Embedded attachments working selectively

vanished
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

IE, Edge and Safari don't support webm, so it degrades to a download link. https://caniuse.com/#feat=webm

I recently noticed that uploading certain files like ogg, mp4, or webm resulted in a user friendly embed, similar to how youtube links are handled.

Example:

The actual video:

How it appears to me:

image.png.7010eff62949120d11a04ebace8a5537.png

After a brief exchange with some other users we realized that this works in Chrome and Firefox but not Edge or Safari.

Is this an intended feature?  If so, Edge and Safari support should be added if possible (or if this isn't up to you and it's just those browsers being garbage, that would be good to know too).

If not, maybe it should even be disabled so people don't try it and cause a fragmented experience?  idk...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Loading this page on my iPhone just now I got a single frame of an embedded video player, but then it reloaded the section of the page as a link instead. Unable to replicate the player coming up at all again btw. 

Safari on iOS 12.0.1 (by extension all browsers on iOS and Safari on Mac experience the same thing) btw. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Loading this page on my iPhone just now I got a single frame of an embedded video player, but then it reloaded the section of the page as a link instead. Unable to replicate the player coming up at all again btw. 

Safari on iOS 12.0.1 (by extension all browsers on iOS and Safari on Mac experience the same thing) btw. 

That's very interesting... you wouldn't expect a player at all to appear if it wasn't going to work.  It's almost like it would have but then something was like "no, you're not allowed!"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I turned off my ad blocker on my iPhone and reloaded the page and got a frame of the imbedded player but it still reverted back to the link. 

Definitely something wrong with the way the embed process is set to show up. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I turned off my ad blocker on my iPhone and reloaded the page and got a frame of the imbedded player but it still reverted back to the link. 

Definitely something wrong with the way the embed process is set up. 

I seem to recall you were having an issue with controls for embedded content recently as well (YouTube was it?).  What ever came of that?  I had a quick look through the recent threads in this section and didn't see anything about it.  I wonder if that could be related...

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

IE, Edge and Safari don't support webm, so it degrades to a download link. https://caniuse.com/#feat=webm

Wooooow... Ok then, well that answers that.  Thanks :)

22 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wooooow... Ok then, well that answers that.  Thanks :)

By the way, for OGG support in Edge you need to download this:

image.png.fade28062db43959fdd7c6ba371c6e47.png

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),