Need assistance with my plans for the house network.

BehroozDIABLO

Hi

So i have just moved into new house and i have a router downstairs, but my gaming/computer room is upstairs.

I have one ethernet connection upstairs which goes directly to the back of the router, but unfortunately i need around 6 ethernet port and at least 5 WiFi connection upstairs. The WiFi signal is kinda ok but prefer if i could have a stronger connection.

Ok so here is the question, should i get a network switch and deal with my ethernet port need that way and leave wifi as it is or should I get another router and use it as repeater and use all my devices wireless which would be less ideal or is there another better option?

Please help ?

15 minutes ago, BehroozDIABLO said:

Hi

So i have just moved into new house and i have a router downstairs, but my gaming/computer room is upstairs.

I have one ethernet connection upstairs which goes directly to the back of the router, but unfortunately i need around 6 ethernet port and at least 5 WiFi connection upstairs. The WiFi signal is kinda ok but prefer if i could have a stronger connection.

Ok so here is the question, should i get a network switch and deal with my ethernet port need that way and leave wifi as it is or should I get another router and use it as repeater and use all my devices wireless which would be less ideal or is there another better option?

Please help ?

Id get a switch and if the WiFi is so so, you can look at a Wireless Access point, OR use a router in AP mode. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

In my experience, a cheap gigabit lan/wan wifi router does the job well for a switch. Two if them "in series" will give you plenty of lan ports.

If you have the option, get yourself cat 6 or 7 cables for 10 gigabit in future.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

1 hour ago, samuel said:

In my experience, a cheap gigabit lan/wan wifi router does the job well for a switch. Two if them "in series" will give you plenty of lan ports.

If you have the option, get yourself cat 6 or 7 cables for 10 gigabit in future.

work yes but not recommended. will run into a double nat issue if not setup properly.

your best bet would to be install a switch upstairs and an AP. you can get POE switches that power an ap so you can stick it in a closet for example

11 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

What internet speed do you pay for?

I am getting 100Mbs to the router.

8 hours ago, intertan said:

work yes but not recommended. will run into a double nat issue if not setup properly.

your best bet would to be install a switch upstairs and an AP. you can get POE switches that power an ap so you can stick it in a closet for example

So your suggestion is to get a switch and connect an AP to the switch then i have both wifi and LAN at max reliability?

21 minutes ago, BehroozDIABLO said:

So your suggestion is to get a switch and connect an AP to the switch then i have both wifi and LAN at max reliability?

Its the most reliable yes.

That way you also aren't restricted by how few ports routers have and can put the AP in the optimal location for reception, rather than stuck to wherever the Switch is.

Ubiquiti have nice units that can be ceiling mounted for example.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7