Google Focuses on Privacy, Facebook Gets Creepier

How do you feel about these companies and whether they value our privacy?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. FB

• FB - Confident
    • FB - A bit worried
    • FB - Bow to your new overlords!
  2. 2. Google

• Google - Confident
    • Google - A bit worried
    • Google - Bow to your new overlords!

I would no more trust either Google or FB than fire a nailgun into my gentleman area. The trouble is that it's really bloody hard to completely avoid FB in some form (though I'm not sure what they harvest from whatsapp?). And impossible to avoid Google, at least without disconnecting from the internet which is further than most are willing to go.

5 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

it raises a handful of thorny questions about how many cameras and microphones people want to have in their connected homes and how much they trust giant tech companies to protect their data and privacy in their most intimate spaces.

I wouldn't trust a close, personal friend (any of them) with a mic/camera in my home, there's not a chance in the world I'd trust a company or the government.  It's true that my cell phone has both those things, but I take steps to mitigate that concern.

50 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

it's really hard to completely avoid FB in some form

Really?  I find it incredibly easy.  I have zero connections to FB in any manner whatsoever.  I will concur on the Google comment, though.

I don't trust Google. And I trust Facebook even less.

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

Yeah, it's called "unplugging it from mains power" 

inb4 has internal battery and mode that allows it to run for months sipping power

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I would be more likely to trust Google over Facebook any day... Again though that's not to say I trust them by much! I don't trust most companies with my privacy/information etc. Especially when there are people out there willing to pay to get that information off said companies. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I purged my facebook account info long ago.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 10/13/2018 at 6:26 PM, Jtalk4456 said:

To me this is creepy. Sure the concept makes sense for making video calls and the technology is nice, no doubts there.

Isn't this just the same feature laptop webcams have had for ages?

Facebook and Google can both be shoved up where the sun don't shine. 

Google has gotten so bad that I'm seriously considering my next phone being an Iphone as much as I despise the closed nature of it and the stupid things Apple does like removing the headphone jack.  The only reason I'm not switching yet is that my S8+ is already paid off and it would be burning money at this point. 

Poll was misleading.   Some people are quite fine with being ruled by an overlord.  I'm not.  I realize you wanted to be funny but a simple "Hell no" would have been better.

Question is also misleading in that there is no doubt both companies "value" our privacy... just with them it's monetary.  We are extremely valuable to them.

11 hours ago, toor said:

Poll was misleading.   Some people are quite fine with being ruled by an overlord.  I'm not.  I realize you wanted to be funny but a simple "Hell no" would have been better.

Question is also misleading in that there is no doubt both companies "value" our privacy... just with them it's monetary.  We are extremely valuable to them.

To clarify, I was neither making a joke of or endorsing the concept of overlord. Though the name is a funny term that people use in a joke all the time, the question of it was serious. I'm not sure how well facebook will fare outside of sharing software over the years to stay alive, but google has roots in EVERYTHING, so while they might not be political leaders, they control basically all of our data, they have a say in our content, our news, our research. They are an isp, a phone service, a phone maker, a smart home designer, everything. you name it with tech, they have it, not to even mention the vast stores of data and software. They are the unofficial rulers of this world in my opinion. If they wanted to make anything happen, between the money and the lawyers and the sheer power they have access to in all parts of an internet connected life, they can get done whatever they want. So when I put the option for overlord, I wasn't implying good or bad or making a joke, I was simply stating the opinion that they have an immense aount of power over the world. I apologize if I offended you by accident, but that was not the intention here

As for the second comment, I understand the point you're aiming for, but your semantics are off and I was not misleading in any way. A data company who collects and sells data cannot by definition be valuing privacy by doing so. They value our data not our privacy. The question is will they be responsible with it. And while I don't trust either of them farther than I can throw them, I think Facebook has really hurt themselves in this regards over the last 2 years.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

16 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

To clarify, I was neither making a joke of or endorsing the concept of overlord. Though the name is a funny term that people use in a joke all the time, the question of it was serious. I'm not sure how well facebook will fare outside of sharing software over the years to stay alive, but google has roots in EVERYTHING, so while they might not be political leaders, they control basically all of our data, they have a say in our content, our news, our research. They are an isp, a phone service, a phone maker, a smart home designer, everything. you name it with tech, they have it, not to even mention the vast stores of data and software. They are the unofficial rulers of this world in my opinion. If they wanted to make anything happen, between the money and the lawyers and the sheer power they have access to in all parts of an internet connected life, they can get done whatever they want. So when I put the option for overlord, I wasn't implying good or bad or making a joke, I was simply stating the opinion that they have an immense aount of power over the world. I apologize if I offended you by accident, but that was not the intention here 

As for the second comment, I understand the point you're aiming for, but your semantics are off and I was not misleading in any way. A data company who collects and sells data cannot by definition be valuing privacy by doing so. They value our data not our privacy. The question is will they be responsible with it. And while I don't trust either of them farther than I can throw them, I think Facebook has really hurt themselves in this regards over the last 2 years.

I think they both have hurt themselves.  Facebook certainly more but both have had their share of crap coming out. 

I definitely hear what you are saying with Google fact is their reach and resources are massive.  However, they are not contrary to popular belief an unbeatable giant.  Youtube while currently the hegemonic video platform loses massive amounts of money and as it turns into cable tv 2.0 it loses what made it unique and drew people to it in the first place.  Not to mention you have adpocalypses taking away revenue and a copyright system that is a bloody mess to say the least.  On the software front they are hit or miss and certainly have had their fair share of failures with android software and so on.  Search engine wise they have overly tailored their search results with algorithms that hand hold your way to everything instead of performing what they originally built it to do which was to crawl and search all of the web.

That brings me into competitors.  I can't say for certain but I think every time these controversies come out it only helps budding alternatives grow and get larger by branding themselves the "anti-google" or "anti-facebook".  Furthermore, I think as you censor and restrict your services to more and more people willingly you're giving a reason for alternatives to exist and essentially telling them please take my customers.

Duck Duck Go is already a viable search engine which doesn't algorithmic try to steer you one direction or another based on shadow profiles or collected data and it functions surprisingly well and has grown and become profitable consistently.

There are a slew of encrypted email services popping up such as ProtonMail and Tutanota which also have perfectly functioning apps on android and ios and offer free and paid versions.

Bitchute is a peer to peer video sharing platform with the ability to tip specific videos and content people put out and they have gradually been adding features present in youtube like a native dark theme, playlists, autoplay etc.  Coupled they also have far more lenient copyright rules and regulations when it comes to content.  The peer to peer nature of it also cuts down alot on costs which is the part I'm most interested in seeing how it plays out. 

iOS while done by Apple is pretty adament about user privacy and encryption (at least for now) and that certainly hasn't seemed to hurt the trillion dollar company in spite of many of the weird decisions they make in regards to a closed system.

i dislike both in terms of privacy. 

i like google for actually makign things i sue everyday. in other words stuff that's useful to me. facebook isn't useful to me. 

She/Her