has anybody got Overwatch to run smoothly on Linux yet?

Go to solution Solved by Ashley MLP Fangirl,

i installled my 780Ti and the nvidia drivers, and now i got it to work. Overwatch using DXVK at low to medium settings 60fps. with occasional stutters but i didn't notice them that much. i still had a lot of fun playing. 

the only problem now is that my blizzard app is broken. i need to launch the game manually. but i'll figure that out. can't be too difficult. 

but besides that it's working now. 

i don't really mind having to play at medium or low settings. to me the convenience of not having to dual-boot is way more important. 

*disclaimer* i don't play competitive, so if you do your experience may be worse considering it does still stutter sometimes *disclaimer*

@Lukyp @Radium_Angel @NelizMastr massive thanks for all the help :) 

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

Uh...Strange enough...How can you not use a ramdisk? sudo pacman -S mkinitcpio

what? i pasted that into a terminal, shorted it to mkinitcpio and added -P and now it works. 

anyway, this line appeared: ==> ERROR: module not found: `amdgpu'

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

what? i pasted that into a terminal, shorted it to mkinitcpio and added -P and now it works. 

anyway, this line appeared: ==> ERROR: module not found: `amdgpu'

lol wtf seriously...the amdgpu kernel module is present since linux years... Are you sure you are not using some custom kernel? Try installing another linux kernel package, try sudo pacman -S linux417

lol wtf seriously...the amdgpu kernel module is present since linux years... Are you sure you are not using some custom kernel? Try installing another linux kernel package, try sudo pacman -S linux417

i'm using this one: 4.18.12-1-MANJARO

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm using this one: 4.18.12-1-MANJARO

Anyway as you reboot you should see another manjaro kernel option, try booting into linux417 (4.17)

Anyway as you reboot you should see another manjaro kernel option, try booting into linux417 (4.17)

i'll try it but i'm sceptical. why would running an older kernel help?

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i'll try it but i'm sceptical. why would running an older kernel help?

I thought that newer kernel may have problems with the amdgpu module for some reason...

Anyway I think we made something wrong by the way, I said you to uninstall the radeon driver, but searching on the internet seems like the video-linux mhwd module actually supports all open source drivers, so we made a mistake and for some reason only the radeon module is present but still not loaded. 
So all we had to do was forcing amdgpu to run with those kernel parameter command, try installing again video-linux from mhwd
That should be something like sudo mhwd -i pci video-linux 

But.. Also...In my testing environment having video-linux uninstalled the amdgpu module can be loaded anyway through modprobe or from mkinitcpio, so still some strange things from your configuration 

4 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

I thought that newer kernel may have problems with the amdgpu module for some reason...

Anyway I think we made something wrong by the way, I said you to uninstall the radeon driver, but searching on the internet seems like the video-linux mhwd module actually supports all open source drivers, so we made a mistake and for some reason only the radeon module is present but still not loaded. 
So all we had to do was forcing amdgpu to run with those kernel parameter command, try installing again video-linux from mhwd
That should be something like sudo mhwd -i pci video-linux 

i figured out why it said error amdgpu not found. for some reason i had kernel 3.16 installed because of virtualbox host modules, and the error appeared when it was rebuilding that. 

i'm rebooting now for video-linux. 

She/Her

@Lukyp still radeon... 

i'm at the point of giving up. i'll just install a GTX 780Ti i still have, which is about the same in performance as the 290X anyway, and i'll try that. 

i was planning on selling that 780 but oh well. 

massive thanks for all your help!! :) 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i figured out why it said error amdgpu not found. for some reason i had kernel 3.16 installed because of virtualbox host modules, and the error appeared when it was rebuilding that. 

i'm rebooting now for video-linux. 

Oh yes because when you install virtualbox, it lets you choose which kernel and kernel-modules to install with, and for some reason by default it pointed to linux3.16 modules which also installed that kernel. 
Anyway that is normal, now just remove that old kernel (pacman -Rsc linux316) and rebuild again the initramfs (for some reason it is not present on your PATH, reinstall with pacman -S mkinitcpio and make sure the amdgpu module gets into it) 

Oh yes because when you install virtualbox, it lets you choose which kernel and kernel-modules to install with, and for some reason by default it pointed to linux3.16 modules which also installed that kernel. 
Anyway that is normal, now just remove that old kernel (pacman -Rsc linux316) and rebuild again the initramfs (for some reason it is not present on your PATH, reinstall with pacman -S mkinitcpio and make sure the amdgpu module gets into it) 

i did all that except reinstalling mkinitcpio, no errors about amdgpu, and still it uses radeon. 

i'm just gonna put an nvidia card in and call it a day :P 

thanks again for your help :) 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i did all that except reinstalling mkinitcpio, no errors about amdgpu, and still it uses radeon. 

i'm just gonna put an nvidia card in and call it a day :P 

thanks again for your help :) 

Uhh..K, nevermind, but that is strange btw.

11 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Uhh..K, nevermind, but that is strange btw.

i'm just giving up at this point. i've got a spare GTX 780Ti so i'm gonna use that. 

and i know it's strange, but then again it is my computer. it's done stranger things in the past. 

She/Her

i installled my 780Ti and the nvidia drivers, and now i got it to work. Overwatch using DXVK at low to medium settings 60fps. with occasional stutters but i didn't notice them that much. i still had a lot of fun playing. 

the only problem now is that my blizzard app is broken. i need to launch the game manually. but i'll figure that out. can't be too difficult. 

but besides that it's working now. 

i don't really mind having to play at medium or low settings. to me the convenience of not having to dual-boot is way more important. 

*disclaimer* i don't play competitive, so if you do your experience may be worse considering it does still stutter sometimes *disclaimer*

@Lukyp @Radium_Angel @NelizMastr massive thanks for all the help :) 

She/Her