wireless ac adapter

TheBean

i have a archer t2u but when i connect to my 5ghz ac wifi, it shows that i ham in 802.11n mode in task manager.... WHY

do a speed test and see if the speeds are 5g level if not then go configure the router to use max through put cause on netgear you can lower the data travel on each band to a certain speed

I have a at&t gateway. i set it to use ac and n mode because there is no option for only ac mode. 

the adapter utility shows that it is in ac mode but task mnager shows n mode... WTF??

Get your own router, the ones the isp provides is always problematic. If you can get your own modem aswell would also help

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

cant replace the modem.. only the router... what is a good router that supports ddwrt under $100

Why does it matter what it says it's connected at?

Do you still get the speed you should be getting?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

i think ac mode helps with latency... im trying to run google project stream....

But again, check its actual performance.  Ideally something like iperf3 running on a wired PC and the wireless PC to check the maximum speed between the two.

It seems likely in this case the adapter utility for some reason is confusing Windows own reporting, but its not necessarily a problem if its working.  If it really bothers you there may also be an option to install the driver without the utility, to see if that changes what is reported.

Also, are you sure you mean Task Manager?  Mine doesn't mention anything about the WiFi technology at all.  I only see that if clicking on WiFi, then the SSID and choosing Properties.  Are you not on Win10?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

But again, check its actual performance.  Ideally something like iperf3 running on a wired PC and the wireless PC to check the maximum speed between the two.

It seems likely in this case the adapter utility for some reason is confusing Windows own reporting, but its not necessarily a problem if its working.  If it really bothers you there may also be an option to install the driver without the utility, to see if that changes what is reported.

Also, are you sure you mean Task Manager?  Mine doesn't mention anything about the WiFi technology at all.  I only see that if clicking on WiFi, then the SSID and choosing Properties.  Are you not on Win10?

image.png.b52877e7991a8759a1950d46bb4ee380.png