how do i *somewhat* soundproof my room?

iLostMyXbox21

okay, i need a temporary (3 years or so) way to sound proof (or dampen) my room, i need it to be quiet enough to where i cannot hear the tv in the next room, or loud talking. basically i need a room to record my youtube videos but i have thin walls, and even talking can be heard through the walls..

are there any cheap heap methods to make it to where i can record without the whole house knowing? my parents let me, but they are loud and i don’t want there shows, talking, or music in my background audio (copyright stuff)

is is there a way to get acoustic panels cheap? and how well do those work? i just need it to cover 1 wall, i will have a green screen behind me, and i do not care about the noises outside (i have an acre yard and the road is on the other side of it) even then, you can’t hear the vehicles on the road from my house..  so how much would it cost to dampen the sounds on just one wall? 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, RollTime said:

i am not sure of that, i dont have a tape measure on hand at the moment, i will see if i can find one, i will be back

12 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Hang up blankets everywhere

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

okay, i need a temporary (3 years or so) way to sound proof (or dampen) my room, i need it to be quiet enough to where i cannot hear the tv in the next room, or loud talking. basically i need a room to record my youtube videos but i have thin walls, and even talking can be heard through the walls..

I do have to point out that those foam-panels, like e.g. DVA there linked to, reduce noise caused by echo/reflections inside the room. They do not dampen sound, they do not reduce the volume of sounds carrying to/from the other rooms; to actually dampen noises carrying in/out of the room, you need mass.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

16 minutes ago, RollTime said:

12.5’ x 8.5’

(estimates, i measured with a protractor, i just need an idea of how much i need, i will do actual measuring before i buy anything)

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

i dont have many blankets, i have a small purple one that keeps me warm all year, so i dont need anymore, so i dont have many more.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I do have to point out that those foam-panels, like e.g. DVA there linked to, reduce noise caused by echo/reflections inside the room. They do not dampen sound, they do not reduce the volume of sounds carrying to/from the other rooms; to actually dampen noises carrying in/out of the room, you need mass.

so what if i hang up blankets, (super thick ones) and put the acoustic foam on those?

You can also something very minor like putting a towel/blanket at the base of your bedroom door. You can also opt to buy like a 10 dollar weatherstrip. Use "heavy" curtains to absorb noise. That's all I can think of at the moment for noise. I don't know about noise coming through the Sheetrock walls though. 

5 minutes ago, DVA said:

You can also something very minor like putting a towel/blanket at the base of your bedroom door. You can also opt to buy like a 10 dollar weatherstrip. Use "heavy" curtains to absorb noise. That's all I can think of at the moment for noise. I don't know about noise coming through the Sheetrock walls though. 

i am gonna put thick (supa  thicc) blankets, then acoustic paneling, and maybe a thick green blanket on top (for a green screen)

would that hat be a good idea? my back will be in a corner so the paneling does not need to cover the WHOLE wall, just half of it or so

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

so what if i hang up blankets, (super thick ones) and put the acoustic foam on those?

What good do you think putting foam on those would do? Blankets are already soft, they'd already reduce echo/reflections inside the room all by themselves. As for how much sound those blankets would absorb from the other room: put one around your head, listen to the sounds around you -- that's about the amount they'd help. If it's good enough for you, fine, but if it's not enough, then it's not enough.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i am gonna put thick (supa  thicc) blankets, then acoustic paneling, and maybe a thick green blanket on top (for a green screen)

would that hat be a good idea? my back will be in a corner so the paneling does not need to cover the WHOLE wall, just half of it or so

Moving blankets are generally cheap I think

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, WereCatf said:

What good do you think putting foam on those would do? Blankets are already soft, they'd already reduce echo/reflections inside the room all by themselves. As for how much sound those blankets would absorb from the other room: put one around your head, listen to the sounds around you -- that's about the amount they'd help. If it's good enough for you, fine, but if it's not enough, then it's not enough.

oh okay, but where would i find a blanket thick enough? i did a quick search of 

“super thick blankets”

”thick blankets”

”thicc blanket”

but it nothing comes up that looks promising

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

If you're going to pin the blankets to the walls, (maybe?). It might look weird, or what about when you want to use those to keep you warm lol. 

Do you have carpet in your room? If you have hardwood or tile you could try buying a rug to reduce a little bit more of the noise. But again, it seems like your source of the noise is from outside the room, not within. So I'm not entirely sure. Does Google have any of these answers? :D

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Moving blankets are generally cheap I think

moving blankets? i will look into it, thanks 

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

If you're going to pin the blankets to the walls, (maybe?). It might look weird, or what about when you want to use those to keep you warm lol. 

Do you have carpet in your room? If you have hardwood or tile you could try buying a rug to reduce a little bit more of the noise. But again, it seems like your source of the noise is from outside the room, not within. So I'm not entirely sure. Does Google have any of these answers? :D

meh, i’m in florida, it doesn’t get cold here

3 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

oh okay, but where would i find a blanket thick enough? i did a quick search of 

“super thick blankets”

”thick blankets”

”thicc blanket”

but it nothing comes up that looks promising

Can't help you there, I'm not Murican nor do I find the topic of blankets interesting enough to memorize which places have which kinds of blankets available. Also, personally, I do not think you'll get what you want with blankets, but feel free to give it a try anyways.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Can't help you there, I'm not Murican nor do I find the topic of blankets interesting enough to memorize which places have which kinds of blankets available. Also, personally, I do not think you'll get what you want with blankets, but feel free to give it a try anyways.

what about if i put metal on my wall? it will be a bit expensive, but i could scare some metal onto my wall (probably 1/16th inch) and then put the acoustic paneling on it.. i’ve never really dealt with sound dampening.. but i assume by adding mass to the wall it will prevent sound..

while typung this i remembered, 

i have about 30 metal sheets (not sheets, necessarily) but metal things with walls, they seem to be pretty solid (but flexible) they should help if i were to double stack them, THEN put paneling on top.. 

in theory it would work, i just need to clean them, they have been outside for a while

2 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

are there any cheap heap methods to make it to where i can record without the whole house knowing? my parents let me, but they are loud and i don’t want there shows, talking, or music in my background audio (copyright stuff)

is is there a way to get acoustic panels cheap? and how well do those work? i just need it to cover 1 wall, i will have a green screen behind me, and i do not care about the noises outside (i have an acre yard and the road is on the other side of it) even then, you can’t hear the vehicles on the road from my house..  so how much would it cost to dampen the sounds on just one wall? 

For your walls you can get acoustic foam for about $1/square foot

12 minutes ago, Lil Ramen said:

For your walls you can get acoustic foam for about $1/square foot

the wall i’m planning for is approximately 11 feet long and 7 feet high.. i went ahead and measured the rest of my room too though (below)

so about $77? that’s not bad

E6FFA489-E575-4C46-BB2C-3ABAF16AC505.png

9 hours ago, Streetguru said:

9 hours ago, WereCatf said:

This. Blankets and foam sort of just dampen sound, not cancel it. Sound cancellation and sound dampening are two very different things and sound cancellation is hard to achieve. If you have a thin hollow door, I'd suggest getting a solid one. Cover any seams with foam gasket. Thick comforter blankets will help reduce sound, and for super cheap you could get some of those mattress foam pad things. There's different thicknesses, foams, and costs with each.

Just keep in mind that this is just dampening sound, not eliminating it.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

This. Blankets and foam sort of just dampen sound, not cancel it. Sound cancellation and sound dampening are two very different things and sound cancellation is hard to achieve. If you have a thin hollow door, I'd suggest getting a solid one. Cover any seams with foam gasket. Thick comforter blankets will help reduce sound, and for super cheap you could get some of those mattress foam pad things. There's different thicknesses, foams, and costs with each.

Just keep in mind that this is just dampening sound, not eliminating it.

all i need is to able to talk a bit louder than normal without people hearing me in the next room, there is a hallway (about 6ft long) and then the living room

here is a sketch.. 

room 1 is the room i wanna soundproof

room 2 is the hallway

room 3 is my bathroom

room 4 is the room i don’t want to hear 

DF30D5D7-F1DE-4E32-AB0A-CE74B5E9AB36.png

Soundproofing the way you want can't be done with blankets and or cheap stuff. Those solutions are great for minimising echo/reflections in the room, but in order to stop sound from entering or leaving the room you'll have to heavily modify the room, to the point where it gets really expensive and or time consuming. Basically it would mean turning the room into a recording studio. Even if you could use blankets, your room would be a mess. Think of what that'd look like; a room with blanketed walls (probably also "ghetto mounted" blankets because you want it cheap) 

Why would you care about other people being able to hear you when you record in the first place? Does it disturb these other people? Most likely it doesn't, unless you're talking really loud or record videos all the time every day. Also, other peole being able to hear you when you record is indeed a little awkward (I make videos too and I've got the same problem) but you get used to it.

4 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

I make videos too and I've got the same problem) but you get used to it

my problem is if i know people can hear me IRL while recording, it affects my performance and it is noticeable on the recording and i sound SUPER awkward 

11 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

my problem is if i know people can hear me IRL while recording, it affects my performance and it is noticeable on the recording and i sound SUPER awkward 

That's just something you'll have to get over honestly bro. Think of all the YouTubers that are succesful, what if they had stayed timid SIMPLY because they knew their family could hear them. 

To me it sounds like your family supports you since they aren't stopping you. If you really want this to kick off, just shrug off the worry and do it! 

Image result for just do it meme gif

On 10/11/2018 at 11:58 AM, DVA said:

You can get pretty much the same thing, but 4 times as many for about $50 on Ebay.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

You can get pretty much the same thing, but 4 times as many for about $50 on Ebay.

link?

pwease?