2019 Samsung Note & Software Updates

zrmaxwell

Why is it that every Samsung Note device that gets launched, it comes with last years android software pre-installed? My money is on the theory that samsung wants you to upgrade your phone every year to the latest and greatest just to be on the latest android software.. It is the same with LG, Huawei, Sony, HTC... Pretty much all phone manufacturers except for Apple and Google.. and it needs to end. On the topic of the Note 10, do you think it will launch with 8.1 Oreo , or 9.0 Pie? I think it will be android 9.0 Pie and it will take a astronomical amount of time for it to get android 10.0 R (i say android R because there are no desserts that start with the letter Q that i can think of..) and android R will be out in mid to late 2019 (July or August or September of 2019 i mean) 

Do you think it is ok for Android companies like Samsung and LG etc.. to neglect their phones like that in terms of software updates? after all, software updates are what keeps a phone alive in the long run and can determine how long a device can survive for. 

1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

I'm on Android 7 and I ain't complaining.

if you care about software and security on your phone you should be complaining..

1 minute ago, zrmaxwell said:

if you care about software and security on your phone you should be complaining..

Android 7 is perfectly secure. I use 2FA and strong passwords. It's common sense with security.

hi.

1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

Android 7 is perfectly secure. I use 2FA and strong passwords. It's common sense with security.

While those methods are good to use, that does not make your phone impervious to getting hacked, and here in the digital age, that is very possible. 

It's because that's how it always was, and it won't change anytime soon. Fragmentation is a common problem in android. The issue is the customization each manufacturer places on top of the default android software, and also carrier bloatware. This won't change anytime soon. If you really want a android phone with the fastest updates, Pixel is the only phone so far.

There's a reason why Android is called "stock android" on pixel devices. Google designs both hardware and software, simultaneously, without adding any other extra customization. It's normal to complain, but you have to admit, Android is a mobile operating system designed to be customized.

By the way, its impossible to know what software Note 10 will come in. It's only October 2018, and Note 10 is expected to be released in August 2019. Way too early to determine anything about the Note 10.

-Kevin-

4 minutes ago, krkevin said:

It's because that's how it always was, and it won't change anytime soon. Fragmentation is a common problem in android. The issue is the customization each manufacturer places on top of the default android software, and also carrier bloatware. This won't change anytime soon. If you really want a android phone with the fastest updates, Pixel is the only phone so far.

There's a reason why Android is called "stock android" on pixel devices. Google designs both hardware and software, simultaneously, without adding any other extra customization. It's normal to complain, but you have to admit, Android is a mobile operating system designed to be customized.

By the way, its impossible to know what software Note 10 will come in. It's only October 2018, and Note 10 is expected to be released in August 2019. Way too early to determine anything about the Note 10.

I just hate that updates on other android phones besides Google are not faster. I wanted an android phone like a Samsung or an LG phone, but their lack of updates are what kill it for me and why i will stick with the iPhone until i grow old. I also wish other people with Samsung phones could experience the updates situation that i currently have had on my iPhone.. and i mean that in a positive way. 

9 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

I just hate that updates on other android phones besides Google are not faster. I wanted an android phone like a Samsung or an LG phone, but their lack of updates are what kill it for me and why i will stick with the iPhone until i grow old. I also wish other people with Samsung phones could experience the updates situation that i currently have had on my iPhone.. and i mean that in a positive way. 

I own a S9, and currently running Android Oreo. All non-google companies take their time on android updates, some companies release slow, and some companies release faster. Samsung is known to have one of the slowest android updates, due to its highly customized skin, TouchWiz, on top of Android. But I don't mind it.

There are so many features on the S9, that I don't need to have the latest software. There will always be minor security updates that get released as soon as possible, but Samsung was always this slow, so I got used to it.

Like I said, Android has always been like this, and I really predict it won't change any time soon. You just have to either accept that fact, or go with Pixel phones. Basically, go with non-google phones and wait for updates, or go with a google phone and get the latest updates as soon as they're released. You will get used to the slow/fast updates once you choose the right phone for you.

-Kevin-

1 minute ago, krkevin said:

I own a S9, and currently running Android Oreo. All non-google companies take their time on android updates, some companies release slow, and some companies release faster. Samsung is known to have one of the slowest android updates, due to its highly customized skin, TouchWiz, on top of Android. But I don't mind it.

There are so many features on the S9, that I don't need to have the latest software. There will always be minor security updates that get released as soon as possible, but Samsung was always this slow, so I got used to it.

Like I said, Android has always been like this, and I really predict it won't change any time soon. You just have to either accept that fact, or go with Pixel phones. Basically, go with non-google phones and wait for updates, or go with a google phone and get the latest updates as soon as they're released. You will get used to the slow updates once you choose the right phone for you.

All of that is true. I forgot to mention anything about when support for a certain phone ends.. A person who has a samsung or another android phone get updates for a certain period of time, and then they end after lets say 10 months or a year and a half at max, what the hell are they suppose to do then? Cough up money for a brand new up to date phone? What if that phone is $1K or more? I get that payment plans are a thing, but it all adds up. If that person can't do that and they have to stay with their non up to date or not updated phone, do they just deal with it or complain and hope that it changes? well, it will never change, so i guess the answer is shelling out 1000+ dollars for a phone and hope that person picks the right one..    

2 hours ago, zrmaxwell said:

All of that is true. I forgot to mention anything about when support for a certain phone ends.. A person who has a samsung or another android phone get updates for a certain period of time, and then they end after lets say 10 months or a year and a half at max, what the hell are they suppose to do then? Cough up money for a brand new up to date phone? What if that phone is $1K or more? I get that payment plans are a thing, but it all adds up. If that person can't do that and they have to stay with their non up to date or not updated phone, do they just deal with it or complain and hope that it changes? well, it will never change, so i guess the answer is shelling out 1000+ dollars for a phone and hope that person picks the right one..    

Most manufacturers do that to convince you to buy a new phone. No phone is designed to last forever, but you should expect any flagship phone to last at least 2 years. iOS and Android are vastly different, one is simple and the other is pure customization. Never expect Android to be as seamless as iOS, because they aren't the same operating system. If your this concerned about the fragmentation of Android, you're better off sticking with iOS.

-Kevin-