Only 2 front speakers working in a 5.1 system

Alex976

So yesterday i bought some new Trust Vigor 5.1 speakers, i have set them up, connected them to my pc properly and when i tested them, only the 2 front speakers are working. My motherboard is a MSI Z97 Gaming 3 and it supports even 7.1 so the motherboard supports 5.1. I have installed all the recent Realtek Audio HD drivers and i also set the 5.1 option both in windows (10) settings and in the Realtek control panel. I also tried to connect every single speaker to my phone or any device with a 3.5 mm jack and they all worked, so they're not broken. The speakers are being seen by the pc i mean, all the connections are effective. I don't know what to do, please help!!

What have you tried running then with? Maybe the source wasn't 5 channel. Does the Realtek speaker test work? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

same prob here mine realtek sofware noware to be found litterly tried evrything. but thru windows min work in 5.1 but in mediaplayer or firefox youtube i get 2.1 ;(

46 minutes ago, Alex976 said:

So yesterday i bought some new Trust Vigor 5.1 speakers, i have set them up, connected them to my pc properly and when i tested them, only the 2 front speakers are working. My motherboard is a MSI Z97 Gaming 3 and it supports even 7.1 so the motherboard supports 5.1. I have installed all the recent Realtek Audio HD drivers and i also set the 5.1 option both in windows (10) settings and in the Realtek control panel. I also tried to connect every single speaker to my phone or any device with a 3.5 mm jack and they all worked, so they're not broken. The speakers are being seen by the pc i mean, all the connections are effective. I don't know what to do, please help!!

28 minutes ago, Yankee delta said:

same prob here mine realtek sofware noware to be found litterly tried evrything. but thru windows min work in 5.1 but in mediaplayer or firefox youtube i get 2.1 ;(

As stated by @FloRolf the source of whatever you are playing needs to be 5.1 to get 5.1

In the case of Youtube for example, that will always be 2.0 since it doesnt not support anything above it

And anything you play in mediaplayer will need to be 5.1 to play back on all 5 speakers.

There should be a setting for "Surround" that will spread the stereo source to all speakers. 

well i first had the speaker set whit my other pc and wile it wassent really 5.1 all the 5 speakers worked on youtube whit firefox. and in mediaplayer all that is checked on. But i cant finde the realtek program to set it up. only the widows program.

53 minutes ago, Dujith said:

As stated by @FloRolf the source of whatever you are playing needs to be 5.1 to get 5.1

In the case of Youtube for example, that will always be 2.0 since it doesnt not support anything above it

And anything you play in mediaplayer will need to be 5.1 to play back on all 5 speakers.

There should be a setting for "Surround" that will spread the stereo source to all speakers. 

I know but even if it's 2.1 it should play from all speakers, shouldn't they?

8 minutes ago, Alex976 said:

I know but even if it's 2.1 it should play from all speakers, shouldn't they?

Not unless you told the system to do so. 2.1 is just that: LF, RF, Sub

The Center, LS,RS should only play sound if the channel in question has sound :D And that would only be a 5.1/7.1 source.

Thing is that most consumer 5.1 sets like by your tv do this without you asking. But your computer wont.

There are lots of systems to expand that to all speakers like Dolby Pro Logic, DTS:NEO ect ect.

In the Realtek settings there should be an option to do this. 

59 minutes ago, Yankee delta said:

well i first had the speaker set whit my other pc and wile it wassent really 5.1 all the 5 speakers worked on youtube whit firefox. and in mediaplayer all that is checked on. But i cant finde the realtek program to set it up. only the widows program.

On your others system something was prob on for that. Most likely Speaker Fill.

6 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Not unless you told the system to do so. 2.1 is just that: LF, RF, Sub

The Center, LS,RS should only play sound if the channel in question has sound :D And that would only be a 5.1/7.1 source.

Thing is that most consumer 5.1 sets like by your tv do this without you asking. But your computer wont.

There are lots of systems to expand that to all speakers like Dolby Pro Logic, DTS:NEO ect ect.

In the Realtek settings there should be an option to do this. 

So you said that in 2.1 only 2 speaker and the subwoofer work, mine doesn't

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

Even with that surround setting it doesn't work. Not even the subwoofer, just 2 speakers...

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

What have you tried running then with? Maybe the source wasn't 5 channel. Does the Realtek speaker test work? 

Well the test works only for: the 2 front speakers and for the central speaker...

31 minutes ago, Alex976 said:

Even with that surround setting it doesn't work. Not even the subwoofer, just 2 speakers...

Sounds like a Windows 10 and Realtek problem. You can find multiple people who lost their 5.1 after updates or never worked it seems :S

You could try to download the driver from realtek or the one from MSI.

Did you do the test with the windows mixer or the realtek application?

Just to make sure can u post a photo on how you connected the jacks in the motherboard?

50 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Sounds like a Windows 10 and Realtek problem. You can find multiple people who lost their 5.1 after updates or never worked it seems :S

You could try to download the driver from realtek or the one from MSI.

Did you do the test with the windows mixer or the realtek application?

Just to make sure can u post a photo on how you connected the jacks in the motherboard?

I already had the most recent driver from Realtek

I did the test with both Realtek and Windows and in every case only the 2 front speakers and the central speaker worked

The cables are connected perfectly fine but even if, i'll send the pic in a few hours

1 minute ago, Alex976 said:

I already had the most recent driver from Realtek

I did the test with both Realtek and Windows and in every case only the 2 front speakers and the central speaker worked

The cables are connected perfectly fine but even if, i'll send the pic in a few hours

If you can also some screenshots from the speaker settings, both in windows mixer and realtek app.

wel mine problem then now is realtk wont show up i tried installing the new drivers but no luck :/

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

If you can also some screenshots from the speaker settings, both in windows mixer and realtek app.

My pc is in italian, i hope it it's not a problem?

20181011_135256.jpg

20181011_135034.jpg

20181011_135339.jpg

20181011_135356.jpg

Okay, so its not connected correctly :P  (the one in the mic is a mic looking at the different cable?)

Right now you have one in the SS which is the Side Speakers for the 7.1

I cannot tell what the others are but i think you need to check the colors of the speakers to see what goes where.

As far i i can tell from this the Rear speakers will not work atm as nothing is plugged in.

I'll dig up the manual for the speakers and double check

audiolayout.JPG

audio.JPG

5 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Okay, so its not connected correctly :P  (the one in the mic is a mic looking at the different cable?)

Right now you have one in the SS which is the Side Speakers for the 7.1

I cannot tell what the others are but i think you need to check the colors of the speakers to see what goes where.

As far i i can tell from this the Rear speakers will not work atm as nothing is plugged in.

I'll dig up the manual for the speakers and double check

audiolayout.JPG

audio.JPG

Ok so you were right, they now work in all the tests but the subwoofer doesn't

4 minutes ago, Alex976 said:

Ok so you were right, they now work in all the tests but the subwoofer doesn't

I also noticed why it was connected this way, the Trust manual is wrong. They say to connect it to the side channels.... :( Stupid Trust.

Anyway, about the sub. If i remember correctly i couldnt test mine either for some reason.

You should load up a 5.1 movie and just play and feel / hear if it does something.

wrongconnection.JPG

Just now, Dujith said:

I also noticed why it was connected this way, the Trust manual is wrong. They say to connect it to the side channels.... :( Stupid Trust.

Anyway, about the sub. If i remember correctly i couldnt test mine either for some reason.

You should load up a 5.1 movie and just play and feel / hear if it does something.

Can't i play music in 5.1?

Just now, Alex976 said:

Can't i play music in 5.1?

Only if the music was recorded in 5.1 and or the player fills all the speakers

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

I have a friend that plays music from youtube with all the speakers 

8 minutes ago, Dujith said:

The speaker fill option is enabled as you could see in the pics so i don't understand...

4 minutes ago, Alex976 said:

The speaker fill option is enabled as you could see in the pics so i don't understand...

This one too? Windows is a bit of a b$tch when it comes to sound.

Speaker Fill.png

6 minutes ago, Dujith said:

This one too? Windows is a bit of a b$tch when it comes to sound.

Speaker Fill.png

Yeah, that box is checked too