best VR Headset?

Hi All,

So basically, I plan to develop an environment for a college project, and want to make it into a VR experience. I've had experience with Google Daydream and such and want to move into the HTC and Oculus world. Which do you think is better? Oculus Rift or HTC Vive? I plan to build the world in Unity. I know its pretty simple to set it up in Unity (cameras and controls), but I'm not 100% sure quality wise which is better? I'm not to crazy about the controllers on the Oculus Rift.. They're kind of weird.. But in any case, has anybody had any experience with either? Which is better?

Cheers,

Steve

(I'd like to know this aswell)

Good luck in your project :D sounds cool, I also want to do something like that, archviz photorealism in VR  I've seen videos on it!

I personally have used both and have a few opinions on each:

The rift has good headphones included but can be a pain to get room scale setup as you need to buy extra sensors

The vive is better for room scale but the headphones aren't very good unless you get the deluxe audio strap. I would recommend the VIVE however due to its better tracking and good plugins built into unity.

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

(I'd like to know this aswell)

Good luck in your project :D sounds cool, I also want to do something like that, archviz photorealism in VR  I've seen videos on it!

That sounds awesome!! Good luck to you too. Please share pictures or videos of your project!!!

2 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I have the HTC Vive and I've gotta say it is absolutely fantastic. I've never tried the Oculus Rift so I can't really give you a comparison, but if you do get the HTC Vive, lemme tell you that you won't be disappointed :) 

1 minute ago, Hewie said:

I personally have used both and have a few opinions on each:

The rift has good headphones included but can be a pain to get room scale setup as you need to buy extra sensors

The vive is better for room scale but the headphones aren't very good unless you get the deluxe audio strap. I would recommend the VIVE however due to its better tracking and good plugins built into unity.

That seems like a big pro I saw as well, the plugins made for unity seem really easy to setup, I'm willing to sacrifice sound for accessibility.

Right now it's around $499, do they typically go on sale during the holidays? Should I wait to get it, or just get it now?

Just now, Stevers108 said:

That seems like a big pro I saw as well, the plugins made for unity seem really easy to setup, I'm willing to sacrifice sound for accessibility.

Right now it's around $499, do they typically go on sale during the holidays? Should I wait to get it, or just get it now?

There may be a black Friday sale so wait until then. If you are in the US, micro center will probably do a discount then.

I also strongly recommend the deluxe audio strap with the vive as it is much more comfortable :)

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Oh I forgot to mention that the HTC Vive seems to be really robust, there have been a few instances where I've been playing Beat Saber and have full-on pelted the controllers against the wall and them still be working 100% fine with no issue with the sensors - even the headset fell off my desk and it's still working fine.

(Not that I recommend you not be careful, it's just nice to know they aren't as fragile as glass)

I'll be sure to drop it as soon as I walk out of the store

BraveWhichDolphin-size_restricted.gif

4 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

^ I totally agree with this, the tracking on the HTC Vive is amazing - I've never had an issue with it. I use 2 lighthouses/base stations and it's 100% accurate 100% of the time

The tracking on the Rift is just as good.

4 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

Oh I forgot to mention that the HTC Vive seems to be really robust, there have been a few instances where I've been playing Beat Saber and have full-on pelted the controllers against the wall and them still be working 100% fine with no issue with the sensors - even the headset fell off my desk and it's still working fine.

(Not that I recommend you not be careful, it's just nice to know they aren't as fragile as glass)

I've smacked my wall with Rift controllers too, they're also very durable.