Torn between Ryzen 7 1700 and Ryzen 5 2600 [Solved]

ggLoki

Which CPU is better for streaming?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which CPU is better for streaming?

I had originally planned on buying the Ryzen 7 1700 for my build, because I thought that the B350 motherboards weren't compatible with the Ryzen 2 CPUs (pcpartpicker said so). But my B350 Tomohawk shipped with the most recent bios update pre-installed and is compatible with the gen 2 CPUs out of the box.

I plan on gaming, streaming, and doing light photo and video editing.

Should I stick to the plan and get the Ryzen 7 1700, or should I sacrifice those 2 extra cores for higher clock speeds and $100 left in my account at the end of the day. The Ryzen 5 2600 is considerably less expensive and it outperforms the Ryzen 7 1700 in everything with exception of multi-threaded work. BUT, streaming...

The clock speeds can be achieved on the Ryzen 7 1700, but the Ryzen 5 2600 can't magic 2 cores and 4 threads out of thin air.

My main question is this, will streaming utilize all 8 cores and 16 threads, or would 6 and 12 be enough to get the job done?

p.s. You can see the rest of the build on my profile.

Get 1700 and overclock, this will allow you to OC to the performance of the 2600 no problem at all. I can OC my 1600x to a 2600 with no issues. Just make sure you get a board that can deal with the extra voltage and delivery through the VRMs as they will get hot very fast with any OC. I have the asus X370 gaming f and this is a very capable board.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

My build is cloned from a system that JayzTwoCents put together for a YouTube video. With 1 major difference... He opted for a 240GB SSD, a 2TB HDD and 8GB of RAM. I sacrificed half of the storage space. I opted for a 120GB SSD, a 1TB HDD and 16GB of RAM.

He has the Ryzen 7 1700 clocked at 3.9Ghz on the B350 Tomohawk with the stock cooler. I should be able to overclock it to 3.7-3.9Ghz no problem.

Oh, and, I bought the NZXT H500 instead of the S340. My RAM is also factory clocked at 2666Mhz compared to the 2400Mhz RAM in his build that he overclocked to 2800Mhz. I'm hoping to overclock mine to 3000Mhz.

If you're mostly going to be gaming & streaming, I would personally go with the 2600.
Should give you higher speeds per core, which will help with gaming, and a 6/12 should still be plenty to do both at the same time.
Also, the VRMs on a B350 board will probably have an easier time handling a 6/12 than an 8/16.

5 hours ago, Rauten said:

If you're mostly going to be gaming & streaming, I would personally go with the 2600.
Should give you higher speeds per core, which will help with gaming, and a 6/12 should still be plenty to do both at the same time.
Also, the VRMs on a B350 board will probably have an easier time handling a 6/12 than an 8/16.

Everyone says that the Ryzen 7 is better for streaming due to the extra cores.

12 hours ago, ggLoki said:

Everyone says that the Ryzen 7 is better for streaming due to the extra cores.

Better for streaming but worse for gaming.
Really my main concern is the motherboard. A B350 is gonna have a hell of a time handling an OC'd 8/16, plus you went and bought MSI B350, which are notoriously terrible.

5 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Better for streaming but worse for gaming.

only if you dont overclock.........

2600 stock cooler is awful for overclocking

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

only if you dont overclock.........

2600 stock cooler is awful for overclocking

Hrm, true that. The 1700 stock cooler is a goddamn beast (for a stock cooler). But again, the OC is gonna be kinda limited by the trainwreck that is MSI B350

The Ryzen 7 1700 is the winner by majority rule.

Ukhf1Vu.png

So, I ordered the Ryzen 7 1700.

L4YXRYV.png

I plan on overclocking it to around 3.7-3.9Ghz using the stock cooler. And I plan to overclock my RAM to 3000Mhz if I can. All that's left is to figure out a stable GPU overclock.

Full build:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (OC to 3.7-3.9Ghz)
MSI B350 Tomohawk

16GB 2666MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (OC to 3000Mhz)

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6GB (OC to ?)

1TB Seagate BarraCuda 7200RPM

120GB Kingston A400
Corsair CX 550M
NZXT H500