VM Ware Work Station 14 Pro GPU pass through

im planning on doing some small stuff on a Virtualized PC (windows 10 home 64 bit) how do i pass through the GPU (gt 710, main gpu is a GTX 1080ti)

Um... Im going to have to "officially" dissapoint you. According to VMWare, Workstation 14 does not support that feature... :S The closest thing you can do is enable 3D acceleration.

49 minutes ago, BloodKnight7 said:

Um... Im going to have to "officially" dissapoint you. According to VMWare, Workstation 14 does not support that feature... :S The closest thing you can do is enable 3D acceleration.

is there any vmware software that can? also doees vmware 15 support it? 

With vmware workstation you are out of luck, even in version 15 that is not supported (from what I know), but you can try doing that with ESXi (its supported for some GPUs). If you need to know how let me know. Also there are other options (not limiting yourself to vmware) like unraid. We have a big community of enthusiast that can be of help. @leadeater you are pretty knowledgeable with unraid right bro?

1 minute ago, BloodKnight7 said:

With vmware workstation you are out of luck, even in version 15 that is not supported (from what I know), but you can try doing that with ESXi (its supported for some GPUs). If you need to know how let me know. Also there are other options (not limiting yourself to vmware) like unraid. We have a big community of enthusiast that can be of help. @leadeater you are pretty knowledgeable with unraid right bro?

i would prefer to work with Vmware but should i try unraid? (if so how can i buy it without a card) 

If you want to do it through VMWare ESXi follow the steps of the next webpage https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln288103/how-to-enable-a-vmware-virtual-machine-for-gpu-pass-through?lang=en You dont have to buy anything, just get a copy of ESXi for free from the vmware site. Same with Unraid, download and use the trial.

Also, remember you can use USB keys to install these 2 operative systems. That should make your life easier for testing purposes!

4 minutes ago, BloodKnight7 said:

If you want to do it through VMWare ESXi follow the steps of the next webpage https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln288103/how-to-enable-a-vmware-virtual-machine-for-gpu-pass-through?lang=en You dont have to buy anything, just get a copy of ESXi for free from the vmware site. Same with Unraid, download and use the trial.

Also, remember you can use USB keys to install these 2 operative systems. That should make your life easier for testing purposes!

ill give it a try once i get off (school)

3 hours ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

ill give it a try once i get off (school)

If your on windows you can do passthrough with hyper-v in server 2016 or 2019. Windows desktop won't let you do it.

Otherwise linux lets you do this. Id use a different distro than unraid, fedora, or proxmox will work fine here. More options and free.

esxi will work if you want vmware, but that doesn't have great support on desktop systems often.

27 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your on windows you can do passthrough with hyper-v in server 2016 or 2019. Windows desktop won't let you do it.

Otherwise linux lets you do this. Id use a different distro than unraid, fedora, or proxmox will work fine here. More options and free.

esxi will work if you want vmware, but that doesn't have great support on desktop systems often.

will Ubuntu work?

where can i get the deb files for esxi?

8 minutes ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

where can i get the deb files for esxi?

huh? esxi is a os. Its a hypervisor that only run vms and a web interface, so you don't install anything onto it.

But for your use, why not just use a normal vm without passthrough?

well im trying to make it so just the one GPU gets used not the other and the software im using needs 1 gpu (it crashes with 2)

In terms of simplicity I would either use ESXi or Unraid... going to more complex solutions then there would be KVM and Hyper-V.... this also applies for the footprint, the first 2 arguably in "out of the box" configuration have less footprint resourcewise .

1 minute ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

well im trying to make it so just the one GPU gets used not the other and the software im using needs 1 gpu (it crashes with 2)

what software is this?

When you make a vm, the software llets you pick what real gpu the virtual one is running on.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what software is this?

When you make a vm, the software llets you pick what real gpu the virtual one is running on.

the software works with only 1 gpu and the software is from windows XP (i forgot the name of the software) 

1 minute ago, BloodKnight7 said:

In terms of simplicity I would either use ESXi or Unraid... going to more complex solutions then there would be KVM and Hyper-V.... this also applies for the footprint, the first 2 arguably in "out of the box" configuration have less footprint resourcewise .

How is hyper-v complicated? it works just like any other virtual machine software in windows. Nothing hard about it.

And unraid is kvm, just with a gui. Just about as hard as any other kvm hypervisor like proxmox. Unraid just is limited with options and storage and costs money. Works well for a home media server with a vm or two, not as a full vm server or hypervisor.

Just now, Nolanrulesroblox said:

the software works with only 1 gpu and the software is from windows XP (i forgot the name of the software) 

SHould work fine in a normal vm. No need for passthough. Just enable 3d support in the vm.

SHould work fine in a normal vm. No need for passthough. Just enable 3d support in the vm.

ok

have you tried a normal vm with vmware workstation or hyper0v?

this is gonna sound dumb but i didnt try a normal vm xD

How is hyper-v complicated? it works just like any other virtual machine software in windows. Nothing hard about it.

And unraid is kvm, just with a gui. Just about as hard as any other kvm hypervisor like proxmox. Unraid just is limited with options and storage and costs money. Works well for a home media server with a vm or two, not as a full vm server or hypervisor.

lol... thats ok mate, you are also entitled to your opinion. Have a good one. :)

do that first before messing with passthrough.

ok xD

1 minute ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

this is gonna sound dumb but i didnt try a normal vm xD

Whats the application? Im just curious at this point.