Why did you buy an iPhone?

LinusTech
On 10/16/2018 at 2:55 AM, super88 said:

3) Design: In my opinion apple has the best designs, they always find a way to make the phone look stunning, they also add more premium feeling using better materials

4) Camera: You can film at 4K 60 fps in a phone, when you normally need a reflex DSLR to do that

3: They use airplane waste materials..
4: Every major flagship nowdays can do the same

6: The reason people upgrade their phones is that the next ones tend to be better not that after 3 years it's absolutely unusable

5 hours ago, poochyena said:

could you explain this to me? I don't see the appeal of software updates.

When you have different phones running different versions of Android - such as my S8 running Android 8.0.0 while the Pixel 3 is running 9 out of the box - that's where I have a problem with the Android ecosystem.

Everyone is fragmented to different versions, it's not uniform like how Apple does it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Bruh.... My s7 receives updates every 3 weeks whatcha talking about

1 hour ago, R click said:

Bruh.... My s7 receives updates every 3 weeks whatcha talking about

on Verizon? My S7 edge never updated. 

I've been using iPhone 7 plus since its launch. I mostly chose an iphone because i wanted it to work when i needed it.  I work for an IT company and support both android and apple for users.  I have A LOT more issues with people using android devices then apple.  Either apps are crashing, email stopped flowing, or can't connect to wifi. 

I am with Rogers, and my plan will be expiring this year, i will most likely replace with whatever FOTM iphone is available. And since I've already invested into the apple Eco system for apps/games and those can be transferred without having to re-purchase them.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

On 10/15/2018 at 1:02 PM, LinusTech said:

So my iPhone Xs video ended up being a rant about the things that bug me about the iPhone experience. It wasn't intentional, but that's what it was.

I was kind of thinking a nice accompanying piece would be 10 GREAT Reasons you Should Buy an iPhone. I'll start with a couple:

- Apple legitimately takes end-user security seriously. They don't have a perfect track record here, but they can also be credited with creating pressure on other industry players to move in this direction.

- Device support - Batterygate notwithstanding, Apple's track record for phone support is untouchable. Show me one company that provides phone OS updates more consistently and for longer than apple.

*** I don't really want to hear from the Android owners here. I want to hear from current iPhone users - For bonus points, please list what iPhone you're currently using and why you are using that particular one ***

jailbreaking experience is much better than skinned / stock android / rooted android experience, I already know how to jailbreak and to set up everything perfectly

simple, and easy to use: actually just a grid of icons, and a multi tasking thing

looks nice, I really like the way iOS looks, and how third party apps try to stick to the iOS look instead of being it's own clusterfuck of UI (and I don't like material design too)

I prefer having a home button only instead of having a multitasking and a back button, I keep hitting the back button by accident with my hand while holding the phone and same thing goes with the multi tasking button, and using the on screen buttons will either have me accidentally click it when tapping other UI elements, or takes up too much time compared to clicking a button

great mutlitasking gesture for left handed users, such as I, especially on a plus sized phone: am able to access multi tasking naturally using my left hand, using the 3D touch gesture on my iPhone 6s+

it is much easier to access the control center on the bottom of the phone instead of having to swipe up from the top of the screen - that requires me shifting my hand from the bottom of the phone to the top so I can hit it, more chance of me dropping my phone 

dedicated mute switch

aluminium back (I hate glass back phone, as much as it feels good, one drop, is gg)

headphone jack (I need a headphone jack, funny coming from an iPhone user, but the 6s is the last generation to have a headphone jack soo..)

lightning to charge is nice, not as nice as USB C but still stupidly better than micro USB

easier to open that most glass backed android phones because no glass back, just unscrew and slowly pry open with suction cup

easy to replace the battery, if needed, although apple does have official sources to replacing your battery / the whole phone from a apple authorized place 

not to mention your security and support thing, which is a big bonus too. am somewhat paranoid sadly about my data / security (funny coming from a active windows 10 user)

the really big bonus though is the support, I hate the mentality of having to upgrade your phone every two years to stay up to date on even security / OS updates, the A9 is fast enough for what I do on my phone: Discord, Telgram, and Safari

why iPhone 6s+

- was the newest one when I was buying a new phone 

- Note 5 has shit shit battery life, I wanted a plus sized phone coming from an iPhone 4 

- Any other android phone would have a snapdragon 810 which is  hot hot hot , thermal throttling hot

- OIS, big feature for me

reasons to not upgrade:

- any iPhone after the 6s doesn't have the headphone jack

- any iPhone after the 7 has a glass back

- android is not iOS, and I really do not want to be bothered on fixing android so that it feels and looks like iOS 

- A9 is fast enough for me. I don't game on my phone, just send messages and watch youtube

- OLED is terrible for long term usage; burnin

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

18 hours ago, poochyena said:

Personally, I like my phone getting new functionality and keeping fresh. Sure, sometimes they make changes that I'm not thrilled with but for the most part it's really exciting to me.

Current : iPhone 7 Plus 128gb (bought last month second hand for £350, immaculate). Bought because I take a lot of photos and video

Previous (smart) phones: (2003 HTC Himalaya/O2 XDA II, 2008 Samsung Omnia 2, 2009 HTC Wildfire S, 2012 Samung Note 2, 2015 Samsung Note 4 + iPhone 5s as a toy, 2017 iPhone 6S+ 64gb)

Also am 'supporting' an LG G3, Xiaomi Note 4 which I have bought for family members. I've bought most of my phones heavily discounted or second hand. 

Reason for moving to iOS: the infamous Note 4 emmc failure that left me disgusted. The Note 4 was a fantastic device and I wouldn't have got rid of it for years otherwise. Was going to buy a Xiaomi (amazing value for money, and I can tweak the OS), but was comfortable with iOS's quirks - pros and cons from having used the 5s at the same time as the Note. I'd implemented workarounds for almost everything I needed to do by using cloud services and scripts on my desktop PC. So I found a cheap 6S+ and jumped on it. 

2 years into using the iPhone as the primary it's main benefits are :

* the updates don't tend to break things (although iOS 11 was not great at first for battery issues. ).

* the apps are always slick 

* the camera, with a separate app like Camera+ is excellent. I'm a hobbyist photographer and whilst I miss my DSLR if I'm out and about and don't have it, it's amazing what you can achieve with the iPhone camera. 

* apple supporting the devices for so long. The 5S is still going as a backup and works great with ios12. The 6S+, well, I hardly see any difference between the 7 and it to be honest, but I needed to give it to my diabetic dad to use with his continuous glucose monitor (rather than buying him a cheap android phone which he might have struggled with, the iPhone is simple). Additional benefit was the Apple Watch can also be used to monitor his blood sugar - perfect and life changing solution.

and what I miss

* the much easier ability to use an android phone as a portable storage device easily (solved with a 128gb usb stick on a keychain)

* The Torque app on android for diagnosing cars. 

* an IR blaster. 

* I'd prefer to have a headphone jack, but I used headphones twice in the year I had the 6S+ so it's not an issue for me. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:40 AM, ZacoAttaco said:

Nova Launcher is a very useful tool when using my Android and I do miss that control that it offered.

I'll stick to custom rom because most of those launcher brings adware virus bloat which is sucks, Each time i connected to the wifi and bammm a new apps installed without me knowing it.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

Bought my first iPhone (3GS) when Android wasn't really a thing yet. Nokia and its Symbian OS was all the rage.

While Nokia smartphones had great specs and the customisability of Symbian was truly impressive even by todays standards, it was riddled with bugs and poor quality control. Every single Nokia I owned had to be serviced at some point due to some inexplicable hardware or software failure. For example, slider phones would always develop an incredibly annoying wobble over time, or, in one particular case, opening the camera's mechanical shutter would cause the whole phone to crash... It was so frustrating!

Cue some day in 2009 when the iPhone 3GS was released, the first iPhone with video recording. That was the feature that finally convinced me to go to an Apple Store and try out the iPhone in person. And oh my god! The sensitivity of the capacity touch-screen and the smoothness of the iOS navigation simply blew me away when compared to the offerings from competitors. Bought my first iPhone a few weeks later. An iPhone 4S and 5S after some more time... Currently still rocking a maxed out iPhone 7.

And, what is more surprising, in the 9 years of iPhone ownership, I never had the iPhone give me any major problems. No hardware failure (aside from the worn out batteries) in 9 years! And the few software hick-ups I did have, I was able to resolve by restoring the firmware.

There were a couple of times were I was considering going Android due to the cost factor, but every time I try the Android flagship in a store - even something like an S9 - the OS experience never feels as smooth as the iPhone. Android is definitely closing the gap, especially in the last few years. But I'm not sure if it's the software optimisation, or animation differences, but I just don't like how the UI navigation feels on Android.

My only problem with Apple is that recently the prices keep inflating with very little new features. Would like to upgrade my 7 soon, but neither the iPhone 8, X, or the XS seem like a very big technological jump, especially for the price. My previous upgrades of 3GS -> 4S, 4S -> 5S, and 5S -> 7.... I could feel the difference between the phones every time, whether it be the screen, camera, processing power, design, or something else. But I can't feel any significant difference between the newer iPhones and my old 7. Honestly, the new X series is just awkward and bulky in the hand, and... well... boring. And I'm not too keen to shell out $1500 (!!!) for a phone like that just yet...

EDIT: grammar

8 hours ago, Ya_Mi said:

I'll stick to custom rom because most of those launcher brings adware virus bloat which is sucks, Each time i connected to the wifi and bammm a new apps installed without me knowing it.

I use Nova Launcher and there's no issues like that there. It's one of, if not the most popular launcher for Android.

15 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I use Nova Launcher and there's no issues like that there. It's one of, if not the most popular launcher for Android.

Alright i'll give it a shoot. I use Apex launcher.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

I've used an iPhone 7 for 2 years now. I bought it pretty absent-mindedly, didn't do any research into what other android offerings there were. but I was using a 5th Gen iPod touch at the time alongside a Moto X2.  I was familiar with iOS and how it worked on my iPod and iPad and it was no trouble getting used to the iPhone. I was a little peeved initially about the lack of headphone jack but even to this day I use wired earphones with no trouble. I've run beta software on it exclusives for about 18 months out of the last 2 years and had less issues than I had with my Moto X2. It was less buggy, slowed down less and hasn't really had to be reset or anything. As for battery health, the settings option says 84% which is ok since it gets fast charged every night. With iOS 12 it's felt a lot smoother and nicer to use. That said, looking at other android offerings, I'm very tempted by the LG V40, but I'll probably end up with an XS or XS Max. 

In short, Apple's always been reliable to me so I continue using it. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, poochyena said:

It means that vulnerabilities are quickly patched before hackers exploit it on a larger scale. Also, this will include bug fixes and new features. 

As I’ve said before, iOS 12 is a significant leap from the train wreck that is iOS 11 as it breathed new life on older phones like the iPhone 5s and iPad Air from 2013 with the A7 chip inside. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Also, when @LinusTech is complaining about the lack of auto complete within the dialer, little did he know you can do it within Spotlight. Just pull down from the home screen and start typing a number. 

2622D3B2-37A2-44D3-A19C-03E98D26BD18.jpeg

Just now, captain_to_fire said:

Also, when @LinusTech is complaining about the lack of auto complete within the dialer, little did he know you can do it within Spotlight. Just pull down from the home screen and start typing a number. 

2622D3B2-37A2-44D3-A19C-03E98D26BD18.jpeg

That's a neat feature - I've never tried it myself.

But I hope they integrate that feature into the calling app itself in a future update.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

does it auto-completes the number or does it act like T9 Dialing?  if it's auto-completing the number than it doesn't really help if i actually don't know the numbers 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Reasons I use an iPhone SE

• My parents bought me one
  • The iOS operating system is way more intuitive and easier to use
  • The iPhone simply looks better
  • Every device in our house is Apple aside from our TV and our stereo equipment, it makes it so much easier to sync my phone and everything 
  • The iPhones usually are better quality, I know this can be debatable but the difference between and iPhone and and Android is the difference between a Mercedes and a Honda, although the Honda may have some new features like lane keep assistant etc, the lane keep assistance of the Honda wont be anywhere as good as the Lane Keep assistant of the Mercedes, the same applies for the iPhone and Android, although they may share similar features Apple does it better (this statement is very biased)
  • iPhones last longer, I've had my iPhone SE for probably about 2 years now and it still works like new, something many of my friends with Android phones can't really say
  • iCloud, I can share my calendar, notes, contacts, music and pretty much everything with my mac
  • Seems to be pretty drop resistant. My case is most certainly not the strongest, its is a super slim black plastic case that i mainly got for the looks, I've dropped my phone several times from heights that I know my friend with a Samsung phone has dropped his and had it break
  • I always get better reception with my iPhone in school than the kids with non iPhones
  • Social Status 

18 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

does it auto-completes the number or does it act like T9 Dialing?  if it's auto-completing the number than it doesn't really help if i actually don't know the numbers 

Good point. T9 dialing is about spelling the name of the person you're trying to call, using the T9 character-to-number standardized association.

Example: I want to call Steve. So I dial 78383 and the phone should do two things:

1. It should obviously display any actual numbers that happen to start with 78383

2. It should also recognize any contact names within the numbers dialed, and give "Steve" as a contact suggestion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

In my short time that I'm alive I had only 3 phones: Nokia with buttons and small screen and Snake, Samsung Galaxy Ace - shit, and iPhone SE, so I am not that experienced with variety of phones, so take it for what you want. 

RANT:
The reason I am with iPhone is simple: Android (in those days 2.3.3. and non-upgradable by vendor!) on low-end phones was utter shit. The frustration grew into hatred of Android. The worst operating system ever made, by people who clearly thought of using Java on poorly-performing ARM is going to be a great idea. Apps crashed or didn't launch by simply having not enough RAM. I had a gadget running on Android, that would perform Garbage-Collection and it would kill services that were running in the background.  The mere frustration from the very first Android experience just ruined everything.
END OF RANT

iPhone is Nokia of these days (kinda). It works. It's reliable. Not unbreakable, or invincible like Nokia was, but reliable. It's not a spectacular product either, like Note series from Samsung, but I know that it won't blow up in my pocket. It just works.™️ I know that it will work tomorrow and the day after that. I dont have the same feeling with Android Phone with 64 GB of RAM and 2 hexacore ARM processors. Do I think paying 1000$ for iPhone is justifiable ? No. Do I think that I need the best iPhone every year? No. 

So why I am using Apple iPhone:
 - iPhone Apps are working. If they don't work, they won't appear on App Store. 

- I don't want to tinker with my phone whatsoever. My job is working on my software and my product, not on my phone, to get a feature/app working! 

- Seamless integration with iTunes/macOS.

30 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

That was me typing the first two letters of someone’s name.

C9694A27-FE67-44CB-9F7C-9233A51E41FB.jpeg.d26caa3cb5a9725bb81ef0a8687356fa.jpeg

While it definitely needs improvement, I don’t think the dialer is used to search for someone’s name. It’s used to type a phone number.!

31 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

That was me typing the first two letters of someone’s name.

you can pretty much do that in any phone, Android, Microsoft's Windows OS or even an old Nokia phone, of course the people's contact is gonna show up if you start to type thier name in a search bar, that's where T9 comes in. saying little did he know that he can search for them in a search bar is not really saying anything IMO

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I understand the design language and am used to it. 

Good internal support - Apple are well reputed for keeping their updates robust & frequent (the main advantage of their closed garden).

Good external support - developers like their platform. Money is good and so is developer support, features come fast to handsets because of this, and beacuse of the low variation in varieties to develop for. 

Good mix mix of features & build - most of the phones they release are well rounded, thought out, and physically solid (this is less important these days, as adrioid devices if the same price are on par or better)

App Store is somewhat more controlled (slightly less malicious software), but this has disadvantages. Some apps get shot down: steam play (is that what it was called) and an app that used 3D Touch to turn the phone into a scales. 

New features are agressivly pushed on other industries - Apple Pay (nfc, not transfers) is handy was available pretty fast nearly everywhere (at least here in Ireland), aeroplane ticket management, wireless charging, etc. (Also again a negative, rip headphone jack) 

Privacy policies 

Long term device support. 

Good ecosystem, their apps work well with their hardware solutions. (Blessing and curse, and this is becoming more and more competed). 

Overall, it’s a pick your poison type of affair. Neither platform is perfect, and seeing the merits of both leads to a better understanding of what you may like more and what will suit you. There are many reasons to go to either. Apples device support is exemplary, as is androids fierce competition and the true /$ value you can find. The examples go on. Getting used to the day to day and software UX & UI are secondary, getting used to making the most of the systems presented is an investment of time. Making all but the egregious UX differences “learnable”. Search contacts by name or number, or app placement  customisation, backbutton vs left swipe. These are all things that have never gotten in my way, but maybe if I was not used to them the adjustment could be painful. 

Iv only used android briefly, so a lot of this is skewed. Current phone 6s+ (gonna do at least two years more). Stay open and curious folks.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Honestly? I've been an apple fanboy since forever. My mom worked at an apple reseller back before they were popular. My first computer was a green screen apple. My second computer was a beige apple, and my third computer was a pink iMac. (We weren't really... rich, most of these computers were ones that the customer didn't pick up or were scavenged together.) I owned (and still own) the original iPod. (and it still works.)

However, while you can call me biased, you can't say I've never tried. I tried a samsung phone. I think it was a galaxy S3? It... worked. Just the OS wasn't as... nice as apples. I had to decide which messaging app I wanted, which browser I wanted, instead of it all just... working. While it was super cool that I could run a literal console on the linux base, and use that to connect to my servers at home, I simply... didn't need to. I don't need my phone to be able to do everything. The internet is so good now-a-day that I can VNC into my actual computer if I need to do real work. I just want my phone to make calls, send texts, entertain me when I'm bored and away from home, and most importantly, NOT CRASH. 

In the 1.5 years I had my samsung it crashed so many times, requiring hard resets. In the 5+ years I've owned iphones, I can probably count on one hand how many times I remember them crashing. 

TL;DR: Apple's phone's are simple and they work. 

That said, I'm still on an iPhone 6 that I got for free from verizon. So technically I didn't.... buy it per se.