Are you surprised by smartphone specs still?

zrmaxwell

Smartphones nowadays are having their specifications leaked left and right nowadays. There is absolutely no surprise when a smartphone is announced.

With flagship android phones, it will be a snapdragon 855 all over the place next year & with apple, it will be the A13 next year. 

It kind of applies to smartphone design thanks to their design leaks..

All i wish for nowadays is a surprise Apple or Android phone... you know... one that you can't see coming from a mile or two away. 

I am probably in the minority when it comes to this subject, but i could be wrong. 

I used to be. Now it's just more of a "who needs that??" type of thing. Especially when phones have upwards of 4GB memory.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

16 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Smartphones nowadays are having their specifications leaked left and right nowadays. There is absolutely no surprise when a smartphone is announced.

With flagship android phones, it will be a snapdragon 855 all over the place next year & with apple, it will be the A13 next year. 

It kind of applies to smartphone design thanks to their design leaks..

All i wish for nowadays is a surprise Apple or Android phone... you know... one that you can't see coming from a mile or two away. 

I am probably in the minority when it comes to this subject, but i could be wrong. 

honestly after the 820 I really stopped caring as the 820 meets all my needs.

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I used to be. Now it's just more of a "who needs that??" type of thing. Especially when phones have upwards of 4GB memory.

I have to admit I am one of those people who could use 6GB of RAM.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I have to admit I am one of those people who could use 6GB of VRAM.

VRAM? I'm talking system RAM xD

We could probably all use 6GB VRAM.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah. I feel the same way. Do applications on the smartphone actually utilize or take up all that RAM just to run properly... It's pretty much a status symbol with phones in my mind..

Just now, zrmaxwell said:

Yeah. I feel the same way. Do applications on the smartphone actually utilize or take up all that RAM just to run properly... It's pretty much a status symbol with phones in my mind..

I mean if you multitask the crap out of a phone, then probably...

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I mean if you multitask the crap out of a phone, then probably...

Yep. It is cool an owner has a phone with a lot of RAM, but if they don't multitask at all, it is pretty much pointless.

i'll be surprised when they make a smartphone faster than a desktop.

until then.... "oh that smartphone is basically a slightly slower version of laptop hardware?" wow so surprised

1 minute ago, emosun said:

i'll be surprised when they make a smartphone faster than a desktop.

until then.... "oh that smartphone is basically a slightly slower version of laptop hardware?" wow so surprised

With gaming desktops, that will be a hard thing to achieve. 

2 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

With gaming desktops, that will be a hard thing to achieve. 

yes that's the joke

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

VRAM? I'm talking system RAM xD

We could probably all use 6GB VRAM.

LOL!?  Typo I meant RAM!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Not in the slightest, I stopped caring once we got oled fhd screens and cpus fast enough to have no noticeable slowdowns in the mid to low range. There's nothing I need (or want badly enough to justify the cost) in a flagship phone that I can't have in a 250$ or lower phone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Haven't been surprised by them in a long time, all android and apple devices are just slightly faster than their previous iterations or the same as other devices which came out at similar periods of time, which isn't surprising as we can only progress so far in a period of time, but it takes the fun out of hyping a device.

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

3 minutes ago, Meag said:

Haven't been surprised by them in a long time, all android and apple devices are just slightly faster than their previous iterations or the same as other devices which came out at similar periods of time, which isn't surprising as we can only progress so far in a period of time, but it takes the fun out of hyping a device.

For sure. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on something that does not get old after 48 hours. Smartphones are not those things lol  

Here is my main list of things I want in a Android phone, 1) removable battery, 2) decently fast CPU, 3) rugged build, 4) 3.5 mm jack, 5) plenty of RAM, 6) OLED or IPS display, 7) Water resistance, and 8 ) decent battery life.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Here is my main list of things I want in a Android phone, 1) removable battery, 2) decently fast CPU, 3) rugged build, 4) 3.5 mm jack, 5) plenty of VRAM, 6) OLED or IPS display, 7) Water resistance, and 8 ) decent battery life.

You made the same Typo again ?

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

1 minute ago, Meag said:

You made the same Typo again ?

... I talk way to much about video card.... >-<

Wait, people get excited for phone specs? Unless it's something niche like quad dac headphone jack from LG, it's all the same. Android gets the newest Snapdragon processor, Apple the latest A chip. Screen to body ratio gets bigger. Phones now are small tablets that take phone calls.

Just now, Mooshi said:

Wait, people get excited for phone specs? Unless it's something niche like quad dac headphone jack from LG, it's all the same. Android gets the newest Snapdragon processor, Apple the latest A chip. Screen to body ratio gets bigger. Phones now are small tablets that take phone calls.

I have to admit I love my Quad DAC, but I also really enjoy my removable battery.

Im more worried about the size of the battery out of every useless spec throw at us

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

Im more worried about the size of the battery out of every useless spec throw at us

Yeah. Samsung is the only one with the Note line that increases the battery size it seems.. 

38 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Here is my main list of things I want in a Android phone, 1) removable battery, 2) decently fast CPU, 3) rugged build, 4) 3.5 mm jack, 5) plenty of RAM, 6) OLED or IPS display, 7) Water resistance, and 8 ) decent battery life.

May I ask what all the ram is for?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

May I ask what all the ram is for?

My live wall paper, the background tasks of the 40+ utility apps I have downloaded, the OS, and the 2 to 8 esp. for the occasions in which I am playing some mobile game.

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

My live wall paper, the background tasks of the 40+ utility apps I have downloaded, the OS, and the 2 to 8 esp. for the occasions in which I am playing some mobile game.

That shouldn't be much of a problem for a phone with 3-4GB of ram unless all your apps really do run background tasks constantly - most of them go into hibernation when they're swapped to the background and the os eventually closes them to regain ram if necessary.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

nope because i dont think of them as smart phones anymore but spyphones.

Im more annoyed at developers being like kiddy scriptors and only developing for either android or apple.

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch