Corsair RM850x vs HX750i?

MaximumSid

So after realizing that Cooler Master MasterWatt 750 wasn't 'ideal' for my 2080 Ti + i9 9900K build, I decided to go for a Tier 1 PSU.

The only good choices available in stock in my area are either Corsair's RM850x (2018) or HX750i, HX750i is like $20 more expensive, which I can for, if HXi is better (it's a 2017 unit, if that matters).

So should I go for mor watts with RM850x or platinum efficiency with HX750i (+ Corsair Link)? the power I need is around 650W and I doubt that I am going to be overclocking a lot.

I have also heard about better sleeving of cables being better on RMx, but it has in cable capacitors that reviewers are criticizing (not sure if HXi has the same, or if in cable capacitors are even an issue).

So which is actually a better power supply between these two? I am sure that both of these are excellent, but is one of these better?

I don't see a reason to spend $20 for less wattage... If they're both Tier 1 PSUs and they both put out enough watts for what you need, get which ever one will look better in your case I guess.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

IMO, both are great choices. I would get RM850x as you will forget about corsair link after a few days.

Magical Pineapples

So supposedly the only difference between the RMi series and the HXi series is that the HXi series is 80 Platinum.  That aside, you get the i series bells and whistles and 2 extra years of warranty compared to the standard RM series.  Draw your own conclusion based on that.  I don't think you'll have a problem with either, so I'd get more watts for $20 less.  I already have an RM850x though :)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/RM-RMi-HXi

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I went with the RM850x. What EMC said was quite true, corsair link will lose its novelty soon, plus it will also take a USB header on motherboard, and lastly, I should be able to make up for the ~2% efficiency difference on load somewhat with higher wattage. Also, $20 bucks is $20 bucks :P 

22 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

So supposedly the only difference between the RMi series and the HXi series is that the HXi series is 80 Platinum.  That aside, you get the i series bells and whistles and 2 extra years of warranty compared to the standard RM series.  Draw your own conclusion based on that.  I don't think you'll have a problem with either, so I'd get more watts for $20 less.  I already have an RM850x though :)

They are both extend to 10 years btw. that is pretty old blog post.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10255/corsair-extends-warranty-of-advanced-psus-to-10-years

Magical Pineapples

On 10/15/2018 at 1:33 PM, PineyCreek said:

10 years waranty on the 2018 RM series so not even that is an issue anymore :)

Both the HX and RMx platforms are near godlike. Only a few power supplies out there that can compete with them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

4 hours ago, LinusOnLine said:

10 years waranty on the 2018 RM series so not even that is an issue anymore :)

You overrate the Warranty.

Because:

a) cost of sending the PSU to the manufacturer

b) wear and tear is exclude

c) receit or other proof of purchase

So they can reject the Warranty at any time in theory. And YOU have to keep the Proof of Purchase as well.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You overrate the Warranty.

Because:

a) cost of sending the PSU to the manufacturer

b) wear and tear is exclude

c) receit or other proof of purchase

So they can reject the Warranty at any time in theory. And YOU have to keep the Proof of Purchase as well.

Here you send them in to the store you bought it from free of charge. They also keep the reciept digitally so no cost or burden what so ever. Also wear and tear on a PSU? You put it in and you never really touch it again :)

14 hours ago, LinusOnLine said:

Here you send them in to the store you bought it from free of charge.

Good for you and the store, that is nice.

But what do you do when the store goes under?

They also keep the reciept digitally so no cost or burden what so ever.

for how long? And what if the store goes under?

Also wear and tear on a PSU? You put it in and you never really touch it again :)

When you do not understand what the other side is saying, you ask to clarify that.

Wear and Tear means that things fail without it beeing a manufacturing defect!

That is something most (or even all) PSU manufacturers include. That includes, but is not limited, to a failing fan, wich is obviously wear and tear, but also exploding +5VSB Chips, MOSFETs, blown caps, burned/corrodet Connectors.

So what exactly is NOT wear and tear after 5 years?? Ähm, yeah, there is nothing. And its also very hard to prove that it failed due to manufacturing defect as well.

So your "warranty is important!!1" claim is bullshit. Its not.

Oh another thing that is not included in the Warranty:
Changes in the ATX Specification!

And there is something coming in the next couple of years, if nothing goes wrong on the Intel/M$ Side. 

But when the new Specification, that's in the works right now, will hit the Market with Motherboards, you'll see what I'm talking about. And that the Manufacturers will reject the Warranty claims of users because they guarantee that the PSU works with the specification that is common when the PSU was released, not upcoming stuff.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 10/15/2018 at 9:39 PM, Cereal5 said:

I don't see a reason to spend $20 for less wattage... If they're both Tier 1 PSUs and they both put out enough watts for what you need, get which ever one will look better in your case I guess.

HXi has digital power/fan monitoring, it also has a better quality fan, RMx has none of these things.

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

So your "warranty is important!!1" claim is bullshit. Its not.

You are aware that I never said warranty is important right? That was someone else. 

On 10/17/2018 at 11:07 PM, awesomegamer919 said:

HXi has digital power/fan monitoring, it also has a better quality fan, RMx has none of these things.

True enough.  That's the 'i' part of it since you get that on the RMi models too.