Laptop Overclocking

Hello,

Is it possible to overclock the laptop? 

MSI GE63 8RF-099CA

And WHY NOT?

Thank You

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

GPU yes, cpu you cannot increase clock speed.

I agree. plus even if you do overclock your going to run into thermal and power limits as laptops aren't meant for that and its not really worth the risk and time on laptops.

14 minutes ago, RedShank said:

And WHY NOT?

Either because the manufacturer didn't allow for it through BIOS, the CPU isn't unlocked, hitting thermal limits, or hitting power limits. You have 230W to play with, including having enough to spare for battery charging which will probably take at least 20-30 watts on its own.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Either because the manufacturer didn't allow for it through BIOS, the CPU isn't unlocked, hitting thermal limits, or hitting power limits. You have 230W to play with, including having enough to spare for battery charging which will probably take at least 20-30 watts on its own.

just stick with base clocks cause its a laptop and you want it to just work. Overclocking can add instability and if done wrong with the wrong cooling can damage the hardware

Laptops were designed with both thermal and power limitations in mind. Certain brands of "gaming" laptops allow for some overclocking but as someone else already pointed out its usually only for GPUs, due to their larger design allows for more cooling. That's why you can pay thousands for a laptop but a PC that's costs substantially less can be more powerful since its does not have the same thermal limitations.

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

GPU yes, cpu you cannot increase clock speed.

How can I overclock GPU in my laptop

Thanks for your response

1 hour ago, Turretgaming said:

I agree. plus even if you do overclock your going to run into thermal and power limits as laptops aren't meant for that and its not really worth the risk and time on laptops.

so its possible to overclock CPU, how can I do so?

Thanks your response

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As for the hitting limit, I am planning to have Liquid Metal for extra cooling. And for the power what if I use 330W instead of 230W is possible?

Thanks for your response

2 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Laptops were designed with both thermal and power limitations in mind. Certain brands of "gaming" laptops allow for some overclocking but as someone else already pointed out its usually only for GPUs, due to their larger design allows for more cooling. That's why you can pay thousands for a laptop but a PC that's costs substantially less can be more powerful since its does not have the same thermal limitations.

As for the hitting limit, I am planning to have Liquid Metal for extra cooling.

And for the power what if I use 330W instead of 230W is possible?

Thanks for your response

6 hours ago, RedShank said:

As for the hitting limit, I am planning to have Liquid Metal for extra cooling. And for the power what if I use 330W instead of 230W is possible?

Thanks for your response

If you can find a compatible power supply then probably. But there's the question of if the power delivery circuitry can handle it. If we assume 200W is the most the system needs, then you're asking for the existing circuitry to handle 33% more power, which it may not be capable of doing so

55 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

afterburner for GPU

intel XTU for CPU (cant increase clock speed)

I tried the MSI afterburner but it's not working for my laptop!

Let me tell you a thing: DON'T bother with overclocking in laptops. What you should do first is try to lower the hardware temps so that you won't encounter any throttling and prolong hardware life.

Undervolt CPU and GPU. See my signature for guides

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128