Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zrmaxwell

Are you surprised by smartphone specs still?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Smartphones nowadays are having their specifications leaked left and right nowadays. There is absolutely no surprise when a smartphone is announced.

With flagship android phones, it will be a snapdragon 855 all over the place next year & with apple, it will be the A13 next year. 

It kind of applies to smartphone design thanks to their design leaks..

All i wish for nowadays is a surprise Apple or Android phone... you know... one that you can't see coming from a mile or two away. 

I am probably in the minority when it comes to this subject, but i could be wrong. 

I used to be. Now it's just more of a "who needs that??" type of thing. Especially when phones have upwards of 4GB memory.

16 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Smartphones nowadays are having their specifications leaked left and right nowadays. There is absolutely no surprise when a smartphone is announced.

With flagship android phones, it will be a snapdragon 855 all over the place next year & with apple, it will be the A13 next year. 

It kind of applies to smartphone design thanks to their design leaks..

All i wish for nowadays is a surprise Apple or Android phone... you know... one that you can't see coming from a mile or two away. 

I am probably in the minority when it comes to this subject, but i could be wrong. 

honestly after the 820 I really stopped caring as the 820 meets all my needs.

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I used to be. Now it's just more of a "who needs that??" type of thing. Especially when phones have upwards of 4GB memory.

I have to admit I am one of those people who could use 6GB of RAM.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I have to admit I am one of those people who could use 6GB of VRAM.

VRAM? I'm talking system RAM xD

We could probably all use 6GB VRAM.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah. I feel the same way. Do applications on the smartphone actually utilize or take up all that RAM just to run properly... It's pretty much a status symbol with phones in my mind..

Just now, zrmaxwell said:

Yeah. I feel the same way. Do applications on the smartphone actually utilize or take up all that RAM just to run properly... It's pretty much a status symbol with phones in my mind..

I mean if you multitask the crap out of a phone, then probably...

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I mean if you multitask the crap out of a phone, then probably...

Yep. It is cool an owner has a phone with a lot of RAM, but if they don't multitask at all, it is pretty much pointless.

i'll be surprised when they make a smartphone faster than a desktop.

until then.... "oh that smartphone is basically a slightly slower version of laptop hardware?" wow so surprised

1 minute ago, emosun said:

i'll be surprised when they make a smartphone faster than a desktop.

until then.... "oh that smartphone is basically a slightly slower version of laptop hardware?" wow so surprised

With gaming desktops, that will be a hard thing to achieve. 

2 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

With gaming desktops, that will be a hard thing to achieve. 

yes that's the joke

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

VRAM? I'm talking system RAM xD

We could probably all use 6GB VRAM.

LOL!😆  Typo I meant RAM!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Not in the slightest, I stopped caring once we got oled fhd screens and cpus fast enough to have no noticeable slowdowns in the mid to low range. There's nothing I need (or want badly enough to justify the cost) in a flagship phone that I can't have in a 250$ or lower phone.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Haven't been surprised by them in a long time, all android and apple devices are just slightly faster than their previous iterations or the same as other devices which came out at similar periods of time, which isn't surprising as we can only progress so far in a period of time, but it takes the fun out of hyping a device.

3 minutes ago, Meag said:

Haven't been surprised by them in a long time, all android and apple devices are just slightly faster than their previous iterations or the same as other devices which came out at similar periods of time, which isn't surprising as we can only progress so far in a period of time, but it takes the fun out of hyping a device.

For sure. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on something that does not get old after 48 hours. Smartphones are not those things lol  

Here is my main list of things I want in a Android phone, 1) removable battery, 2) decently fast CPU, 3) rugged build, 4) 3.5 mm jack, 5) plenty of RAM, 6) OLED or IPS display, 7) Water resistance, and 8 ) decent battery life.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Here is my main list of things I want in a Android phone, 1) removable battery, 2) decently fast CPU, 3) rugged build, 4) 3.5 mm jack, 5) plenty of VRAM, 6) OLED or IPS display, 7) Water resistance, and 8 ) decent battery life.

You made the same Typo again 😋

1 minute ago, Meag said:

You made the same Typo again 😋

... I talk way to much about video card.... >-<

Wait, people get excited for phone specs? Unless it's something niche like quad dac headphone jack from LG, it's all the same. Android gets the newest Snapdragon processor, Apple the latest A chip. Screen to body ratio gets bigger. Phones now are small tablets that take phone calls.

PRISIMHEART 2.0

Case: TT Core V1 || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 w/ FD Venturi fan || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Monitor: HP Omen 32

Just now, Mooshi said:

Wait, people get excited for phone specs? Unless it's something niche like quad dac headphone jack from LG, it's all the same. Android gets the newest Snapdragon processor, Apple the latest A chip. Screen to body ratio gets bigger. Phones now are small tablets that take phone calls.

I have to admit I love my Quad DAC, but I also really enjoy my removable battery.

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

Im more worried about the size of the battery out of every useless spec throw at us

Yeah. Samsung is the only one with the Note line that increases the battery size it seems.. 

38 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Here is my main list of things I want in a Android phone, 1) removable battery, 2) decently fast CPU, 3) rugged build, 4) 3.5 mm jack, 5) plenty of RAM, 6) OLED or IPS display, 7) Water resistance, and 8 ) decent battery life.

May I ask what all the ram is for?

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Just now, Sauron said:

May I ask what all the ram is for?

My live wall paper, the background tasks of the 40+ utility apps I have downloaded, the OS, and the 2 to 8 esp. for the occasions in which I am playing some mobile game.

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

My live wall paper, the background tasks of the 40+ utility apps I have downloaded, the OS, and the 2 to 8 esp. for the occasions in which I am playing some mobile game.

That shouldn't be much of a problem for a phone with 3-4GB of ram unless all your apps really do run background tasks constantly - most of them go into hibernation when they're swapped to the background and the os eventually closes them to regain ram if necessary.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

nope because i dont think of them as smart phones anymore but spyphones.

Im more annoyed at developers being like kiddy scriptors and only developing for either android or apple.

current main system:

motherboard : AMD FX4130 Quad-Core 3.8Ghz

ram : 8Gig

Video Card : Nvidea Geforce GTX 650

Monitor: 17" LCD X-black Sony

Desperately needs an updated system :(