark intro upon installation — “WINAMP. It really whips the llama’s ass.”

Source: TechCrunch

I'm really happy with this announcement. Winamp has been my go-to music player for a better part of my computing history. It's simple, yet flexible in terms of functionality, and I'm pretty confident that the upcoming big update of version 6 will breathe some new life into the ol' reliable.

I'm interested to hear your guys' stories and experiences with this marvel of a music player! :)

Does this mean Napster is returning as well?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If it ties into Spotify and other things I might end up using it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Winamp never stopped being the player I use. I can't stand most other players due to them lacking features and having an interface that doesn't work the way I want to manage my music.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Does this mean Napster is returning as well?

One could wish!

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Winamp never stopped being the player I use. I can't stand most other players due to them lacking features and having an interface that doesn't work the way I want to manage my music.

Not to forget the support for just about every audio format imaginable (via plug-ins, but it's there).

been a long time since i used a a music player ever since iTunes became shit

might give it a try if it handles metadata editing without weird stuff happening in the process 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I fear that the UI will be utter bullshit, unnecessarily modern and some bullshit integration with a piece of shit service, or two.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

If I need something that play single album - I'm using Aimp. It (may) looks like Winamp but it's new, updated and has better options. For browsing my collection I'm using MusicBee. I don't need old refreshed crap made for nostalgy only. It's like releasing River Raid 2 game in 2018 - it's possible to made it 100 times better and nicer, but it's a past. And should stay in the past.

Using Foobar here :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Most people switch to streaming, or other more capable offline music playing programs.

I don't see how a music player, which used to be known back in the 90's for, what is now considered, basic feature set, in managing music files, and being able play MP3 files properly (among other audio formats) which has not been an issue for ages, is something that anyone really cares now. It used to be innovative with great features, but it's been gone for so long that we had far better replacements. And that is assuming you are sticking to offline music. Winamp, from what I can see from its announcement, doesn't even have a store to buy music.

People will get it for nostalgia, but that is all. Unless it can do something more, like have 1 program for local music and streaming music merged together... or something more than say, Foobar, or MusicBee, etc.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that Winamp, today, has nothing special over current software currently available, why go through the complicate to switch, beside nostalgia, which you'll probably end up switching back to what you were using before. Nothing that was mentioned is anything unique to a basic music player... oh sorry, I missed something.. Winamp visualization... I guess now we will have the computer power to run all of them properly at 60fps. yay?!

I remember using it back in the old days, when I still had my Pentium 3. One thing I like about winamp is the amount of customized skins.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

People will get it for nostalgia, but that is all.

There still is a crowd of people who haven't fully embraced streaming media. While I do sometimes go out of my way to put on Spotify in my car or at home, I still prefer having full control over my music without having to shell additional rubles for that (which I already had to get for said music anyhow).

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

One thing I like about winamp is the amount of customized skins.

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

My Brother had his fair bit of fun in the hayday skinning older versions of Winamp.

Bloody Nora, that is freaky! :P

I've tried dabbling with skins before, but I just couldn't find something that would fit my style.

I   used to use winamp back in the days. but have long switched to foobar or amazon music for streaming .still cool that they are coming out with a new version

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I've been using music bee and Groove music since Winamp got abandoned. I'll give it a try once its out.

Huh, I've been using YouTube and just playing playlists of music and leaving that tab in background. Also, I keep music videos around in local files and use media player classic for in the same manner as I use Youtube. I haven't seen anyone mention Youtube so do any of these programs yall have been using integrate Youtube for just audio and/or play the audio from a video file?

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Shame i use Spotify now for pretty much all my music needs. Guess this is an excuse for me to get my music library put on my PC and embrace the nostalgia lol

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

... People still use a dedicated music player?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My default music player....

Your-First-Day-With-Virtual-DJ-8-copy-12

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Should be pointed out that not everyone can actually subscribe for the popular streaming services. For example in my country:

Spotify is currently not available in your country.

Google Play Music is currently available in select territories and for select account types.

Pandora isn’t available where you are… yet.

TIDAL - not available

I want a large library, and those above have the largest libraries. So what am I supposed to do? Listen to the local radio which is top40 crap?

So, no - i'll continue pirating until there's a better option.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Missed Winamps ability to output to other file formats with EQ changes.  Made it easy for me, once upon a time, to sort and fix the odd audio file.

I'd use it again for sure.

I live in the current year, like most people, Winamp is going to have a hell of a time getting anyone to be arsed into switching when Spotify/Apple Music does 99% of what people want. Play music and download music. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

WinAMP is gonna be my main music player again soon, Clementine replaced it but I'll switch back if it is any good!

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

I just recently switched to AIMP which is basically Winamp, after using Winamp for more than a decade. Honestly, if it can do everything that I need, I will switch to it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.