Sennheiser HD 518 vs 558

Redskins751

I am looking at geting a new set of headphones. I will be using these on both my PC and hopefully mobile. I am only using the onboard audio of the Asrock Z77 extreme4. My main questions are: Will either of these work with my onboard audio or will I need A DAC? I will need a microphone to use while on my pc would this work until I can get a desktop mic? What are the major differences between these two headphones? What makes the HD 558 more expensive?

No that v-moda mic won't work. The detachable cable on the 558's are 2.5mm, not 3.5mm.

You can get a desktop mic for $40 - called the blue snowflake.

Either headphones will be good, there aren't major differences between the two.

I am looking at geting a new set of headphones. I will be using these on both my PC and hopefully mobile. I am only using the onboard audio of the Asrock Z77 extreme4. My main questions are: Will either of these work with my onboard audio or will I need A DAC? I will need a microphone to use while on my pc would this work until I can get a desktop mic? What are the major differences between these two headphones? What makes the HD 558 more expensive?

Get the 558, it's better. You also should be able to use your on board audio to drive them.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

The graphs I've seen look very similar between the 518 and 558, so much so that my guess is they use the same drivers.

so the difference between them is the housing.

the 518's are more closed off which can result in some weird sound reflection which would cause me to recommend the 558's.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Pretty sure the HD558's don't have a detachable cable, so that mic won't work with them...

However, I love my HD558's, they are an open style headphone and sound incredible.

If you decide to purchase the 558's I'd suggest one of these or these for a mic.

Pretty sure the HD558's don't have a detachable cable, so that mic won't work with them...

However, I love my HD558's, they are an open style headphone and sound incredible.

If you decide to purchase the 558's I'd suggest one of these or these for a mic.

They do have a detectable cable, it's just not the right size for that boom mic.

They do have a detectable cable, it's just not the right size for that boom mic.

Well I have mine in my hand... and it's not removable... so...

Edit: Nvm you sir are correct, I've just discovered a new feature! :D

The graphs I've seen look very similar between the 518 and 558, so much so that my guess is they use the same drivers.

They do indeed use exactly the same drivers.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

the 518's are more closed off which can result in some weird sound reflection which would cause me to recommend the 558's.

While more closed off they still sound the same as the 558's, during my long term listen to them I didn't get any weird, or otherwise odd signatures with them.

i got the 558 and they are phenomenal and i have no regrets the bass is not overpowering, the mids are great, and the treble is not to sharp they are open so other people can heir the music very well.

I like my 558s. I've done the foam mod (which I was very skeptical of) 4 days ago and the 2 foam strips are still in my closet, I think the mod makes the headphones sound better (at least for my taste). Anybody else tried the mod?

Gigabyte z87x-ud3h \ Intel® Core™ i7-4770K \ Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB \ EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC \ Corsair CX750M \ Onboard sound (Alc898)