Laptops for College

What laptops would you recommend for college? Would like to see the more cheap options

how about this ? i have the one with an AMD A9-9420 inside but its only sold in Indonesia image.png.b25447464218195497744c41f21dbef0.png

Reminder to always be happy even in tough situations 馃檪

19 minutes ago, AaronS6789 said:

What laptops would you recommend for college? Would like to see the more cheap options

I know you say cheap options but could you provide a budget in your currency and what you plan to do with it?

General notes

Some gaming on the side

Coding

Video editing

Photo editing

3D rendering

There are a lot of different things but we need a budget and your usage.聽

Where are you from? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, display size and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600聽Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGBGigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18聽Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W GoldTecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I'm taking dual credit classes in programming and im on a maximum budget of 300 dollars, i had a laptop before but my brother broke it and it wouldn't have suited my needs because just downloading eclipse would have taken too much space, i've looked at many laptops and i was looking at an old thinkpad for 300$ on staples (they don't seem to know value) but i found that it was sold out, i'm looking for something snappy, i'm not a pc gamer (yet) and i don't need an over the top workstation either, so probably something from the more recent years, with a 64-256gb ssd (hdds are too slow) and an i3, maybe an amd a9 or a10, pentium even, but not going to drop down to celeron, had one in my first laptop and it gets stuck on closing windows update pages. Hoping for a deal with 4gb ram but 2 should do for now seeing as im not going to be running vm's on it or editing videos or pictures or even gaming heavily. I hope this provides a clearer picture for suggestions

10 minutes ago, AaronS6789 said:

maximum budget of 300 dollars

Go used. Much better

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600聽Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGBGigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18聽Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

You seem to be on the right track. Old thinkpads and hp聽elite books are awesome for that.

As for you wanting an ssd, old business laptops are super easy to upgrade and you can usually pick up a 120gb for 20 bucks.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834850081R

Only a dual core with hyper threading, but its listed as a grade a open box and newegg's direct聽refurbs have always been good to me. You can get a pretty good extended battery for these for next to聽nothing as well.

3 hours ago, markr54632 said:

You seem to be on the right track. Old thinkpads and hp聽elite books are awesome for that.

As for you wanting an ssd, old business laptops are super easy to upgrade and you can usually pick up a 120gb for 20 bucks.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834850081R

Only a dual core with hyper threading, but its listed as a grade a open box and newegg's direct聽refurbs have always been good to me. You can get a pretty good extended battery for these for next to聽nothing as well.

So what are we talking about for weight here? I walk for about 40 minutes to school every morning so this is pretty important.

Also, what would some of you think if I didn't have a budget? I'm on the verge of my first job and that could seriously change what I can buy, so i've been looking into some laptops i've heard of Linus using for his daily driver (Razer blade, macbook, dell xps 13) and they seem like really good choices...if you have the money.

25 minutes ago, AaronS6789 said:

So what are we talking about for weight here? I walk for about 40 minutes to school every morning so this is pretty important.

5.5 pounds if you buy the extended battery. 4.5 ish with the standard battery. Personally I dont really care about weight. I walk a ton and carry a 5 pound laptop and 3-5 books and a tablet everywhere. If you have a decent backpack it's not a big deal.

If you had no budget get something nicer. That time without a laptop is going to be very hard.

Check at your school to see if they have a laptop loaning program and to see what discounts you qualify for. Usually the mac education discount is great.

So at my school they gave everyone chromebooks, but that doesn't make up for practice in my dual credit courses where i cant use eclipse, raptor, visio, or any other program that isn't included in the google suite or the google play store, and they have such restrictions on the other computer they gave me that i can't run any kind of installer so i have to find the full file after installing which is quite inconvenient. What they have done to this computer is any computer enthusiasts nightmare, they have all security locked down, and even cmd is locked so i cant give myself admin privileges. If you cant tell i'm in high school and that's why its like this

4 hours ago, AaronS6789 said:

Also, what would some of you think if I didn't have a budget?

There are tons of options

Desktop specs:

Spoiler