Razer launches the Razer Phone 2, now with an RGB logo

D13H4RD

razer_phone_2_1.jpg.d9352b2c43d586609738e9bec3afe03e.jpg

Barely a year after the launch of its predecessor, the Razer Phone 2 was just unveiled. 

The phone appears identical to its predecessor, although some key improvements were made. First, let's get the specs out of the way. 

Spoiler

SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845

CPU: Quad-core 2.85GHz Kryo 385 Gold (performance) + Quad-core 1.7GHz Kryo 385 Silver (efficiency)

GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 630

RAM: 8GB LPDDR4X

Storage: 64GB UFS 2.1 storage, microSDXC support 

Main camera: 12.2MP CMOS sensor w/ f/1.75 optically stabilized lens + 12MP CMOS sensor w/ f/2.6 lens w/ longer focal length 

Front camera: 8MP sensor w/ f/2 aperture, 60FPS recording 

Display: 5.72" 2560x1440 IGZO @ 120Hz

Audio: Dual front firing speakers, 32-bit DAC included with headphone dongle 

Battery: 4000mAh sealed Li-Po, fast wired charging (USB PD over QC4), fast wireless charging

The phone itself appears similar to its predecessor but makes some key changes within, one of which is a vapor chamber cooling solution that seems to be able to keep the device cool for longer.

Razer has also paired it with better thermals to provide the best possible performance. Using a “vapor chamber” cooling system, benchmarks report better results on the Razer Phone 2 compared to even the OnePlus 6.

There are some other improvements as well, such as the addition of wireless charging, a camera setup which looks to be overhauled, louder speakers, a display that's significantly brighter and IP67 water and dust resistance. 

There are some big improvements to the Razer Phone 2, though. It’s now IP67 water resistant but retains the same front-facing speakers. Thanks to a dedicated amp for each speaker, though, Razer has actually managed to make this year’s speakers even louder, topping out at 103db. The 120Hz display is also back, but this time it’s 50% brighter, maxing out at 580 nits. Razer has also managed to deliver compatibility with Verizon Wireless in the United States this time around.

The cameras have also seen some major improvements. Razer Phone 2 adopts a new dual-camera system which consists of a standard 12MP wide angle sensor with OIS, as well as a 13MP 2x telephoto lens. Both are IMX sensors, and there’s also a Full HD front-facing camera. Based on early samples, it does look like a solid improvement. Razer has also added portrait mode, a better panorama mode, and a new beauty mode as well, in addition to the low-light improvements.

And as the title states, the phone also has Chroma RGB support. This goes not only for the Razer Snake logo on the back, which also doubles as an LED notification light, but also for the wireless charging stand that Razer is selling alongside the Razer Phone 2. 

razer_phone_2_wireless_charging.jpg.71b7475fd9eb2c3146361da84cf960f6.jpg

How much does all of this cost? 

As far as pricing is concerned, the Razer Phone 2 is $799, undercutting a lot of other major flagships but still a $100 increase from the original. Shipping starts “soon,” with pre-orders opening tonight. The “Mirror” finish will be available immediately with a matte “Satin” finish coming later in the year.

Source: 9to5Google

D13H4RD's opinion 

Despite my prejudice against Razer, mostly for their laptops, I quite liked the Razer Phone. It was different from the rest of the glass slabs and actually delivered stuff I had wanted, sans headphone jack. 

Well, this year, they seem to be correcting many of the problems people had with the prior. The cooling system looks to be better, the camera especially seems much more competitive and those speakers. 

Sadly, they went glass due to wireless charging. Hoping the matte version is nice. And also no headphone jack. I don't know but after seeing the RoG Phone and Galaxy Note9, I'm becoming less forgiving of phones that are big but somehow can't put a headphone jack. The predecessor didn't have one too, FWIW.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Yeah, one headphone jack short of being a near perfect media/gaming phone.

Well not sure how good the contrast of this display will be... oled's are just soo hard to beat for mobile media as a result, but those speakers.... gushing like it's 2014 and my M8 seems modern again...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

but those speakers.... gushing like it's 2014 and my M8 seems modern again...

Yep, always loved those speakers. 

I took my HTC One M7 out of mothball and finally got the battery swapped and the camera changed. I immediately remembered why I got this phone over the Galaxy S4 the moment I played a YouTube video. 

They sound fantastic still 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I expected nothing less. RGB is becoming a standard in today’s market. Not surprising.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

Its a "gaming phone" yet runs a Snapdragon 845. The only thing that makes this a "gaming phone" is the RGB vomit and the 120Hz display......

(of which 0 games are going to take advantage of since most mobile games are capped at 60fps and its not like an 845 is going to be rendering more than that, lol)

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Its a "gaming phone" yet runs a Snapdragon 845. The only thing that makes this a "gaming phone" is the RGB vomit and the 120Hz display......

I don't think they could have gone for anything better in the Android space. 

There's no new Tegra SoC, Apple's A-Series is limited to iPhones and MediaTek is so shite, they've basically evaporated from the market. 

I still do like the 120Hz display because it makes general use so much more pleasant and fluid. It's why I'm eagerly waiting for ProMotion to head its way to iPhones and others to follow suit. 120Hz isn't just a gaming thing. It actually affects daily use in a positive manner. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

(of which 0 games are going to take advantage of since most mobile games are capped at 60fps and its not like an 845 is going to be rendering more than that, lol)

No, that thing runs on a 32 core Intel xeons. Don't you see that thing is already beefier than your potatoe Mac and desktop PC combined? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I still do like the 120Hz display because it makes general use so much more pleasant and fluid.

Yeah but this is Android, unless developers update their apps just for the Razor Phone, everything is still going to run at 60fps

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah but this is Android, unless developers update their apps just for the Razor Phone, everything is still going to run at 60fps

TBH, you (and I) would be surprised. Saw this list 8 months ago or so. Not sure how much things have changed since then... but it isn't "small" considering it covers a number of the popular games (in each genre) anyways.

FROM Razer's website

The list is as of January 2018, however, new titles are being added all the time and other titles may be supported.

Fighting

• Tekken Mobile
  • Injustice
  • Injustice 2
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Marvel Contest of Champions
  • Shadow Fight 3

Racing

• Gear.Club
  • Real Racing 3
  • Hill Climb Racing 2

RPG/MMORPG

• Battlejack: Blackjack RPG
  • Evoland
  • FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS
  • Final Fantasy XV: Personal Edition
  • Fire Emblem Heroes
  • Lineage 2: Revolution
  • MARVEL Future Fight
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War
  • Old School Runescape
  • Runescape
  • Space Rangers: Legacy
  • Vendetta Online
  • Summoners War: Sky Arena
  • Soul Seeker
  • Wonder Tactics

Arcade

• Pac-Man
  • Pac-Man Pop!
  • RC Soccer
  • Super Samurai Rampage
  • Chicken Jump
  • Zen Pinball
  • CATS: Crash Arena
  • Turbo Stars
  • Super Mario Run
  • Subway Surfers
  • Sonic Forces: Speed Battle
  • Cooking Craze - A Fast & Fun Restaurant Chef Game
  • BUST-A-MOVE JOURNEY
  • Space Invaders Infinity Gene
  • RAYSTORM
  • DARIUSBURST -SP-

MOBA

• Arena of Valor
  • Vainglory

FPS

• Shadowgun Legends
  • Hitman Sniper

RTS

• Titanfall Assault
  • Warhammer 40k: Freeblade
  • Warfair
  • World of Tanks: Blitz

Action-Adventure

• #KillAllZombies
  • Alto's Adventure
  • Bleach Brave Souls
  • Bug Butcher
  • Caterzillar
  • Don't Starve
  • Don't Starve: Shipwrecked
  • Far Tin Bandits

Sandbox

• Minecraft
  • Sandbox 3d

Other

• Armajet
  • Boggle With Friends: Word Game
  • Card Thief
  • Chameleon Run
  • The Simpsons: Tapped Out

Puzzle/Strategy

• Star Vikings
  • Puzzle Quest 2
  • Mini Metro
  • Hitman Go
  • Lara Croft Go
  • Deus Ex Go
  • Flippy Knife
  • Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle
  • South Park Phone Destroyer
  • Ballz
  • Heart Star
  • I Love Hue
  • Groove Coaster 2

Sports

• Big Shot Boxing
  • Golf Clash
  • Golf Star
  • MLB 9 Innings 17
  • OK Golf
  • Pumped 3

Rythym

• Dub Dash

Location-based

• Pokemon Go

Apps

• Plex

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Side note, I would love to see a head to head review comparison of this and the ROG Phone. Asus went with a 90Hz amoled display instead of the 120hz igzo lcd. Also Asus's speakers look a bit less robust, but still stereo at least. 

Would be a nice comparison to have for those that are interested.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

6 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

TBH, you (and I) would be surprised. Saw this list 8 months ago or so. Not sure how much things have changed since then... but it isn't "small" considering it covers a number of the most popular games (in each genre) anyways.

The list is as of January 2018, however, new titles are being added all the time and other titles may be supported.

Ahh, well in that case I’ll just move these goalposts ? and just say how bad mobile gaming is in general. 

Something something, iOS versions of the app are usually better, something something better graphics APIs..........3D Touch controls? 

god I need to go to bed......and Razor needs to get those sales numbers up. Lol

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

As long as it’s the core apps, I’m going to be fine.

All I’m waiting for is that one big push, and guess who has the influence to do so? Starts with an A.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ahh, well in that case I’ll just move these goalposts ? and just say how bad mobile gaming is in general. 

Something something, iOS versions of the app are usually better, something something better graphics APIs..........3D Touch controls? 

god I need to go to bed......and Razor needs to get those sales numbers up. Lol

Understandable (for now ;) ). Asus also officially announced their gaming phone finally, so might be something we see rather quickly adopted moving forward. 90 Hz Oled vs 120 Hz LCD? It would have to be one hell of an lcd for me to take that trade.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

All I’m waiting for is that one big push, and guess who has the influence to do so? Starts with an A.

Sucks that iPhone Xs and Xs Max did not have 120Hz displays. But with the phone already so expensive I think adding ProMotion on an OLED panel shaped so odly probably got put off until it’s more affordable for everyone. (They already have 120Hz Touch input)

Maybe we will see it in iPhone XI....11? Are they just going to call it iPhone from now on? 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sucks that iPhone Xs and Xs Max did not have 120Hz displays. But with the phone already so expensive I think adding ProMotion on an OLED panel shaped so odly probably got put off until it’s more affordable for everyone. 

I'm honestly not sure if such a panel is ready even for low-quantity use yet anyways. Asus obviously would have preferred 120Hz to 90, but 90 was all they are shipping at the moment.

Preorders start the 18th (DON'T PREORDER), and at least one review is known to be coming Oct 22.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

I'm honestly not sure if such a panel is ready even for low-quantity use yet anyways. 

A controller for OLED high refresh and dynamic refresh (remember ProMotion supports cinematic all the way up to 120Hz in steps) is probably a pain in the ass to design too. With Apple making their own Graphics they probably need a custom controller. 

All of course driving the price up. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

A controller for OLED high refresh and dynamic refresh (remember ProMotion supports cinematic all the way up to 120Hz in steps) is probably a pain in the ass to design too. With Apple making their own Graphics they probably need a custom controller. 

All of course driving the price up. 

Yeah, but ignoring that... I actually don't think such a panel exists yet. Otherwise, Asus would be pushing 120 just like Razor instead of 90 on their Oled panel. hehe

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Also....Android OEMs.....unless there is a heatsink in there and a fan....you don’t have a “cooling” solution. You have a heat redistribution solution. You’re just spreading the heat over more area, specifically the battery in the case of some phones with heat pipes these days. 

Spoiler

That’s not a good thing

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Also....Android OEMs.....unless there is a heatsink in there and a fan....you don’t have a “cooling” solution. You have a heat redistribution solution. You’re just spreading the heat over more area, specifically the battery in the case of some phones with heat pipes these days. 

Hide contents

That’s not a good thing

Well technically speaking... using a heatpipe to spread the heat more uniformly over a larger portion of the casing, behind the casing, shortens the mean thermal resistance path-length and thus improves cooling performance.

One can argue about the tradeoffs in battery temperature and SoC temperature, but it does help. Also, for better or worse, Asus is including in box their attachable fan system.

http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/FALL/thermodynamics/notes/node118.html

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

attachable fan system

Probably for worse. We can’t keep encouraging more heat output to the point where you might want a fan attached to your phone. 

Anroid chip designers need to focus on power efficiency and performance using low power cores and making sure the high power ones don’t fry. 

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Probably for worse. We can’t keep encouraging more heat output to the point where you might want a fan attached to your phone. 

Anroid chip designers need to focus on power efficiency and performance using low power cores and making sure the high power ones don’t fry. 

I think it's a fairly large issue for the mobile market in general. I don't see any significantly better throttling behaviors in this test on iOS devices compared to Android, and some of the Android devices even manage much lower throttling percentages. Either way though, ARM's biggest perf gains right now are in their little cores, so we should see that indeed continuing. 

3DMark Sling Shot 3.1 Extreme Unlimited - Physics

PS: Posting this image has nothing to do with scores across devices, but rather comparing devices in their own test after thermal loading (example the S9+ offers 73% sustained, the iPhone X offers 75%). I have no doubt that the A11 and A12 are notably stronger peak cpu's than their respective gen Snapdragon counterparts. Just look at the percentage of score for the Snap and Apple on each device. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Outside of their mice, I'm not really a huge fan of their products.  This phone is a gimmick like the ROG phone, but why do all these threads turn into Apple vs everything?   This is an android phone.

Cause one did it first ;)

Anyways, it wasn't actually an intense back and forth, more friendly conversing in this case. 

Definitely a gimmick for now, but I don't think any of us would dislike having high refresh rate displays and stereo sound become standard on phones.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Eh, to be fair they have fairly large speakers, and they use their own amps, which also requires additional space. Headphone jacks take up a fair bit of internal space.

I'd have liked to see a larger battery in this. Or hopefully better optimization.

Not really my type of phone, but I'm sure it'll sell decently.

I hate their events. Pretty cringe worthy.

...at the price, though, I'd rather have a Pixel 3.

55 minutes ago, Arika S said:

and the world goes "meh"

I did when I saw it was going to be the same, months ago, though I am surprised they upgraded as many aspects as they did.

28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Reveal hidden contents

That’s not a good thing

That's what a cooling solution is. Redistribution of heat. What exactly do you think a cooling solution is?

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Outside of their mice, I'm not really a huge fan of their products.  This phone is a gimmick like the ROG phone, but why do all these threads turn into Apple vs everything?   This is an android phone.

Because we have Apple's Industry Affiliate and Pusher, @DrMacintosh

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red