Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whitedragon101

iPad Pro vs Surface Pro vs Slate

Posted · Original PosterOP

The new Google Slate product totally baffles me. It has all the cons of a Surface Pro with none of the benefits. What customer will buy this? If you want a desktop on the go you get a Surface Pro, if you want more power at a lower price and can live without desktop apps you get an iPad Pro.

iPad Pro
Pro = Very fast, fair price (so far)
Cons = No desktop apps

Surface Pro
Pros = Desktop Windows Apps (a big pro)
Cons = Massive price, even $1700 i7 slower than an iPad Pro

Google Slate
Pro = ?
Cons = Massive price, even $1700 i7 slower than an iPad Pro, No desktop apps

Google isn’t a Hardware company. They want to be, but when you think about it the only good thing about Googles hardware products is the software that runs on them. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 6s Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: i5 4690k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-N WI-FI | RAM: 8GB Ballistix Sport | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Corsair H55 AiO | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

Just my two cents.  I have an iPad Pro (the large one, think it's 12), and it's great.  I take it with me to all my doctor appts or where ever else I need something to keep busy with while waiting.  I got one with 256 gigs of memory so I am able to store a boat load of movies on it for while waiting in the doctors office or watching while my wife drives.  It helps take my mind off her lack of driving skills.  It's fast and easy to learn how to use.  Granted, they are not cheap by any means but I believe that I have gotten my monies worth out of it and I recommend it whenever I get the chance so if you are in the market for a tablet type device, go with the iPad Pro.

I have a five year old Acer laptop that I also take with me for those times when a computer would be easier to use because of the software availability but it gets left home a lot now days since I'm retired.  Stick with the iPad.  I have a friend that bought a google chrome device and he hates it but has had it too long to take back.  It lacks when it comes to the software that it will run but he thought he would save money but in the long run, it has fallen really short of what he needed a laptop for.  He works out in the forest a lot since he is employed with the California Department of Forestry.

The Microsoft Surface Pro is EXTREMELY OVERPRICED.

Companies such as Dell, Acer, Asus, HP and others do just as good and will not kill you at the check out counter.

Good luck in making your choice.  Check all the options available and make sure that if you do get a notebook or laptop, whichever you choose to do, just make sure you get one you will be satisfied with a year down the road because warranties are limited.

If Apple creates a unified OS, there would be zero hesitation with going iPad Pro for most.

PRISIMHEART 2.0

Case: TT Core V1 || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 w/ FD Venturi fan || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Monitor: HP Omen 32

Here's how I see it. 

The iPad Pro is a tablet attempting to be a laptop 

The Surface Pro is a laptop attempting to be a tablet 

The Pixel Slate is a joke, especially when it starts with an Intel Celeron 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

If Apple creates a unified OS, there would be zero hesitation with going iPad Pro for most.

Apple have said they will never do this.  However I am very excited at their universal app program they announced at WWDC 2017. The idea is an app build for one platform IOS/MacOS will automatically work on the other.  That would be amazing.

My dream would be to have my desktop development apps on my iPad like Atom/Pinegrow/xCode