Lord Linus, get a steadycam!

zassou

Recent ltt videos are shaky af, i mean you aren't making Cloverfield 2 why all those unnecessary camera shakes? Buying an 8k cine camera and just go all in war zone style handheld action? Jeez, i haven't finished watching a single ltt video for months. I do have motion sickness issue but this is unbearable. 

Look at other tech channels, Mkbhd, Austin Evans, Hardware Canucks, none of them are doing this handheld nonsense, and Gamersfuckingnexus, they just moved to their new digs recently, compared to your budget their set is jank af but they still managed to stabilise the camera using a bloody lamppost on wheels! 

Buy a proper gymbal, steadycam or whatever. Better yet, fire that anonymous cameraguy, and let Dennis or Brandon behind the camera. 

I always like your contents, sorry for the dislikes, you deserve them. 

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

7 minutes ago, zassou said:

Recent ltt videos are shaky af, i mean you aren't making Cloverfield 2 why all those unnecessary camera shakes? Buying an 8k cine camera and just go all in war zone style handheld action? Jeez, i haven't finished watching a single ltt video for months. I do have motion sickness issue but this is unbearable. 

Look at other tech channels, Mkbhd, Austin Evans, Hardware Canucks, none of them are doing this handheld nonsense, and Gamersfuckingnexus, they just moved to their new digs recently, compared to your budget their set is jank af but they still managed to stabilise the camera using a bloody lamppost on wheels! 

Buy a proper gymbal, steadycam or whatever. Better yet, fire that anonymous cameraguy, and let Dennis or Brandon behind the camera. 

I always like your contents, sorry for the dislikes, you deserve them. 

what video in particular ?
because they do have a steadycam..

image.png.51ae34377036567e8c0551294c2898ac.png
tbh it would be hillarious if the video you're talking about was shot by either of them xD 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

4 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

what video in particular ?
because they do have a steadycam..

tbh it would be hillarious if the video you're talking about was shot by either of them xD 

Maybe it's the unboxings, the ones filmed in Linus's office? I'm not quite sure.

I don't recall any other video where the camera can be remotely described as "Shaky"

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

1 minute ago, bleedblue said:

Maybe it's the unboxings, the ones filmed in Linus's office? I'm not quite sure.

I don't recall any other video where the camera can be remotely described as "Shaky"

same here, though it does happen that they film and its crazy, but maybe like. 1 video every 3 months or something ?
barely ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

They actually have an entire full-body harness for the purpose of stabilization that would put a "steady cam" to shame.  If you're noticing issues, perhaps they need to adjust settings though, or it was a more casual video where it wasn't used? 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, givingtnt said:

C'mon, we all know if Dennis was the camera operator it would just be 2 hours of footage of the inside of a lense cap. ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, VegetableStu said:

I think they're using this

which is to make the camera lighter. the bounce is probably from the operator not carrying the weight of the camera enough ,_,

They showed it briefly in one video, can't remember which though.  I'm pretty sure it had some serious stabilization built in.  If not, I'll be shocked and retract my comment....

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

C'mon, we all know if Dennis was the camera operator it would just be 2 hours of footage of the inside of a lense cap. 1f602.png

if Dennis is really a tool like the memes suggests, he would be fired years ago, instead he is one of the oldest guy at lmg.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

9 hours ago, zassou said:

if Dennis is really a tool like the memes suggests, he would be fired years ago, instead he is one of the oldest guy at lmg.

LOL I dont know about age, but I know he had to get a work permit, I guess no Canadian citizen could fill the job.

That was because they were laughing...try holding a heavy-ass camera, even with a harness on, while laughing. Not easy.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Source? Otherwise you are the one looking bad. Also many other youtubers use static or panning stands vs Linus bouncing around the place all the time. Even now mighty camera god Brandon had hard time keeping up with him at first.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You really don't need a steady cam for this.  You can stabilize an image using software in post.  I don't know if they ever do this, but I know other video production people that don't bother, because they don't have a problem with it personally.  Whereas it can make some people physically ill.

I personally find it annoying (because it's relatively easy to fix), but not stomach churning.

31 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

You really don't need a steady cam for this.  You can stabilize an image using software in post.  I don't know if they ever do this, but I know other video production people that don't bother, because they don't have a problem with it personally.  Whereas it can make some people physically ill.

I personally find it annoying (because it's relatively easy to fix), but not stomach churning.

That is always an option but there are two significant downsides to doing it that way:

1. You need to film "wider" than you otherwise would in order to give room to move the image around for stabilization.  This means reduced quality of the final image, as well as having to think differently about how you frame things, which is something you practice a lot and becomes ingrained, making changing it hard.
  2. Doing this in post takes a lot of processing power and time which would seriously hinder their effectiveness, and time is money.