Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coolcommando54

SD Card refuses to reformat, and data doesn't delete

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have a sandisk 32gb ultra sd card that I've been using mainly on my phone for spotify music and a couple photos. The card was working until a couple weeks ago when my phone said something along the lines of "error on sd. remove damaged card". I went onto my pc and couldn't open the drive. Recovery software wasn't working and I eventually gave up. So then this afternoon I popped it back into my pc, and the sd card is accessible again. I backed it up and decided the best course of action was to reformat it. When reformatting using the windows tool I get the error "windows was unable to complete the formatting". I then tried the sd memory card formatter (here https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html) and despite using quick and overwrite formats it simply did nothing and all the data is still there. I even deleted all the files and plugged it back into my pc. When I looked at the drive, all the files are still there. Even though I manually deleted them. 

To clarify, I'd like some help finding a solution to fix or format the card. I don't care about the info on it. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probalby a bad card, they normally go read only when something goes wrong. Id just get a new card. You can't really fix it.

Yeap, there is little to no action you can do here and probably if you try to do more stuff with it, you will eventually make the damage grow. good thing you dont care about that info tbh

7 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

So I have a sandisk 32gb ultra sd card that I've been using mainly on my phone for spotify music and a couple photos. The card was working until a couple weeks ago when my phone said something along the lines of "error on sd. remove damaged card". I went onto my pc and couldn't open the drive. Recovery software wasn't working and I eventually gave up. So then this afternoon I popped it back into my pc, and the sd card is accessible again. I backed it up and decided the best course of action was to reformat it. When reformatting using the windows tool I get the error "windows was unable to complete the formatting". I then tried the sd memory card formatter (here https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html) and despite using quick and overwrite formats it simply did nothing and all the data is still there. I even deleted all the files and plugged it back into my pc. When I looked at the drive, all the files are still there. Even though I manually deleted them. 

To clarify, I'd like some help finding a solution to fix or format the card. I don't care about the info on it. Thanks!

Your card is probably on its way out. But I think Sandisk has a lifetime warranty on some of their SD cards? You might be able to get a new one for free.

REMILIA Mk.IIB: CPU: i7-4770, Cooler: Intel® Thermal Solution BXTS15A, RAM: 14GB, Mobo: MSI B85M-E45, GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8G, Storage: 180GB cheapo SSD, 5 hard drives between 1TB and 2TB of varying brand and age, PSU: Corsair AX850, Case: Thermaltake V21, Monitors: iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, two in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands), Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220, Sabaj D3 DAC/AMP, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Creative Sound Blaster X G1, Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset), Takstar Pro82, Anker Soundcore Pro+, Mouse: Razer Basilisk, Keyboard: Ajazz AK60

Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

Your card is probably on its way out. But I think Sandisk has a lifetime warranty on some of their SD cards? You might be able to get a new one for free.

Sent them a message. Will hopefully get a response in the next couple days